Going towards prescott area in AZ. Anybody try GPAA claims in mining guide there?

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATG and thinking about another nugget hunter
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Going up for a couple days to dig my quota of dirt. So when I'm done there. I'm wanting to try some detecting and highbanking on one of the claims. Has anybody tried some of these claims? Hoping to detect my first nugget. (Crossing fingers). If anybody would like to tag along you'd be welcome to as well. I'll be digging Tuesday or Wednesday. Then be hitting other claim Thursday.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
We have made a fairly detailed wall sized map of the Lynx Creek area. It's cold up there now but might be a welcome relief after your Montana winter.

It's free for your personal use and you can download it here:
Lynx Creek

Follow the links on that page for more free maps of gold bearing areas in Arizona.

Heavy Pans

team sidewinder

Apr 14, 2013
SW MONTANA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB XTERRA 705 , CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope to do some detecting while the wife's thing is, the prospecting. Thanks for the helps.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm not entirely certain, but I think they'll only allow detecting up to high water line of creek. I left mine behind when I went because they said panning only. Then as I read the regs, I noticed that it said that. That was my first trip there. Verify with forest service first. You don't want to lose detector and possible fine.
When hitting lynx, just make sure you get deeper than a foot. Find a bend and then dig where you'd think a fish would wait for food. If you fish streams, then you'd do pretty good.
Unfortunately no rain, snow or flooding.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, just saw this thread, to clarify did you go to the Rich Hill area claims? Or further up the road? A buddy and I are going to RH tmorrow to check out the C-Gem and another weaver claim we have been extremely curious about.

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hi, just saw this thread, to clarify did you go to the Rich Hill area claims? Or further up the road? A buddy and I are going to RH tmorrow to check out the C-Gem and another weaver claim we have been extremely curious about.

You may want to stop in Congress at the Weaver office to confirm their claims. Some have changed recently I understand.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
In my experience there is no gold up around the C-JEM. You are up in the dune sand sedimentary layers up there - dry as a bone when it comes to gold. It looks like the claim was dropped this year anyway.

The C-Jem was claimed in 2009 as a lode claim by a man in Michigan. You'd be better off on one of their lower claims if you are looking for gold.

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Stan,

It was good to see you this weekend. Did you enjoy the outing? I missed saying Hi! to Lizzie, was she in your truck? Nice pooch.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may want to stop in Congress at the Weaver office to confirm their claims. Some have changed recently I understand.

Might have to do that, I think my membership may be about to expire too, I was just there last March. Hopefully they still have the small one on the east side of the hill since the last time I was there I have been obsessed with going back and taking a shot at getting down to bedrock, active placer mines on both sides of this one. Why do I have to live on the east side of the valley!! All the good stuff is the wrong direction! LOL.

Depends on how much time we have, if short on time, there is some open ground up north of black canyon city we have prospected a couple times recently that was showing some color, certainly a little quicker drive for us to get there.

Last edited:

SLNugget

Sep 25, 2013
Morristown, AZ
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Stan,

It was good to see you this weekend. Did you enjoy the outing? I missed saying Hi! to Lizzie, was she in your truck? Nice pooch.

Thanks. It's always fun to see you and your better half. I thought the outing was outstanding in every way. And Lizzie was taking a break in the truck. She gets overwhelmed by crowds and tells everyone about it. She's still learning and is doing well. Thanks for asking about her.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well I did make it up towards RH area. Not to RH specifically. We had a good trip and stayed down digging. So not up to Prescott. My buddy I took up was elgatonoche. He saw what we were getting and he didn't want to leave. I don't blame him. When ya see color come out from the cons you just can't help but smile. I'm always looking for more productive spots, but it sure is hard to leave a spot. Especially since I know others might jump on my hole. Which happened this trip. Normally my area is just a couple of people. This trip. I had 4 spots bring worked in close proximity. Plus the one that was working my original hole. I was bummed. I was inches from bedrock. That's fine though. Next month they'll all be gone and I'll be able to continue my campaign. Lol. My buddy and I pulled out 4 grains worth in the 59 gallons ran through the sluice. Plus I got 60 gallons at home. So if this holds true. I should have close to same result.
Next trip I'm going south. Then I'll be back in March. So if anybody would like to tag along, let me know. February 27-March 1 I think I'll be up there. Planning to test other spots and enjoy four wheeling and possibly detecting and of course digging and panning. If I take any of my kids with, I'll probably have them digging and running dirt as I explore the other spots. If time permits I might stay another day and do lynx area. But as I said before. It's hard to leave a spot that's producing. Though I know there's bigger and more gold out there. You just got to be able to put the shovel or pick in that spot to get it.

Thanks for reading and I'll be posting more of what we did. Here's a pic of weighed take while out there.

Attachments

• image-910555855.jpg
    image-910555855.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Might have to do that, I think my membership may be about to expire too, I was just there last March. Hopefully they still have the small one on the east side of the hill since the last time I was there I have been obsessed with going back and taking a shot at getting down to bedrock, active placer mines on both sides of this one. Why do I have to live on the east side of the valley!! All the good stuff is the wrong direction! LOL. Depends on how much time we have, if short on time, there is some open ground up north of black canyon city we have prospected a couple times recently that was showing some color, certainly a little quicker drive for us to get there.

Mines almost expired as well. So I know I'll be in there. Hopefully they'll give me an accurate account on the claims. Plus I'll have some free time to do more investigating. Hoping to file a claim if I think it's worth it.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mines almost expired as well. So I know I'll be in there. Hopefully they'll give me an accurate account on the claims. Plus I'll have some free time to do more investigating. Hoping to file a claim if I think it's worth it.

Yeah, let me know if they dropped any. I really wanted to get out there today but time did not allow for it. We just hit the Black Canyon area instead, and all but skunked.

VERY hard to find any open ground near Rich Hill, I had the same in mind too. If I ever see anything come up south of the hill there im gonna be all over it. So many active claims all over the place according to LR2000, I currently am zeroing in on some open ground over near Bumblebee that looks good however.

BTW I see you are in Mesa, the last weekend of FEB I might be down for heading out there, my wife is going to be out of town for that weekend.

Last edited:
OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Yeah, let me know if they dropped any. I really wanted to get out there today but time did not allow for it. We just hit the Black Canyon area instead, and all but skunked. VERY hard to find any open ground near Rich Hill, I had the same in mind too. If I ever see anything come up south of the hill there im gonna be all over it. So many active claims all over the place according to LR2000, I currently am zeroing in on some open ground over near Bumblebee that looks good however. BTW I see you are in Mesa, the last weekend of FEB I might be down for heading out there, my wife is going to be out of town for that weekend.
That weekend I might be open to going out. I've got to do more research and also get a hold of Weaver group to verify claims. The thing is I might be moving. Just having a heck of a time finding a descent rental for my family. If it was only me I know where I'd be. So I'll probably have to wait till two weeks after that. I'll keep ya informed.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This weekend I'll be visiting a buddy in greaterville to help test his claim. Should be interesting. Initial tests showed good color. Then hopefully I'll stake a claim as well. If the path and gold gods let me.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That weekend I might be open to going out. I've got to do more research and also get a hold of Weaver group to verify claims. The thing is I might be moving. Just having a heck of a time finding a descent rental for my family. If it was only me I know where I'd be. So I'll probably have to wait till two weeks after that. I'll keep ya informed.

Definitely let me know, I am planning an excursion to RH on the 1st.

If you don't mind me asking which claim were you on?

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Definitely let me know, I am planning an excursion to RH on the 1st. If you don't mind me asking which claim were you on?

We decided to not move. Thank god. Landlord reduced rent some and offered to short sale the house after this lease is up. So that means that next week I'll be trying to go up to RH. Possibly Thursday-Saturday. So if interested let me know. As far as the claim. I honestly don't remember it's name. I will be checking other spots as well. Hoping to find the bigger stuff. Hopefully with more guidance through some maps plus with access to weaver and GPAA claims. There's a lot of area to cover with little time.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We decided to not move. Thank god. Landlord reduced rent some and offered to short sale the house after this lease is up. So that means that next week I'll be trying to go up to RH. Possibly Thursday-Saturday. So if interested let me know. As far as the claim. I honestly don't remember it's name. I will be checking other spots as well. Hoping to find the bigger stuff. Hopefully with more guidance through some maps plus with access to weaver and GPAA claims. There's a lot of area to cover with little time.

Never enough time, I usually have my best luck about 5 min before its time to leave lol.

OP
OP
GarretDiggingAz

GarretDiggingAz

Dec 5, 2012
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The trip before last I had taken dirt home and ran it. I had gotten a nugget that fit the end of my index finger. I know it came from the last dirt I dug up. If I'd ran it out there I probably would've stayed. That's how it goes I guess. The best for last.

StreamlineGold

Apr 21, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not entirely certain, but I think they'll only allow detecting up to high water line of creek. I left mine behind when I went because they said panning only. Then as I read the regs, I noticed that it said that. That was my first trip there. Verify with forest service first. You don't want to lose detector and possible fine.
When hitting lynx, just make sure you get deeper than a foot. Find a bend and then dig where you'd think a fish would wait for food. If you fish streams, then you'd do pretty good.
Unfortunately no rain, snow or flooding.

Theres another channel of Lynx creek called Rose creek, its just before Fain lake right off Stonebridge rd. Its technically private property but people are out there digging it all the time, so all of the withdraw area rules do not apply, you can sluice, highbanker, detect etc, at least that's what I have been told by someone that is out there after every rain storm. Had my best luck in that area vs the part set aside by the forest service. Lynx is only about 100yd to the south of it too, which is also the same private property. Its owned by the Fain's as far as I know, the locals say they never kick anyone out unless they are going way over the line.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread