Gold/ all purpose detector????

S

shawnv(OR)

I know you have heard this question a million times,so I apologize for the repatition. I have been a coin/relic hunter in Central Oregon for over four years and these forums were a great research tool when I was looking for my first new coin/relic machine I chose the White's IDX PRO based on alot of feedback from these forum's I have been very happy with that purchase its a real coin picker. My wife has deceided that she enjoys MD'ing too, so my next machine will have to be a GOLD/All purpose machine so that we can hunt our local parks, fresh water beaches together.
I have done a fair amount of research and I think I have narrowed my choices down to a few machines Lobo ST, MXT, Tejon, Infinium LS. I cant afford one of the Highend pulse machines but I would save a little longer for a highend all purpose machine (DFX, Explorer II, etc..) if they will perform in Oregon's northeastern gold area's as well as they coin/relic hunt.
With all that said my question is what machines do you guys use and WHY do you like your particular machine. Any feedback on any of these or any other machines would be greatly welcomed, thanks in advance Shawn

Upvote 0

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lobo ST for great sensitivity but Infiniumn for salt beach work.Or the goldstrike by fisher also.I use LST and GB2 for gold hunting and am VERY happy but one mans pleasure is anothers pain.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

Jim McCulloch

Mar 27, 2003
Shawn, the very best machine for your multi-purpose requirements is the MXT, with the Lobo Supertraq in a very distant second place. The LST was designed in 1995 by the same engineer who, later, working for White's, spent three years substantially improving and upgrading the LST, to become the MXT. Think of the MXT as a SUPER Supertraq, with the additional benefit of several worthwhile features. In the Desert goldfields, the MXT can find nuggets as small as 1/4 grain, yet also excells as a coin, jewelry, and relic hunting machine. Give the MXT a serious look. HH jim

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A great comparison was on the Alaska Gold Forum by Steve Herschbach and his is quite the opposite.As owner of Alaska Mining and Diving, a multiline dealer,and industry expert I go with his accounting. As I said before no 1 is the best. What is being produced today is a hundred fold better than 10 years ago,you just need the patience to learn.Tons a au 2 u 2-John ::)

majik

Oct 4, 2004
Hi Shawn,
welcome to the fourm. One machine i do not see mentioned is the Garrett scorpoin gold stinger
it is desinged to work in heavy minerizlaed soil. where i live in Mt. there is TONS of black sand, so
alot of machines dont do so well. the scorpion is set up for it, but also has a real good relic setting
for coins ect. I am realitively new to this game, and I know nothing about those other machines.
I just know i'm REAL happy with my scorpion.. it is mid line as far as price (i think) I paid about $500
for mine. just thuoght i would pass that along.. HH Majik

Willy

I had an MXT and did extremely well with it prospecting. I got rid of it 'cause the pod design is lousy for someone that hunts in creeks. One thing to keep in mind regarding engineers working for different companies is that there are copyrights invoved (as well as patents) & that these are often held by the company. While Dave Johnson (as far as I can tell) worked for Tesoro & then White's (now for Bounty Hunter), it doesn't follow that he was able to incorporate many of the LST's characteristics into the MXT. The MXT might very well not be an improved LST, just different. I'd also second the Infinium nomination, especially for highly mineralized areas & water hunting. ...Willy.

D

deweydewii

;)Hi y'all
? ?I'm a newbie, who's been detecting only for two years now. Bought into a Whites MXT, and am very happy with the results so far. Last summer, I made the trip to Ganes Creek, Alaska. On the first day, within the first two hours after arrival, I stepped over a 1/3 of an ounce nugget, which the guy directly behind me promptly found. I was using the 9x5 eliptical coil, and I was going too fast and not overlapping my sweeps. On the second day however, after the D9 cat had spread out about 2 acres of ground, (so we could detect a little deeper) eight of us jumped out of the truck and spread out. About ten minutes later, I turned down one of the cat tracks, and took about seven steps, got a great signal, the right numbers coming up on the LCD screen. I reached down with my pick-hoe and pulled off about three inches of soil and re-scanned, another perfect signal, so I reached down with my gloved hand and pulled a little more soil back, to reveal a gold/quartz specimen that weighed in at just under two troy pounds. I have done a specific gravity test, and found it to have 14.81 ounces of contained gold. It was my first nugget. (Aside from burying nuggets in my yard for testing the machine) Now granted, I found this nugget only under about 4 - 4 1/2 inches of soil, anyone there would have found that piece had they swung their detector over it. After all, gold is where you find it. But I did notice that I was digging up a lot less trash than some of the other folks with machines that offered no metal discrimination. This year I'm going back to Ganes Creek, but I have bought the 18" excelerator coil, and will probably get the 14" before I go. I found the 9x5 is a good coil, especially for high trash ground, but I am opting for more depth and a little better coverage. I really liked the metal rejection the MXT offers. I was digging a heck of a lot less trash than some of the other machines that had no built-in rejection modes. Thanks, Dewey

Attachments

• IMG_0312.jpg
    IMG_0312.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 790

49er

Bronze Member
Feb 21, 2005
Sun City, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites..MXT..GMT
shawnnv - go with the MXT. i own a MXT and it works great here in colorado and arizona too. as far as highly mineralized ground is concerned colorado has some high consintrats of black sand you can imagine. my money would be on the MXT hands down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread