Gold Filled - Figuring out a Value

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
Unfortunately gold filled is only about 1 very small step above gold plated. Most will be marked 1/20 G.F. Which would mean that it has to be composed of 1/20 th of what ever alloy the gold is. Hope this helps a little.

Henry2

May 27, 2011
It will be hard to find a shop that will buy it if any, probably better off putting it in your collection of finds.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks guys.

I'll try polishing it up and see how it comes out.

I had a meeting I had to run to last night so just as I was walking out of the house I handed it to my wife. She handed it to my two year old to play with so for all I know it maybe lost again...lol.

NJ

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are worthless to a refinery.

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
The refinery we deal with will buy it by the pound and do a fire assay before cutting a check. The check will generally be small.

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks again for the feedback

It will most likely become part of my daughters 'dress up' jewelery.

NJ

minton7

Mar 28, 2007
south central ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectrum XLT
according to ARA, they do take gold filled items and assay out whatever gold is in them. They said a typical gold filled pocket watch nets about 7-8 bucks in gold. I have several filled items I am going to send when I send the rest of my hoard.. am curious to see what they bring

OP
OP
N.J.THer

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a nice gold filled late 1800s pocket watch case I found a few years ago. It is such a good looking piece I could not imagine having it melted down. If I find many more rings that look like a lawn mower ate it then I may have to send a pile in to see what I get...lol.

NJ

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
N.J.THer said:
I have a nice gold filled late 1800s pocket watch case I found a few years ago. It is such a good looking piece I could not imagine having it melted down. If I find many more rings that look like a lawn mower ate it then I may have to send a pile in to see what I get...lol.

NJ
Look up or Google watch makers or antique restoration shops close to you. A lot of times they'll buy pocket watch cases parts and chrystals for way more then you can get for scrap to replenish their parts drawers.

Nuggetville

Feb 28, 2011
boogeyman said:
N.J.THer said:

NJ
Look up or Google watch makers or antique restoration shops close to you. A lot of times they'll but pocket watch cases parts and chrystals for way more then you can get for scrap to replenish their parts drawers.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread