Gold Cross with Emeralds

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Old Man:
There are no more than three other labs in the world who at this point in time have the capability of determining in a precise and technical fashion the EXACT geographical origin of an emerald. To do this you need to have physical and representative samples or specimens from all known emerald deposits in the world (there are 132 known, including Russian synthetic emeralds). Of these, only two labs use the Infrared and Raman microscopy system which is the only 100% reliable method for determining the geographical origin of any emerald. There are other less reliable methods that use "indicative factors" but are not in anyway precise and no jeweler is capable of determining the true origin of an emerald without very advanced equipment that they do not use.
Now regarding the date an emerald was extracted from the earth or when it was cut, it is IMPOSSIBLE to determine in itself, though the kind of cut and the absence or presence of the so called "treatments" inside the crystal can be indicative of the age. Since the Egyptians it was known that they "boiled" the emeralds in different oils to enhance its color and to camouflage the minuscule voids and impurities. The kind of substance that the emerald was treated in is also indicative but not determinant. For instance in somebody was today trying to pass a present day Muzo emerald for a 1622 one, the treatment present could be a dead giveaway. Today, the correct terminology for this process is called "enhancement" and not treatment. As a result of this discussion we are thinking of starting a "historical dating method" in conjunction with the History Department of the National University here in Colombia. Hope this clears up some of your doubts,
Panfilo

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Old Man, thanks for triggering the responses you have received.
Panfilo, thanks for the in-depth responses; most informative.
If there were a banner for responses, I'd nominate yours.
Now, I need only find an emerald for your company to examine.........
Don.....

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This has become a very interesting thread since I first read it a while back... :icon_study:

Bran <><

Panfilo

Feb 20, 2007
Thank you Don for your kind and generous words. You're more than welcome to come "down South" and visit the emerald mines anytime you want. Your reputation as a very knowledgeable and experienced authority on shipwrecks has made it to far off places like these and I look forward to meeting you, take care,
Panfilo

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread