GOLD COIN TODAY!!!!

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Found this beauty in the reject tray of the coin counting machine at a branch of my bank this afternoon while cashing in clad from recent hunts. As much as I would love to keep this coin, I REALLY need the $310 that I was offered to me, so I'm going to have to sell it :'( . I plan on keeping it over the weekend to be able to enjoy it for a little longer before I have to sell it. Pics are below. Remember folks, ALWAYS check the reject trays of coin counting machines. You never know what you might find (I got a '64 Roosie last year!!). One pic includes a clad quarter for size comparison.

Attachments

• Picture 583.jpg
    Picture 583.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,913
  • Picture 584.jpg
    Picture 584.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,940
  • Picture 585.jpg
    Picture 585.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,900
  • Picture 583.jpg
    Picture 583.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,884
  • Picture 584.jpg
    Picture 584.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,883
  • Picture 585.jpg
    Picture 585.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,876
Upvote 0

history hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2007
Menasha WI.
Detector(s) used
Nox 800 AT Max, Mine lab se pro/ Teknetics 7500 / teknetics 8000 / fisher m-scope (aquanut) 1280x/2ea compass relic magnum 6 /compass yukon 77b (professional) /compass yukon 71b
That's just awesome!!!! WTG!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find bud, best I ever found was an occasional silver rosie or forign coins in the reject bins.

BANNER!!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

cladHatter

Oct 20, 2011
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
that is unbelieveable luck. I only have foudn occacional silver dimes in change.

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
cladHatter said:
that is unbelieveable luck. I only have foudn occacional silver dimes in change.

And to think earlier this week I wasted $5 on Powerball tickets with a bunch of guys from work...ya just never know. Another funny thing is that I have a flexible schedule and took today off work. Had I gone to work today, and headed to the bank tomorrow (or any other day), I am 100% convinced someone else would've found the coin.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WAY TO GO!!! :hello2:
I bet that brightened up your day. :sunny:
Congrats,
MM

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on 'finding' gold Clad! :o
I'd be selling it too if I were you! :thumbsup:

Dave

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is some kind of Good Luck right there. Unreal. :thumbsup:

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad , what on earth are you talking about ? "modelled' on ? " Can't possibly determine the
country of origin" ??? King George V - 1911 , 91.6 pure gold , What am i missing here ?
You make it sound as though this is a cheap chinese knockoff - you either have a genuine
British half sovereign or a sovereign ! Could some of our UK. friends please chime in here ?
Argentium.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad , Your jeweler "friend" is not dealing honestly with you , if he told you that " sadly , if the
coin was 22k it would be worth a lot more " 91.6 pure gold is 22k ! So he either is trying to
rip you off, or he is not very knowledgeable about gold . Argentium.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That yellow metal always brings a little tear to my eye. What luck you have finding that one :hello2:

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Argentium said:
Clad , Your jeweler "friend" is not dealing honestly with you , if he told you that " sadly , if the
coin was 22k it would be worth a lot more " 91.6 pure gold is 22k ! So he either is trying to

This guy has several cases full of gold necklaces/misc. gold jewelry with the exact same type of coin on 'em in different sizes. I find it hard to believe that he (or any other jewelry mfr.) just happens to have that many sovereigns "just sitting around" to add to various pieces of jewelry. He operates a licensed jewelry store and has been in business many years. He also pays more $ for scrap gold and silver than any other retailer I have found in my local area. He said something to the effect that it is a real gold coin MODELED on the sovereign, NOT AN AUTHENTIC ONE. He told me that this is a fairly common coin MADE TO LOOK LIKE a British sovereign, BUT IS NOT AN ACTUAL SOVEREIGN (even though it is made out of real gold). He purchased a 14k bracelet from me for $110 last year, when no other merchant/jeweler/scrapper would offer me more than $90 for it. I trust this guy, but might get a 2nd opinion. Based on past dealings with scrappers in my area, I DO NOT expect to get a higher offer than what this jeweler has already offered me. We will see...

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unbelievable!! :o CONGRATS!

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Clad the Impaler said:
Argentium said:

This guy has several cases full of gold necklaces/misc. gold jewelry with the exact same type of coin on 'em in different sizes. I find it hard to believe that he (or any other jewelry mfr.) just happens to have that many sovereigns "just sitting around" to add to various pieces of jewelry. He operates a licensed jewelry store and has been in business many years. He also pays more $ for scrap gold and silver than any other retailer I have found in my local area. He said something to the effect that it is a real gold coin MODELED on the sovereign, NOT AN AUTHENTIC ONE. He told me that this is a fairly common coin MADE TO LOOK LIKE a British sovereign, BUT IS NOT AN ACTUAL SOVEREIGN (even though it is made out of real gold). He purchased a 14k bracelet from me for $110 last year, when no other merchant/jeweler/scrapper would offer me more than $90 for it. I trust this guy, but might get a 2nd opinion. Based on past dealings with scrappers in my area, I DO NOT expect to get a higher offer than what this jeweler has already offered me. We will see...

"He did, however, offer me a cool $310 for it."

8grams @ 21K

Weight of Alloy 8.00 Grams - 5.14 Dwts - 0.257 Troy Ozs
Alloy Gold of 1.000 Purity
Weight of Metal 0.257 Troy Oz of Pure Gold
Price Used 1,754.00 USD / Troy Oz

Value of Metal $451.19 USD

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man! That doesn't sound "Cool" at all.
Why don't you sell it on Tnet for $360?
I'm sure someone would buy it in a heartbeat and you would have made a "cool" extra $50 you can wave in your jewelers face.

JW15

Bronze Member
Apr 12, 2011
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705 w/DD coil Backup- 505,305.
That's an AWESOME score!!! :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: Take the coin to another jeweler and get a second opinion just to be on the safe-side. Also, if all else fails haggle with the first guy and push for $350.00. Lastly, take the coin to a coin shop and have a coin dealer tell you exactly what you have before you sell it.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANTIQUARIAN said:
Clad the Impaler said:
Argentium said:

"He did, however, offer me a cool $310 for it."

8grams @ 21K

Weight of Alloy 8.00 Grams - 5.14 Dwts - 0.257 Troy Ozs
Alloy Gold of 1.000 Purity
Weight of Metal 0.257 Troy Oz of Pure Gold
Price Used 1,754.00 USD / Troy Oz

Value of Metal $451.19 USD

Agreed your "good friend Jewler" only wants to make 50% off of you. A little greedy for a liquid commodity.

Here is a legitimate buy sell spread that you should get from ANY reputable dealer. (based on todays gold price (blue is the buy, green is the sell)

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,858

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread