Gold cube and miller table

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that I have a little experience with prospecting I was thinking running material through a gold cube then using a miller table to cleanly extract the cons from the cube might be a good one two punch. Any thoughts? I get really frustrated panning some of the really fine stuff, very hard to separate from the black sand without panning black sand out and probably losing gold.

Upvote 0

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Can't hurt to give them a good cleaning with Dawn dish soap and a medium nylon brush.

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do I need to scrub the trays down with some kind of soap or can I just make sure the air bubbles are out and let her buck?

If they are band new, cleaning would be good in case there is any manufacturing oil residue left over, but after that, it shouldn't need anything extra.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Do you guys think I can use my battery charger for the cube? It has a 6 amp setting but I see the pump has a 5 amp fuse and 3.3 amp draw.

Probably yes. Buy a replacement fuse (good to have anyway) and try it!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Holy S this Cube is sweet. Just ran all of the "already ran" cons I had laying around. Will update more after a Father's Day meal.

Lenny Joe Bob

Nov 24, 2015
Apple Valley, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Whites TDI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi...Just so happens that I have that very set up....The Gold Cube really knocks down the material down to concentrates with the black sand....Some of it is still pretty course, so you still have to pan out some of the rough stuff....the table works best with the finer material...but it does a great job...you can really see the gold when it comes out...I really like my set up....Good Luck...

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi...Just so happens that I have that very set up....The Gold Cube really knocks down the material down to concentrates with the black sand....Some of it is still pretty course, so you still have to pan out some of the rough stuff....the table works best with the finer material...but it does a great job...you can really see the gold when it comes out...I really like my set up....Good Luck...

What kind of miller table do you have?

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey guys just wanted to update you a bit. I have still been getting out on a regular basis and that Cube really helps retain gold and reduce the material! Been hitting the same creek on a regular basis lately just because I know there is gold there, most of what I get is -100 mesh, it is really hard to get that gold to separate from the black sand, seems no matter how much I shake the pan the small stuff can't seem to make it's way through the black sand. I gotta get one of those rare earth magnets, maybe that will help with this fine stuff.
When I initially got the Cube I first ran all material I had laying around, everything, and I had missed a decent amount of gold through my panning, I was really excited with the amount the Cube had recovered.....then I remembered that mixed in with all of the cons I had gathered locally there was some pay dirt from Gold Hog and Dirt Hogg, obviously some of the gold recovered was from them, not what I had gathered. I ran all of the fresh stuff I had gathered and there was decent gold but nothing near what I had recovered from the pay dirt mixed with local dirt rerun. The stuff I had gathered locally probably amounted to about 1 full 5 gallon bucket so not a ton of material. The -100 mesh stuff I am keeping to process later is fairly loaded with sweet yellow, actually looks pretty cool in the pan, gold specks glistening throughout the black sand. I still may get a miller table for running -100 stuff but will first try getting what I can out with a magnet. I don't even really have an issue recovering gold from the -70 to +100 range but that small stuff is tough. I think it's probably smart I am keeping all of that stuff to process properly. Great news though, tomorrow I will have almost a full day to gather cons, I am torn between going to spots I know have small amount of gold or trying a new area. I did try a new creek today that was better than my normal spot, problem was the only gravel was in the faster moving water with boulders, it was EXTREMELY hard to get shovels of dirt out of, I was digging behind a large rock but it got to the point that without a backhoe I couldn't get any more rocks out of the way. I am excited for tomorrow but really hope I make the right decision on location. The new area I am considering is a terminal moraine consisting of sediment from the Superior Lobe, Des Moines Lobe and Rainy Lobe and is a glacial sluiceway according to my research. Looks promising but I don't know how high the river is.....if it's sandy, rock, gravel, etc.. I may have to run up there to check it out.

Capt Nemo

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2015
Oshkosh, WI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For myself, I built a cutting mat table out of 1/4" acrylic. ~$120 Runs on a 120V 180 gph fountain pump. Will fit in a 10 gallon Rubbermaid Tuffbin which also serves as the tank.

But I've seen wood/mat builds as well. They really aren't that hard to build.

IMG_2810.JPG

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Bottlecap for your personal information to keep for your self , Id recommend that you keep notes / pictures of the locations you go to for the future . A friend of mine that passed away 10/12 years ago started doing this and was going to write a book of it for Missouri BUT he passed away and another friend got all his equipment /notes and I offered to add some of my info to him in this quest, BUT he also had a heart attack and quit prospecting and moved. theres no chance to aquire this info anymore. BUT it is a great thought to do!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottlecap for your personal information to keep for your self , Id recommend that you keep notes / pictures of the locations you go to for the future . A friend of mine that passed away 10/12 years ago started doing this and was going to write a book of it for Missouri BUT he passed away and another friend got all his equipment /notes and I offered to add some of my info to him in this quest, BUT he also had a heart attack and quit prospecting and moved. theres no chance to aquire this info anymore. BUT it is a great thought to do!

What a great idea!! I could probably do a little better job of posting more pics of my adventures on here too!

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's what I found today at a new spot. Not much there but I was forced to take what I could get as all of the rivers are flooded up into the woods right now.
20160626_203404.jpg

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Grizzly Goldtrap Explorer & Motherlode, Gold Cube with trommel or Banker on top, Angus Mackirk Expedition, Gold-n-Sand Xtream Hand pump
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I'm happy to see you out exploring and making it work despite water levels, weather, etc. You seem to understand that prospecting is an action verb not just a job title!
[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji106]🏻[emoji482]

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm happy to see you out exploring and making it work despite water levels, weather, etc. You seem to understand that prospecting is an action verb not just a job title!
[emoji106]��[emoji106]��[emoji106]��[emoji482]

Hey thanks Kevin! I had some Cube process questions for you guys. If you are using it in the field what is your process for classifying to an eighth inch? Do you use your hose from your cube on your screen or pile dirt on the classifier and use buckets of water to wash it off? Just trying to figure out what might be easier on my back. Also wondering how many of you use a high banker, then cube, just curious. I know classification is a necessary evil but I would give anything to somehow expedite that process. If I could just throw shovels of dirt into something I would be sitting much better. I don't live too far from Wisconsin and it is legal to use a sluice at the river over there.

KevinInColorado

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2012
Summit County, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Let's see:
1. You can use the hose to help classify (great idea) but once you start running dirt in the cube, keep the water flowing in the cube constantly until cleanout...to avoid bubbles forming in the mats.
2. Using classifiers, I just fill a bucket with water, then the classifier sits down into the water so a simple stirring of paydirt drops the -8 material into the bucket.
3. Actually, I use the "Banker" topper or the trommel topper on the cube when I use one. Means less bending over :)

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
High hopes for my clean up of my cons from this spot, I have been here once before but only had a little time but even in the small amount of time I recovered some decent gold for these parts. I used the Pro Pan and have about 2 gallons of dirt to run through the cube. Here is the spot, thought I would put in a little more effort posting pics for you guys that are helping me out. If you look at this pick I was on the inside bend, you can see a huge rock with moss growing on it, I worked my butt off getting rocks out of the way to dig under that rock and behind it, rock made an awesome table for my shovel, phone, keys and of course heaters. Straight behind that rock in the BIG rocks there was a family mink playing and hunting in the crevices. I love this spot, if you're willing to work at rock removal there is no end to spots to explore, this clean out may be really good, last time I was there every exposed rock you see was underwater.
20160704_153848 (1).jpg

A little minnow found his way into my shovel, got Pro Panned, classified then into the con bucket.
20160704_150924 (1).jpg

At a different spot(sucked for gold) bumped into some baby raccoons.
20160701_145856.jpg

Help with the Cube from my best bud!!
20160618_111718.jpg

OP
OP
bottlecap

bottlecap

Feb 22, 2014
West Metro, Mn
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I noticed when you click on a picture you can actually click on it again and make it a good full screen pic, then maybe you guys can see the moss covered rock I am referring to, I didn't notice this before but you can actually kind of see the area behind the rock I cleared out, I took the picture after I was done for the day.

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool!
If you ever visit the Oregon coast bring the Gold Cube!
I will give it some fuel.....:laughing7:

DSCN6041.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread