gold coin and more

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
My family and friend went to a very old farm site Sunday. We found lots of wire and junk so I was just swinging my Garrett 2500 wild when all at once it went wild bouncing from one end of the scale to the other. It showed it was about 6 inches deep, so I decided to go ahead and dig it the first thing that I saw was a old leather ball looking thing I pulled it out and saw it had a lid ,when I opened it up I could see a ring and a coin sticking out of the dirt in it. I hollered to my brother that I found a coin purse and need to go to the pickup to dump it out on the tailgate to see what was in it. By this time I was shaking too much so he slowly started taking things and dirt out of it, the more he took out the more shaking I did. About half ways empty a gold coin popped out by the time he got it clean out I could not believe my eyes I did not do a dance I was shaking to much lol.the date on the pictures is wrong I got tired of setting every time I recharged the battery put the pictures on photo bucket here is the link to them. http://s207.photobucket.com/albums/bb229/kwd_photos/finds/

Upvote 0

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I would say this is a banner find for sure! The coins are so well preserved!!! One of the amazing things about this post is that both the Indian Head and the Flying Eagle are nickel colored, not bronze colored. Most people don't realize (or care) that the early small cents were actually called "nickels", or "nicks" before the introduction of the nickel five cent piece in 1866.

That is the find of a lifetime, my friend!

makton

Mar 5, 2008
New Lenox, Il
Detector(s) used
Explorer II with 10x12 SEF
Banner find for sure!!!
Those coins are totally awesome!!!!!
Congrats in advance on your Banner Finds.

Makton

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...that is an amazing find. Congratulations.

Banner for sure....

NJ

Nick A

May 10, 2007
Columbus Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher CZ3D
Neil in West Jersey said:
The coins are so well preserved!!! One of the amazing things about this post is that both the Indian Head and the Flying Eagle are nickel colored, not bronze colored.

If you look at the pictures, I think the nickel and silver coins were pretty aggressively cleaned after finding. In the "dirty" pics, they do not look that shiny.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome find and best of all the coins are in great shape. Banner for sure.

OP
OP
kwdstalker

kwdstalker

Jun 11, 2008
edgar nebraska
Detector(s) used
garrett ultra gta 500 garrett 250 ace and gti2500
they were cleaned in a ultra sonic cleaner with heat then i put dish soap in it.did that off and on monday.the ring and pendent i finished with mothers wheel cleaner cream.thank for all the replys

mikewaz

Bronze Member
May 9, 2008
Chicago
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266 X Fisher F75
Oh man, what a fantastic find.
This is one you'll never forget (me neither). You'll be telling this story around the campfire 20 years from now. ;D
Mike

cdltpx

Jul 6, 2009
Galvez La 70769
Detector(s) used
ACE 250/2 coils BH 2 coils/ Garrett pinpointer.
Five dollar gold (half eagle)2009 red book page 252 =condition of coin seems to be ms-63 $1,350.
The other gold coin look on page 377-8 that is the closest I could find in the book as to the coin value it is a dealer thing to determine the value. Those are not too common I bet you can find out by going to the website where they are selling the gold from the SS central America page 31 red book. You ask me anytime you find the value of your detector or greater it should be banner...
Great find Banner all the way.
:wav:

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
cdltpx said:
Five dollar gold (half eagle)2009 red book page 252 =condition of coin seems to be ms-63 $1,350.
The other gold coin look on page 377-8 that is the closest I could find in the book as to the coin value it is a dealer thing to determine the value. Those are not too common I bet you can find out by going to the website where they are selling the gold from the SS central America page 31 red book. You ask me anytime you find the value of your detector or greater it should be banner...
Great find Banner all the way.
:wav:
surprisingly the quote you have has dropped 300.00 in the 2010 red book to 1,050.00 ms-63 page 253 very top of page..

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA
what are the lil coins to the right of the half eagle? are they gold also? did you find 4 coin coins? a Territory gold coin,the half eagle an 2 unknown coins to me?

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nick A (at1cad) said:
Neil in West Jersey said:
The coins are so well preserved!!! One of the amazing things about this post is that both the Indian Head and the Flying Eagle are nickel colored, not bronze colored.

If you look at the pictures, I think the nickel and silver coins were pretty aggressively cleaned after finding. In the "dirty" pics, they do not look that shiny.

That is because they are not MINT condition coins...they have a small amount of circulation wear on them, so they would not necessarily have a "shiny" luster.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread