Gold Bug M-scope

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine gave me this old gold bug m-scope ..her dad was an old prospector and picked it up years ago and got sick short time after and passed away so the gold bug sat in the closet until now and it wont fire up... So i guess i need to send it to fisher and have them tell me how much it will be to fix before i get stuck with a big bill.... I guess my question is the thing worth sticking money into and how well do they work for coin hunting?

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The old Gold Bug had enough sensitivity for coin hunting, but none of the features (discrimination etc.) which coinshooters usually want. If you were planning on gold prospecting and going low budget, I'd say look into getting it fixed. But for coinshooting or relic hunting it's just plain the wrong machine, I'd say get rid of it and get something like a Fisher F2 or Teknetics Delta, both excellent coinshooting machines for a beginner. For even less money, a BH Tracker 4. For more money, a Tek Omega or G2: both of these are also good relic machines and the G2 is even a good gold prospecting machine. All the foregoing are good beginner machines and if someday you decide to buy a high end machine these are machines that you'll probably keep for backup and as loaners rather than feel the need to get rid of them.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer Se Pro,Garrett At/Pro,Garrett Ace 350,Tesoro Cibola,Tesoro Outlaw,Bounty Hunter SharpShooter 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I do have a ace 350 already with a nel big 15x17 coil and the 8.5x11that came with the unit and i picked up the garret super sniper for trashy area's..i was kinda hoping to learn a ground balance machine to try cherry picking some silver or gold tones would that gold bug be able to do something like that?

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
It's good for up to maybe 13 inches on nickels and quarters and a little less on pennies and dimes. Remember this is ground balanced autotune all metals operation we're talking about, no discrimination, you'll be digging everything.

--Dave J.

OP
OP
dustytrails123

dustytrails123

Bronze Member
Apr 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well thats for the info on that gold bug i think ill pack it back up and give my it back.For now id like to find something better for the coins and not so much for gold prospecting my friend has the minelab etrac but i really think i want to learn a ground balance machine with some discrimination ...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions