Gold cube and miller table

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that I have a little experience with prospecting I was thinking running material through a gold cube then using a miller table to cleanly extract the cons from the cube might be a good one two punch. Any thoughts? I get really frustrated panning some of the really fine stuff, very hard to separate from the black sand without panning black sand out and probably losing gold.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How often are you emptying the Pyramid Pro Pan (I gather that is what you are using)? It sounds like you are cleaning pretty often since you apparently end up with a lot of concentrates. You should be able to just continually operate it (add new feed material to it and sluff off the lighter material, bigger stones, etc. AKA production panning) until you have mostly black sands in the rectangular bottom section of the pan below the bottom of the metal riffles before a cleanout is necessary. At that point save everything not just what is in the tube area where the plug is. With production panning you will end up with minimal but richer concentrates to screen and pan at the end of the day.

As far as classifying feed.....I think the Fossicker (inventer) recommends about 1" max size for efficiency so....make it easy on yourself.

Good luck.

I empty it out about once every four fills or so, I wait until I get to the point I can no longer add a shovel of material without it over flowing over the top because it is so full of fines. I do not classify anything before running the pro pan, I have a pretty good system I think with removing larger rocks but it's hard to explain. I like that pro pan but my back is killing me. Found a good spot today, will be going out again tomorrow.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice to read so much about how you are doing. You only need to do the classifying beyond -12 (or even -4) for the last couple cups of heavies...NOT for all your paydirt. (So do this fine classifying at home!!)

Learning what sizes of gold you have is an important part of learning to get gold from your area. Good job there.

Classifying with standing water above the level of the screen is ideal. Much quicker and as you say, the small stuff drops right thru that way! (It doesn't need force of water flow unless you overload the classifier.

Well how do I get down to the last couple cups of heavies? I didn't get a cube yet, maybe you thought I had ordered one but I haven't yet. Right now I use a small alluvial bucket sluice for a lot of clean up, that little sucker actually does a pretty good job sucking out the heavies, I have panned tailings and only found one tiny spec of gold in them.

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
youll like the Gold Cube if-n-when you do get it! Id save all the material you worked for until you get the Cube and rerun them just to see what you missed.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Well how do I get down to the last couple cups of heavies? I didn't get a cube yet, maybe you thought I had ordered one but I haven't yet. Right now I use a small alluvial bucket sluice for a lot of clean up, that little sucker actually does a pretty good job sucking out the heavies, I have panned tailings and only found one tiny spec of gold in them.

The old fashioned way- with a gold pan. I use a 14 inch Proline Professional or sometimes the Garrett SuperSluice pan. Remember the goal is NOT to get down to just gold, it's just to get rid of more waste material that you don't want to carry home for final classifying and processing.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm on to something big here, creek is dropping rapidly, it is revealing the larger cobble of the gravel bar, it is like a progression, the closer to the channel the gravel gets the bigger the cobble, gotta get out there! Bottlecap out.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The old fashioned way- with a gold pan. I use a 14 inch Proline Professional or sometimes the Garrett SuperSluice pan. Remember the goal is NOT to get down to just gold, it's just to get rid of more waste material that you don't want to carry home for final classifying and processing.

Makes sense, I had often wondered if people panned just down to heavies and not necessarily down to gold, I'll give that a shot.

arizau

Bronze Member
May 2, 2014
AZ
Detector(s) used
Beach High Banker, Sweep Jig, Whippet Dry Washer, Lobo ST, 1/2 width 2 tray Gold Cube, numerous pans, rocker box, and home made fluid bed and stream sluices.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Makes sense, I had often wondered if people panned just down to heavies and not necessarily down to gold, I'll give that a shot.

That also can be done in the Pro Pan to a certain extent. Since you are cleaning out often and collecting the concentrates, reprocess your collected material in the Pro Pan at the end of the day to reduce the total volume of concentrates you take home.

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That also can be done in the Pro Pan to a certain extent. Since you are cleaning out often and collecting the concentrates, reprocess your collected material in the Pro Pan at the end of the day to reduce the total volume of concentrates you take home.

Or i could just bite the bullet and get a gold cube.....:laughing7:

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Why not? Just because we don't have a lot of gold here I assume? If a guy was to order one is one place better than another to order from?

Really hard to justify the spend when you aren't allowed to use it in the field and wouldn't pay it off in a lifetime of MN digging. On the other hand, if you have plans to come west...go for it!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Really hard to justify the spend when you aren't allowed to use it in the field and wouldn't pay it off in a lifetime of MN digging. On the other hand, if you have plans to come west...go for it!

Well just maybe I can prove you wrong....

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Well just maybe I can prove you wrong....
Now thats an attitude that will cost you money........:laughing7:

Or you can try something like this.......... Which is a form of production panning.

Last edited:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Or i could just bite the bullet and get a gold cube.....:laughing7:

Or you could make a non motorized substitute out of a flat bottomed stream sluice just by using vortex matting (rough top conveyor belt) in it.
For best results place the sluice into the stream at a 15 degree angle (3" to a foot of drop) and feed your cons into it from the flair.

Just like the gold cube dont forget to "spank" the mat to remove any air trapped in the pockets of the mat before running your cons.

GG~

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is the best method I have seen yet to get the trays ready to run.... You know, getting rid of the air bubbles.......

The technique starts at the 2:20 mark.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to sound negative....
But that is the slowest cube I've ever seen.

I think he needs a stronger pump for the 4 stack especially when the top tray is elevated that far off the ground. The amount of head lift is too much for the pump and is robbing the gpm. Plus his magnet technique could use some fine tuning. :tongue3:

Other than that thanks for sharing because I like his way of eliminating the air pockets in the mats :icon_thumleft:

GG~

Last edited:

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I hate to sound negative....
But that is the slowest cube I've ever seen.

I think he needs a stronger pump for the 4 stack especially when the top tray is elevated that far off the ground. The amount of head lift is too much for the pump and is robbing the gpm. Plus his magnet technique could use some fine tuning. :tongue3:

Other than that thanks for sharing because I like his way of eliminating the air pockets in the mats :icon_thumleft:

GG~

LOL..... The setting up of the mats is all I wanted to share... and I agree .... pretty slow, but he is also in the heavy beach sands of cape disappointment..... and they are heavy and dense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a really good method to get the cube ready to rock. Still kicking around the idea of getting one, would be great for condensing cons to a reasonable amount. Guess if it didn't work out I could sell it.....

HMiller

Aug 6, 2015
Darrington, Wa.
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro, Bazooka Sniper 30", Gold Cube 4 Stack, Gold Cube Trommel, Gold Screw Trommel, Jaw crushers, Impact Mill, Shaker Table, Spiral Wheels, Blue Bowl, Sluices, Picks, Pry Bars, Shovels,
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let me know when your ready to sell. :p

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread