Going tomorrow to a property where the British camped here in Louisiana.

Normsel

Bronze Member
Sep 10, 2012
D'Iberville MS
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Equinox 800
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had severe poison ivy and chiggers. Actually if you rub bleach on poison ivy it helps a lot. Chiggers are a different story. I use nail polish or nu skin. I was lost in a woods in KY for 7 hours on a 95 degree day and encountered both poison ivy and chiggers. I am pretty experienced in the woods and even mountains. That day I made a rookie mistake by not marking my trail with broken twigs or bent branches. When I finally found a road I was 6 miles from where I started. I have wandered around a few semi swampy areas here on the gulf coast but trudging around in them at my age wears me out in a cpl of hours. I never got as much as a beep where an old homestead was supposed to be. I think I will leave the Louisiana swamps to Possumcop and Truth

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have had severe poison ivy and chiggers. Actually if you rub bleach on poison ivy it helps a lot. Chiggers are a different story. I use nail polish or nu skin. I was lost in a woods in KY for 7 hours on a 95 degree day and encountered both poison ivy and chiggers. I am pretty experienced in the woods and even mountains. That day I made a rookie mistake by not marking my trail with broken twigs or bent branches. When I finally found a road I was 6 miles from where I started. I have wandered around a few semi swampy areas here on the gulf coast but trudging around in them at my age wears me out in a cpl of hours. I never got as much as a beep where an old homestead was supposed to be. I think I will leave the Louisiana swamps to Possumcop and Truth

Normsel I swear I don’t even now what a Chigger is. Never had that I know you live in our brother state Mississippi, so we must have them here. This is the first time I ever got poison ivy.

P.S. The swamps suck, but that how we won the battle :)

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Truth, I read Possumcop's post on his misadventure in the land of the lost. I also posted on his thread a report I read from archaeologists from several years ago, I guess 10 or so, the present Chalmette Battlefield has sunk about 5 feet since 1814. They determined the ground has sunk that much, and the actual ground they stood on is now 5' down. You will have to look for naturally high areas (yes, in LA, I get that) for your best options for getting anything. Or a nearby construction site.

High ground? We don’t even have a hill here.: laughing

Wait if “everything” all the land sank 5 feet and during that time relics sank the 5ft plus day 8 inches, wouldn’t it still be only 8 inches down from my feet?

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think the Archie’s dug and found the stuff deep. I used to visit down there a lot in the past. Only one way to find out.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the Archie’s dug and found the stuff deep. I used to visit down there a lot in the past. Only one way to find out.

Well we came up with nothing but newer shotgun shells and heat stoke, so your theory might trump mine. Lol

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've only seen a few items from the New Orleans campaign. One was a hat badge found near Lake Ponchatrain which I bought and resold and the other a small grouping of relics from Dauphin, Island, Alabama from 30 years ago. I have three round musket balls from the campaign I bought years ago, but if anyone has actively found anything over the last 20 years, I have not gotten wind of it. I know of a collector of stuff from that area, he lives nearby and has stated the stuff is hard for him to buy.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not really my theory. You might find something on the net regarding that area. Normally, the staging areas are the best, like Dauphin Island. If you found breastworks in the woods, I'd try that first. Maybe come fall? Not worth dying over and I doubt you have any competition. If you can still see a breastwork or trench, that area did not sink. If your shotshell bases were old-er, I'd say nobody hit that area. Those targets are hard to miss.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That heat will fool you sometime. I got bad hot about a month ago and got the shakes.. Glad y'all meet up and made it home safe.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've only seen a few items from the New Orleans campaign. One was a hat badge found near Lake Ponchatrain which I bought and resold and the other a small grouping of relics from Dauphin, Island, Alabama from 30 years ago. I have three round musket balls from the campaign I bought years ago, but if anyone has actively found anything over the last 20 years, I have not gotten wind of it. I know of a collector of stuff from that area, he lives nearby and has stated the stuff is hard for him to buy.

You're right Smokey, those items are harder to find, but there still out there, just gotta go find them. I probably know the fellow your talking about and if it's the same person, we've hunted and dug many musket ball's and other items from the "Battle of New Orleans" together on both sides of the river. I wish I could get onto those staging area's like Dauphin Island, but permission is getting harder to obtain and most of the good spots have eroded away over time, but all we can do is keep trying and looking.

Regarding your previous post about the actual battlefield being lower than it is now, your exactly right. Years ago our association, "Southern Historical Research and Recovery Assn" was contacted by the National Parks Service requesting our help with an archeological survey of the battle field and surrounding area. We had about 70 members, if memory serves me right, show up and we detected the whole area and actually found very, very little, which corroborates your information regarding the actual battle field being lower than it is now.

Fortunately the area's were targeting are farther away from the river, which means less silt / spoils and it's all on private property that permission hasn't been granted to anyone to search, but you know how that goes. Anyhow any and all information and / or advice is always welcome from you sir... "D"

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Davers,

When it comes to the situation I was in, you bet ya!!! Even if it didn't kill all the bad stuff, it'd rehydrate you enough to push on and you'll probably feel the effects, if any within 24 to 48 hours +/-, that is if you do get a bug, but hopefully you'll be out and safe. When at work an I set out on foot in the field I carry a small camelback and a little better quality water purification system, basically a supped up life straw and I've used it on more than one occasion after running out of water, without any problems.

If the waters (fresh not salt or brackish) and stagnate with no signs of dead animals or any other funk around or in it, I'll generally fall back a yard or so and dig down until water starts filling in my hole and I'll let nature filter it to some degree before using the cheaper life straw. I'm telling you Davers at one point before I realized I lost my life straw I saw a hog wallow and went to digging for it, because I had full intentions and faith in it to rehydrate because that was the worst of the two evils.

Hope that answers your question, if not shoot me a P.M. and well talk more about it. Also, I'm all about getting together for a little time out there hunting, camping and putting up with Truth... LOL, just kidding bro!!! Let's plan on something in the near future and we'll finalize a time and place... "D"

That's what I wanted to hear ' I really never thought of digging a side hole to get Earth filtered water'. Ill remember that.

There is not much more enjoyable than chugging (while it's pouring down my neck ) Cold water or Gator-aide .
When I'm super thirsty.
I tend to push my limits sometimes ,having something to drink in my Back-Pack but waiting till I'm almost dying.

I also have a Camel Back Back -Pack but have never used it , I'm soooo friggin strange , Hope to put it to use next year (Lord Willing ).

I have been super dehydrated 2 times in my life , both were after Drinking Binges & on 1 occasion I would have drank from a Toilet , if there was not 2 other people with me .

Ill explain that one later (or both) they were around 20 years ago but I remember the times like yesterday.
Good Day Man.

PS . I really agree we should camp , it's been years since I been & already have 90% of the items needed.
PEACE!

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That's what I wanted to hear ' I really never thought of digging a side hole to get Earth filtered water'. Ill remember that.

There is not much more enjoyable than chugging (while it's pouring down my neck ) Cold water or Gator-aide .
When I'm super thirsty.
I tend to push my limits sometimes ,having something to drink in my Back-Pack but waiting till I'm almost dying.

I also have a Camel Back Back -Pack but have never used it , I'm soooo friggin strange , Hope to put it to use next year (Lord Willing ).

I have been super dehydrated 2 times in my life , both were after Drinking Binges & on 1 occasion I would have drank from a Toilet , if there was not 2 other people with me .

Ill explain that one later (or both) they were around 20 years ago but I remember the times like yesterday.
Good Day Man.

PS . I really agree we should camp , it's been years since I been & already have 90% of the items needed.
PEACE!

Davers we have sooooo much in common!!! Lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VF, never had any issues with Poison Ivy or Oak, but Redbugs as we call them, I believe others call them Chiggers, well that's a different story, The last time I got into them I had over a 100 from my waist, down each leg, good lord talk about misery!!! I even entertained the thought of ticking off a couple cats to help me scratch them!!! View attachment 1615117
Any good tips on dealing with those little red spawns from Beelzebub's loins after they attack your tender hide?!?!? View attachment 1615110

You know , I had poison Ivy as a Kid 8 y/o or so , It was so bad , they had to cut one _bump" off to find out what it was ???

Since then it has not effected me much , think in the past few years I've gotten it slightly a couple of times from diggin in the roots. ( my buddy used to get it so bad his eyes would swell shut ) & that was from the Smoke! ; as the family was burning brush.
I feel real bad for making fun of him now but then he looked like a different person.

Chiggers eat me alive as do Skeeters , They love those forearms & Ankles , got them all over my Groin ,butt / everywhere ...U guessed it , I passed out in the Woods Drunk on my last camping trip to N GA. Memorial Day Weekend 2002...DAM -Time Fly's.
Most of all I hate the Skeeters .

Oh burn them chigger craters with a lit cig,, It hurts soo good. lol

Ya know I was thinking yesterday while scratching some flea bites ...? Why did God allow such parasites on the Earth & What purpose do they serve in the whole scheme of things.???

Ill read the rest of the thread & try to quit ranting then walk a creek or 2 Today ,as we got 5-7 inches of rain this past week.

Again PEACE!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was trying to remember what the doctor prescribed me, and came across this bit of info. It was a corticosteroid (aka oral steroid) methylprednisone.

[FONT=&]If lesions cover greater than 25% of your body or if you have lesions on your face or genitals, it’s probably best that you see a physician. At this point, it’s likely that you need an oral corticosteroid (aka oral steroid) to calm the rash down![/FONT][FONT=&]If your physician gives the nod on the steroid pill and they prescribe a Medrol Dosepak, have them change it to prednisone because the starting dose on the Medrol Dosepak is too low and the duration of therapy is too short for poison ivy.[/FONT][FONT=&]Prednisone 60mg/day for 4 days, then decreasing that by 10mg every 2 days would be a decent regimen for most adults (14 days of treatment).

[/FONT]

The time I had it when I was 8 or 9 it was all over My Marble pouch was bigger then it is now . lol

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Hey I have a half brother I only met 1 time in 1992 , but he would be 43 now (I think) & lived in Salt Lake City UT.

My real Dad went to Vietnam in 1969 or 70 , came home & promptly left Me & Mama , think she was pregnant cause she had to leave Salt Lake & I was Born in Millington TN right outside Memphis. Been in GA since I was 3.

OH I met good ole Dad in 1992 as well , I was 21 , That Prick never kept in touch , believe that spit? He is No Man to me.
Anyway I'm out to scour the urban wilds...Hopefully lol
Davers

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
VF, never had any issues with Poison Ivy or Oak, but Redbugs as we call them, I believe others call them Chiggers, well that's a different story, The last time I got into them I had over a 100 from my waist, down each leg, good lord talk about misery!!! I even entertained the thought of ticking off a couple cats to help me scratch them!!! View attachment 1615117
Any good tips on dealing with those little red spawns from Beelzebub's loins after they attack your tender hide?!?!? View attachment 1615110

No wonder I never heard of Chiggers! lol

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other

Never ran into chiggers here in Michigan that I can recall ,till last week.

Had visions of putting the wirewheel/cup brush on the angle grinder to scratch with.

Tried some commercial afterbite on a test bite and it did little. Of all things I didn't expect to help .....I put raw shea butter on the bites and , instant relief.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Marine What he said.png

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread