Gold 64 Class Ring, White Gold Initial Ring, 1949 Franklyn, 1943 Quarter, etc.

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I conducted two 3 hour hunts yesterday, one in the morning and one after lunch. I arrived on location to find that the developer had scraped off about 6” of the top soil strata.

That was good, as I was able to hunt the areas I had already found keepers at. And what do you know. I find a Gold 1964 class ring and a 1943 quarter within a 10 square foot area. On previous hunts I found a silver pilot badge, a junk ring, buffalo nickel, and other silver coins not far away. After I hunted out this area out, I headed to where I had previously found a buffalo nickel, 2 war nickels, 4 Rossies and wheats. And bingo, from the same hole I net a 1949 Ben Franklyn Half Dollar and 2 Roose’s.

Now I’m pumped, but pooped, so I head out for lunch. When I return, I start off where I left off. And as luck and skill would have it, I net what I believe is a white gold ring, with an initial on it (W or M). I don’t see a mark, but it’s not corroded and it doesn’t look like the silver that comes from this area. What do you think? Remember, before the scrape, these rings where down about 10” to 11”.

I’ve yet to clean the class ring, or anything for that matter. Besides the date, I can tell what High School it’s from and it’s Mascot. But as soon as I do clean them, I’ll post better pictures. But if I was to post an unedited picture of the ring, that would surely give my area away.

HH
I’ve already posted too much.

Attachments

• Hunt Area Scrape.JPG
    Hunt Area Scrape.JPG
    65.5 KB · Views: 2,036
  • Ring White Gold Unmarked.JPG
    Ring White Gold Unmarked.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 1,958
  • Ring Gold Class Keepers and Trash.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Keepers and Trash.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 2,599
  • Ring Gold Class Hunt Keepers.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Hunt Keepers.JPG
    96.4 KB · Views: 3,137
  • Ring Gold Class.JPG
    Ring Gold Class.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 2,010
  • Ring Gold Class Hunt Best.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Hunt Best.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 3,255
  • Ring Gold Class Date.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Date.JPG
    72.7 KB · Views: 2,002
  • Ring Gold Class Drit Cold Hold.JPG
    Ring Gold Class Drit Cold Hold.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 3,150
  • Ring Gold Class As Found.JPG
    Ring Gold Class As Found.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 3,198
  • Quarter.JPG
    Quarter.JPG
    94.6 KB · Views: 2,026
  • Quarter 2.JPG
    Quarter 2.JPG
    90.8 KB · Views: 2,043
Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your photos are FANTASTIC! Thanks so much for your fine post.

Buckleboy

Old Tom

Aug 4, 2006
Milton, Florida
Detector(s) used
White's Surfmaster PI, Eagle Spectrum, Fisher 1235-X, 1280-X
Re: Gold 64 Class Ring, White Gold Initial Ring, 1949 Franklyn, 1943 Quarter, et

Ouch Ant!

Who came up with that law Gov. Arnold or Nancy Pelosi. I feel for you guys in CA.
Now I know I would keep the rings and keep quiet.

OT

Dimeman

Bronze Member
Jan 16, 2007
Houston,TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro Fisher F5
Great pics, super great finds !!!!
There is bound to be some more goodies there.

HH !!!!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Shhh... tell no one! Finders keepers, unless you want to be nice. I don't think your Karma cares to much. Do you think handing in a little ring will effect what you did wrong in life? Keep it and bank haha!

Just kidding, free country do what you like! Keep the thing man! Sorry just kidding again.

Sell it and start smoking crack, great fun... and healthy too. Wow i am just whipping them out! Joking again so sorry.

My real opinion is you should get to keep it, (but the right thing to do is find the owners if at all possible) and sell it back to them for twice as much!! Ha!

Oh what was the sliver ring made out of was it white gold or silver looks silver to me??

Great finds, Keep @ it and HH!

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
MUD(S.W.A.T) said:
Shhh... tell no one! Finders keepers, unless you want to be nice. I don't think your Karma cares to much. Do you think handing in a little ring will effect what you did wrong in life? Keep it and bank haha!

Just kidding, free country do what you like! Keep the thing man! Sorry just kidding again.

Sell it and start smoking crack, great fun... and healthy too. Wow i am just whipping them out! Joking again so sorry.

My real opinion is you should get to keep it, (but the right thing to do is find the owners if at all possible) and sell it back to them for twice as much!! Ha!

Oh what was the sliver ring made out of was it white gold or silver looks silver to me??

Great finds, Keep @ it and HH!

Edited to remove the bunk instructions on the gold test I mentioned.

Before the scrape the silver colored ring was down at least least 10", I dug it at about 4" or 5".

The silver I find around here is hard to clean, it takes a lot of elbow grease to clean it up. If you look at the photo that has 4 views of the ring. The view on the top lefthand corner is how it came out of the ground, and the view on the lower lefthand corner was taken seconds later. But after I touch the inside of the band with a little spit on my finger tip. And with no real effort the luster of gold came out instantly.

You can clearly see this in the lower lefthand corner view. It doesn't sound like gold, but it looks like gold. Latter on today I'll post a cleaned silver ring next to this ring, then let me know what you think. I'll try to get another transfer using the silver cream again too and post the cloth I used.

HH
Thanks again everyone.

Thanks again everyone.

S

sounder

Wow, great hunt!!!

Thanks for the pictures and story!!

sounder

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hi MUD (S.W.A.T.)
I'll have to have it tested to be for sure, and when I do I'll post it. It'll be a couple days before I can get it tested. The silver cream test won't work, I should have known. I'll edit that other thread so knowone will try that test.

Thanks again everyone.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great dig's Ant....really some nice find's.How awesome are the M1A2's.....Saw something about them on the military channel....where do sit?....HH!!....

S

Scots Gaelic

OK, I have to say it - I am Jealous! Wow! Those finds are really great! Kudos to you!!!!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice~

HH

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
civilman1 said:
Great dig's Ant....really some nice find's.How awesome are the M1A2's.....Saw something about them on the military channel....where do sit?....HH!!....

I sit wherever I want, because I'm a Mechanic. Before the war started we would test fire new barrels but now we reserve that for our War Fighters. It's an unbelievable machine when you operate it. At full speed it can jump like a motorcycle, that's how superior the suspension is.

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
MUD S.W.A.T.
"Oh what was the sliver ring made out of was it white gold or silver looks silver to me??

I had the ring tested at a Pawn Shop and it tested 14k or higher.
It passed the 14k nitric acid test, and on the electronic meter chemical test the readings bounced up above 14k and back. White Gold.

HH

Patrol

Dec 4, 2006
Northeast Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Whites Surf II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Perhaps it's just me, but something tells me that doing ones best to find the owner of the class ring is the 'right' thing to do. First, it presents MD'ers in a very positive light and God knows we need that.

Another thing, it is a character builder. Doing what is legal and what is right is not the same thing. I know it would make me feel like a better person to return the ring if I could - whether or not the owner was appreciative or an ingrate, and, whether or not I could legally keep it.

TE

AOSDC

Nov 25, 2006
I guess some of you are SCUMBAGS keeping a class ring with their initials inside. Not looking for the owner but rather say I'll post it in lost and found,than to make a simple phone call to the High School.

I guess you would do the same thing if you found a wallet with ID inside also. I'd say some people are are greedy,thiefs, and people who don't ask for permission on private property.

You'll get what is coming to you one way or another, it's called KARMA.

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
AOSDC said:
I guess some of you are SCUMBAGS keeping a class ring with their initials inside. Not looking for the owner but rather say I'll post it in lost and found,than to make a simple phone call to the High School.

I guess you would do the same thing if you found a wallet with ID inside also. I'd say some people are are greedy,thiefs, and people who don't ask for permission on private property.

You'll get what is coming to you one way or another, it's called KARMA.

AOSDC
chill out man. most of us would give it a try, and a good one at that. I would take it so far as to try to find the persons family if they were gone. Some people don't get permission and some people won't return lost items if IDable as belonging to someone. Aint much we can do but suggest they at least try, and he said he wasn't going to. Nuttin we can do.

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
You’re insinuating that I’m a scumbag or whatever. I think I’m going to just keep it. It’s more important to me than someone who lost it over 40 years ago and who has long forgot about it.

The 10k (42% gold) class ring weights in at 2.6 dwt, not even worth $100.00 in scrap. I don’t even have to advertise it and I’ll still be within the Law. I think it looks much better in my Gold poke, don’t you?

HH

Attachments

• Class Ring In Its New Home.JPG
    Class Ring In Its New Home.JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 798

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
I have never found a class ring, and I'm not sure I would necessarily try to find the owner if I did. Seems like it would be the right thing to do though. I don't think it's comparible to a lost wallet. Am I WAY off base? Dang, I'm a cop too! I'm pretty sure I ain't no scumbag...

Maybe it's the karma that put the "treasure" in my path in the first place!!! :-\

I've found a variety of silver rings but with no initials or name, and only part of a phone number, I think they must have been lost be the same guy!!! Anyone know where the phone number .925 would be? ;)

OP
OP
Ant

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
Hi Montana Jim.

I Respect your opinion very much, even before you mentioned you are a Lawman. I treat my fellowman fairly and equally at all times, I was raised that way. That’s why I believe that I have good Karma these days. I make it a point to and give everyone the benefit of the doubt, and to not judge them.

I’ll test how it affects my Karma today by hunting a well hunted spot.
And one more thing, Thank you for your Service.

HH

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread