GOLD COIN TODAY!!!!

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Found this beauty in the reject tray of the coin counting machine at a branch of my bank this afternoon while cashing in clad from recent hunts. As much as I would love to keep this coin, I REALLY need the $310 that I was offered to me, so I'm going to have to sell it :'( . I plan on keeping it over the weekend to be able to enjoy it for a little longer before I have to sell it. Pics are below. Remember folks, ALWAYS check the reject trays of coin counting machines. You never know what you might find (I got a '64 Roosie last year!!). One pic includes a clad quarter for size comparison.

Attachments

• Picture 583.jpg
    Picture 583.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,914
  • Picture 584.jpg
    Picture 584.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,941
  • Picture 585.jpg
    Picture 585.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,901
  • Picture 583.jpg
    Picture 583.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 1,885
  • Picture 584.jpg
    Picture 584.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 1,884
  • Picture 585.jpg
    Picture 585.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 1,877
Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
Hmmm.....it appears you folks are right. After searching completed auctions on Ebay, it seems most British sovereigns from the early 1900s appear to sell for between $400-$420 USD apiece in good condition. It also appears that most sellers list the coin as 22k (weight of ~.23 troy ozs. or so), NOT 21k I am concerned that the rim dents and surface scratches from going through the coin machine may lower the value of the coin I have. However, I am going to try to get at least $400 for it. There appears to be very little, if any, difference between the British, Australian, and Indian sovereigns from this time period. If there are any future readers of this thread who know more about sovereigns (especially if there is any way to tell what country they were minted in and what the mintage for that year is), please feel free to chime in. Thanks.

OP
OP
C

Clad the Impaler

Jan 11, 2010
UPDATE: After further research, I have determined that this is indeed an authentic British sovereign minted at the Sydney, Australia mint in 1911 (S mint mark on the reverse). Total mintage for that year is listed at 2,519,000. http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/sydneymintaustralia.html I am going to look up average sale prices now. Most prices listed are for AU or EF condition coins; I do not know if I can get prices like that due to surface scratches and rim dents caused by this coin passing through a coin counting machine... :(

g-olden years

Silver Member
Nov 10, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Any way you look at your gold coin --- obverse, reverse, upside-down, right-side-up, or spinning all around --- it is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS, a stunning find! I'm glad you're slowing down long enough to sell it at the best possible price. Congratulations! Andi

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad the Impaler said:
UPDATE: After further research, I have determined that this is indeed an authentic British sovereign minted at the Sydney, Australia mint in 1911 (S mint mark on the reverse). Total mintage for that year is listed at 2,519,000. http://www.goldsovereigns.co.uk/sydneymintaustralia.html I am going to look up average sale prices now. Most prices listed are for AU or EF condition coins; I do not know if I can get prices like that due to surface scratches and rim dents caused by this coin passing through a coin counting machine... :(

All I can add is its book price (2010) in UNC (uncirculated) is £175. However, as you know gold has gone up since last year.

KYshooter

Nov 28, 2009
Kentucky
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Whites MXT, Garrett ProPointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A jeweler is still a jeweler, no matter how much you "trust" him. Theirs is the highest mark-up business on the planet.

You really need to get that looked at by a reputable coin dealer.

And if you're going to sell it for "scrap," then ARA Gold in Texas http://www.aragold.com/ will pay you 98% of today's spot value. You'll get somewhere around 50% more than he offered you.

I sold a piece of gold to a jeweler once. I learned my lesson. Never again ...

I took in a large 18k gold ring to have it weighed. It contained 14.1 grams of pure gold (just over 1/3 ounce). This "jeweler" offered me $210 for it. Spot on it at the time was $525. That's just how they roll.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
congrats! that is a great find! Hope you get the highest dollar for it!

Navy Dude

Nov 2, 2011
Lutz Florida
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OMG, I wonder what the people at Publix are going to say when I waltz in with my MD and Beep Beep the reject tray. LOL

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that takes the cake! Congrats.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I know what it means to need the cash right now believe me!!! But please listen to the folks here and get 2nd, 3rd and 4th opinions!!! If you can wait a week for the money get as many offers as you can before selling it. Best of luck,

HH Charlie

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Clad the Impaler said:
Hmmm.....it appears you folks are right. After searching completed auctions on Ebay, it seems most British sovereigns from the early 1900s appear to sell for between $400-$420 USD apiece in good condition. It also appears that most sellers list the coin as 22k (weight of ~.23 troy ozs. or so), NOT 21k I am concerned that the rim dents and surface scratches from going through the coin machine may lower the value of the coin I have. However, I am going to try to get at least $400 for it. There appears to be very little, if any, difference between the British, Australian, and Indian sovereigns from this time period. If there are any future readers of this thread who know more about sovereigns (especially if there is any way to tell what country they were minted in and what the mintage for that year is), please feel free to chime in. Thanks.

Look under the "dragon" and above the date for a letter. There is no difference in the coin except for this letter, which is kind of hidden, and hard to see.

C= canada
I = india
M. P, S = australia
SA + south Africa

I knew there was MUCH wrong with what the jewler told you, but didn't want to get into all of it. OK I must say this; the sudo soverign thing was a dead give away, ANYONE in business should never tell such BS, how can you believe anything he says after that ? I guess I should also add that, sure there are counterfeits made of gold coins with real gold, but only of rarer collector coins, not common sovereigns, and yes he may have had plenty, that's because they are not rare, and you can buy as many as you want , any time you want.

Also don't worry about the very minor imperfections your coin might have, 400 is a "standard" buy-sell margin. (as of yesterday, anyway) It DOES NOT reduce the value of your coin below the stated amount, OK. As someone stated above just sell it on here. (no E-bay commissions either, which are rather steep)

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ANTIQUARIAN said:
Clad the Impaler said:
Argentium said:
Clad , Your jeweler "friend" is not dealing honestly with you , if he told you that " sadly , if the
coin was 22k it would be worth a lot more " 91.6 pure gold is 22k ! So he either is trying to
rip you off, or he is not very knowledgeable about gold . Argentium.

This guy has several cases full of gold necklaces/misc. gold jewelry with the exact same type of coin on 'em in different sizes. I find it hard to believe that he (or any other jewelry mfr.) just happens to have that many sovereigns "just sitting around" to add to various pieces of jewelry. He operates a licensed jewelry store and has been in business many years. He also pays more $ for scrap gold and silver than any other retailer I have found in my local area. He said something to the effect that it is a real gold coin MODELED on the sovereign, NOT AN AUTHENTIC ONE. He told me that this is a fairly common coin MADE TO LOOK LIKE a British sovereign, BUT IS NOT AN ACTUAL SOVEREIGN (even though it is made out of real gold). He purchased a 14k bracelet from me for $110 last year, when no other merchant/jeweler/scrapper would offer me more than $90 for it. I trust this guy, but might get a 2nd opinion. Based on past dealings with scrappers in my area, I DO NOT expect to get a higher offer than what this jeweler has already offered me. We will see...

"He did, however, offer me a cool $310 for it."

8grams @ 21K

Weight of Alloy 8.00 Grams - 5.14 Dwts - 0.257 Troy Ozs
Alloy Gold of 1.000 Purity
Weight of Metal 0.257 Troy Oz of Pure Gold
Price Used 1,754.00 USD / Troy Oz

Value of Metal $451.19 USD

Good call dave Right on for price and I cannot find one with a md and i live in Australia

tinpan

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey tin pan Gold Coins are hard to come by in the dirt no matter where you live. ;D

And Clad, for the record I do know what I am talking about, this pic should be proof, And I had many more, but was smart enough to sell a bunch of them (The common ones) when gold hit 1900.oo , the highest ever, frankly I was watching the computer, and I was going to wait for 2000.oo, but though too many people will also be making big profit, so I pulled the plug, now over a month later gold is 1750 +-.

Attachments

• IMG_2832.JPG
    IMG_2832.JPG
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,064

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
21k ??? LMAO :laughing9: Yeah, its 22k or 90% pure gold.... No 21k !! :icon_scratch: :laughing7: Nice find congratulations !! :icon_thumleft: :notworthy:

Keep @ it and HH !! ;D :D

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, jewelers have insane markups I agree, I'd try selling it on one of the forums, ebay, or craigslist before going with the jeweler. Whatever you decide, its a beautiful find, not much beats finding Gold Coins :occasion14:

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
Hey tin pan Gold Coins are hard to come by in the dirt no matter where you live. ;D

And Clad, for the record I do know what I am talking about, this pic should be proof, And I had many more, but was smart enough to sell a bunch of them (The common ones) when gold hit 1900.oo , the highest ever, frankly I was watching the computer, and I was going to wait for 2000.oo, but though too many people will also be making big profit, so I pulled the plug, now over a month later gold is 1750 +-.

Local gold dealer takes 20% which not so bad. Seeing i cannot find a gold coin might make my own Big ones at 1 troy oz each call them. Tin hammered gold coin. Get nearly 22 out this container if had not sold it.

tinpan

Attachments

• S7300753.JPG
    S7300753.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,566
  • S7300753.JPG
    S7300753.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 1,559

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tinpan said:
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:

Local gold dealer takes 20% which not so bad. Seeing i cannot find a gold coin might make my own Big ones at 1 troy oz each call them. Tin hammered gold coin. Get nearly 22 out this container if had not sold it.

tinpan

20% reasonable, and about average for raw.

That is a beautiful handful of yellow, my favorite color.

Was that one season worth ? even if not AWESOME !

tinpan

Silver Member
Sep 4, 2004
Eaglehawk
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
GPX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:
tinpan said:
Rick (Nova Scotia) said:

tinpan

20% reasonable, and about average for raw.

That is a beautiful handful of yellow, my favorite color.

Was that one season worth ? even if not AWESOME !

Took me 2 years few pieces each hunt

tinpan No Big ones left

slak jak

Mar 13, 2008
melbourne australia
Detector(s) used
whites pi 1000 x2. quatro , ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
well clad , happy for you & i know about needing to sell finds.
back in 1999 , when i found the 1930 ausie penny , i took it to 3 coin & jewelery
dealers , the first 1 tried to tell me that it was a copy ,bull , so it went to a respable dealer ,it went to a coin auction in sydney & sold for $6200 , made me very happy ,so much for not checking around . hope you get what it really is
worth , best of luck & hh, slak jak

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread