Going tomorrow to a property where the British camped here in Louisiana.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, you cooled off yet ??? ???

Guy's I'm not going to lie, it was miserable. The area is huge and as a crow flies we were only about a quarter mile or so east of the Mississippi River and not much more than a mile +/- northeast of the actual Chalmette Battle field. Truth and I both had camel backs for hydration and two way radios, due to the area being so big and we were going to spread out a little to cover more area trying to find the actual encampment.

Well after hunting for quite a while, all caught up in the hunt and continuously moving from high ground and ridges, because I figured that's where they would set up above the water line (swamp) and on level ground. Anyhow it was about that time I realized I hadn't heard or seen Truth for quite some time, so I pulled back one of my headphone ear pieces and hit the radio alert, but no response, so I hit it again and followed with an audible call, but again no response. The other thing that I noticed was that I couldn't hear the traffic that kinda kept us oriented to our location.

I took my phone off of airplane mode, pulled up the GPS and after the GPS page loaded I like to have fell smooth out when I realized I was at the far northwestern corner of this property that was covered with palmetto, vines, briars, Kudzu, spiders, snakes, wild hogs and other plants and shrubs that I had never seen before. Well I finally made contact with Truth and told him that it was going to take me a while to get out. He wanted to know how my water supply was and that he was not leaving the property until I came out.

I took my westerly mark and set off, but soon realized that for every 30 yards or so west I walked I had to walk twice as far north or south to find a suitable area before I could return back towards the west. It didn't take but about 2 hours and I was completely out of water but being a Warden and in the woods all the time, I always carry a survival straw.... ah, reality check.... it wasn’t there, I don't know what happened to it, all I can figure is it fell out of my bag somewhere in this miserable swamp.

About an hour later I could hear the traffic and was able to speed up a little since I didn't have to keep stopping to confirm my westerly azimuth. Well I kept on fighting this “Jungle” hoping to eventually run across an ATV trail that was so numerous when we first started hunting, but of course all I found was game trails that just zigzagged all over the place.

I’m not lying, those palmetto, briar, Kudzu and other vines and weeds were killer, not to mention the felled rotting trees that were still there from the past hurricanes. When I got to an area that was overgrown with this stuff and it was not feasible to back track, all I could do was place my shovel horizontally in front of me and mash that crap down and repeat this over and over again until I came to another clearing where I could move a little faster… God what I would have given to have my Kukri or Camillus with me, but of course both were in my bugout bag in my truck several miles away!!!
Truth stayed in touch via cell phone and asked if I could here his trucks horn? I just smiled while spitting cotton balls and calmly told him I could only hear his truck horn through the phone… LOL

Well about 30 minutes or so before I finally found my way out I found what appeared to be earthworks that ran in and almost perfectly straight line in a SSW to NNE direction and yes I started following them looking them over really good and taking GPS reading and photos of them before reality hit me in the face with a big old, “Hey Stupid, You’re really dehydrated and need to get back on track!!!”.

Well I eventually made it out onto a levee and about a mile or further to the south I could see Truth’s white truck. He kept to his word and refused to leave a man unaccounted for, he’s a great guy to hunt with and he will not leave you, I promise!!! I began trudging towards him and eventually I found a shade tree on the east side of the levee road and ditched all my gear for a later retrieval. My boots were soaked with sweat and water and were slipping on my feet rubbing them raw.

Unfortunately, Truth couldn’t drive his truck to me, but being the down to earth person he is, he grabbed a gallon jug of water and set out on foot meeting me half way and I mean not a moment too soon!!! After he go there his biggest concern was that the water wasn’t ice cold, but instead lukewarm, I just looked a him and told him it really didn’t matter it was wet and I needed it cold or not, and I thanked him for waiting on me!!!

We didn’t find the encampment this time, but after some more in-depth research, cooler weather and a more precise plan of action, we’re going back.
I suppose the moral to this story is, even though I’ve been relic hunting for many, many years, an being a veteran, an experienced wilderness survivalist and Game Warden to top it all, I wasn’t properly prepared which broke every rule in the book and because of my costly mistake of not being properly prepared I felt like a rookie and fortunately God was with me and mother nature schooled me!!!

I’m not embarrassed or ashamed of what I went through and I hope this may reach someone to show them no matter how much training you have, an if you don’t do your homework and properly prepare yourself for the current conditions it could mean the difference between life and death.

I want to again thank Dean “Truth”, whom I’ve never met in person before, but in true metal detection comradery and his being a down to earth good Christian guy, he stayed and refused to abandoned me. I truly consider him a lifesaver and friend and will hunt with him anytime, because I know he’s got my six!!!

I know a lot of you may think I’m being melodramatic about my situation, but believe me I honestly don’t think I could’ve walked to where Truth had his truck parked, and where help could’ve been found because I was becoming more and more unsteady on my sore, aching and raw feet, nauseated and close to heat exhaustion.

Just to clear up any lingering questions or comments, the only reason Truth didn’t call for help was because I never let on to him just how bad I was and it wasn’t until he reached me that he knew I was bad off!!!

Thanks again Truth, you're a true friend and lifesaver!!!

P.S. Lesson Learned!!!!!!!

"D"

GOOD MAN TRUTH!

I been in that type of situation a few times in life , for several different reasons , now I known to over prepare & carrying 15-20 lbs of water, Coke (I know caffeine ) Water , Off , in a back- pack don't (but does) make things easier.

I have a couple life straws but they are kept at home , Daaaa, along with that nice C ammo (camel back) back-pack I bought for a "Benji" or so 3 years ago ; that I have not used cause I don't want to mess it up ,(i'm crazy) + i'm used to the Back -pack I wear now as i've been using it for 3-4 years .

Hey we should get together some Spring or Fall meet in a Wilderness place & just hunt , hang , tell Stories , camp for a day or 2 , That would be cool , Ill attempt to locate a place & i'm willing to drive to LA.
Glad you made it Possomcop & a story we should hear often and remember esp when I'm approaching 50 y/o.
Crazy Davey

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Google Earth to get around rough areas. I add the lat & lon coordinates to Delorme Topo USA 6.0 and carry a Delorme PN-20 to do the field work. The PN 20 is a handheld GPS with a topographical mapping feature and Delorme Topo USA is a computer program on my laptop. Delorme was a Maine company that got bought out. Their products can be bought cheap now on that famous auction site.
Sound like you guys needed a bulldozer and a brush hog.

Inside joke,

Their experience was almost as bad a the 'Ala-gash ' Canoe trip .

I don't think they experienced 'missing time tho' glad they got out before Night fall .

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A quick ? to 'possomcop ' .

Would you trust the life-straws in Swamp Water & Still Lakes ?

I'm going to get a couple more to keep in the car , A good $20 well spent imo.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I use Google Earth to get around rough areas. I add the lat & lon coordinates to Delorme Topo USA 6.0 and carry a Delorme PN-20 to do the field work. The PN 20 is a handheld GPS with a topographical mapping feature and Delorme Topo USA is a computer program on my laptop. Delorme was a Maine company that got bought out. Their products can be bought cheap now on that famous auction site.
Sound like you guys needed a bulldozer and a brush hog.

You my friend hit the nail on the head [emoji1360]

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A quick ? to 'possomcop ' .

Would you trust the life-straws in Swamp Water & Still Lakes ?

I'm going to get a couple more to keep in the car , A good $20 well spent imo.

Davers,

When it comes to the situation I was in, you bet ya!!! Even if it didn't kill all the bad stuff, it'd rehydrate you enough to push on and you'll probably feel the effects, if any within 24 to 48 hours +/-, that is if you do get a bug, but hopefully you'll be out and safe. When at work an I set out on foot in the field I carry a small camelback and a little better quality water purification system, basically a supped up life straw and I've used it on more than one occasion after running out of water, without any problems.

If the waters (fresh not salt or brackish) and stagnate with no signs of dead animals or any other funk around or in it, I'll generally fall back a yard or so and dig down until water starts filling in my hole and I'll let nature filter it to some degree before using the cheaper life straw. I'm telling you Davers at one point before I realized I lost my life straw I saw a hog wallow and went to digging for it, because I had full intentions and faith in it to rehydrate because that was the worst of the two evils.

Hope that answers your question, if not shoot me a P.M. and well talk more about it. Also, I'm all about getting together for a little time out there hunting, camping and putting up with Truth... LOL, just kidding bro!!! Let's plan on something in the near future and we'll finalize a time and place... "D"

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 and Equinox 800, XP Deus, Shadow X5, Shadow X2, Fisher F44, Whites Coinmaster, and Tesoro Compadre'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Possumcop copy and paste your post to the metal detecting forum. I believe it’s a story/lesson that sound be shared.

Okay Truth, I posted a link to this thread in the "Metal Detecting" forum... "D"

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Poison Ivy!! Get rid of that calamine lotion. It does nothing. Go to WalMart and get a bottle of Tec-Nu. It is soap that will remove the poison ivy or oak oil. Several washings if you have it bad. I swear by the stuff. Gary

Couldn’t find the soap but this stuff is already working. Thanks TP IMG_0012.JPG

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Truth, I read Possumcop's post on his misadventure in the land of the lost. I also posted on his thread a report I read from archaeologists from several years ago, I guess 10 or so, the present Chalmette Battlefield has sunk about 5 feet since 1814. They determined the ground has sunk that much, and the actual ground they stood on is now 5' down. You will have to look for naturally high areas (yes, in LA, I get that) for your best options for getting anything. Or a nearby construction site.

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting and very descriptive story possum..
I really thought you were going to say you had an experience with a wild animal or reptile.
Maybe because this weekend I was searching around an old brick well, and found a 2' moccasin inside of it.
I didn't expect you say your near death experience was due to the heat/hydration.
Just goes to show that it doesn't take a poisonous snake or wild boar to create a scenario where one could possibly have a near death experience.
This summer the heat has been Brutal, and we still have a couple more months before it begins to cool down.

Stay safe, and take baby steps in this heat.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That stuff works best right after exposure (vs. the extra strength soap) but it should provide more relief than Calamine. If I get significant exposure that tecnu doesn't remove, I am so sensitized that I have to get a doc to write me a prescription for prednisone which is no picnic either due to the side effects.

Possum

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2017
Southeast Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That stuff works best right after exposure (vs. the extra strength soap) but it should provide more relief than Calamine. If I get significant exposure that tecnu doesn't remove, I am so sensitized that I have to get a doc to write me a prescription for prednisone which is no picnic either due to the side effects.

VF, never had any issues with Poison Ivy or Oak, but Redbugs as we call them, I believe others call them Chiggers, well that's a different story, The last time I got into them I had over a 100 from my waist, down each leg, good lord talk about misery!!! I even entertained the thought of ticking off a couple cats to help me scratch them!!! wysmiewacz.gif
Any good tips on dealing with those little red spawns from Beelzebub's loins after they attack your tender hide?!?!? lol2.gif

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Couldn’t find the soap but this stuff is already working. Thanks TP View attachment 1615100
I got into it pretty bad a couple years ago. I used to never get poison ivy, but these last few years I have been more susceptible to it.
I tried the Tec-nu soap, and it helped, but didn't cut it. The directions said use it as soon as you come in contact with poison ivy, or as soon as you think you might have. I probably waited too long.
Last time it spread from my hands to under my arms. Probably from the way I sleep.
I began to worry that it might spread to other places as well, so I went to the doctor and picked up some antibiotics.
I haven't gotten it in a while, and I am a little more careful these days. I used to use calomine when I was younger, but that stuff doesn't do much nowadays, except for a short relief from the itching.

nwpa

Jul 6, 2017
Northwest PA
Detector(s) used
T2 classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Glad to hear you made it out ok put a couple gatorades down as well as water.
Sounds like an interesting area to do some detecting, the earthen works and high ground would be a good starting point with more research.
Good luck on your next outing and be careful.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got into it pretty bad a couple years ago. I used to never get poison ivy, but these last few years I have been more susceptible to it.
I tried the Tec-nu soap, and it helped, but didn't cut it. The directions said use it as soon as you come in contact with poison ivy, or as soon as you think you might have. I probably waited too long.
Last time it spread from my hands to under my arms. Probably from the way I sleep.
I began to worry that it might spread to other places as well, so I went to the doctor and picked up some antibiotics.
I haven't gotten it in a while, and I am a little more careful these days. I used to use calomine when I was younger, but that stuff doesn't do much nowadays, except for a short relief from the itching.

You just told my story. It’s on my left arm and.......under both arm pits! Lol

nagant

Apr 21, 2017
iowa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Golden micromax, compadre. ML EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possumcop those Chiggers are the worst! Only had them bad once and it took over a month before they were completely gone. I seem to be getting less immune to all those nasty plants, don't spend as much time in the woods as i used too and getting old sure don't help!

Last edited:

bonepicker

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2012
MS, Lynchberg
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You just told my story. It’s on my left arm and.......under both arm pits! Lol

I was trying to remember what the doctor prescribed me, and came across this bit of info. It was a corticosteroid (aka oral steroid) methylprednisone.

If lesions cover greater than 25% of your body or if you have lesions on your face or genitals, it’s probably best that you see a physician. At this point, it’s likely that you need an oral corticosteroid (aka oral steroid) to calm the rash down!If your physician gives the nod on the steroid pill and they prescribe a Medrol Dosepak, have them change it to prednisone because the starting dose on the Medrol Dosepak is too low and the duration of therapy is too short for poison ivy.Prednisone 60mg/day for 4 days, then decreasing that by 10mg every 2 days would be a decent regimen for most adults (14 days of treatment).

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Possumcop those Chiggers are the worst! Only dad them bad once and it took over a month before they were completely gone. I seem to be getting less immune to all those nasty plants, don't spend as much time in the woods as i used too and getting old sure don't help!

I never got poison ivy before, but now I’m 49 ugggh

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread