All Treasure Hunting

Generic_Lad

Bronze Member
Jul 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Bounty Hunter Quick Draw
Primary Interest:
Other
Most refiners will take gold filled items, you just have to have XXX grams of it for them to scrap it. But generally gold filled stuff is antique and some of it will sell for more than scrap on eBay.

OP
OP
jamey

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks generic lad i really just want to keep it and soak the gold out of it i want some 24kt gold to make something for my daughter and son.it would be nice to have a barrel to throw the stuff in and just let it soak for whenever i think i have alot is regina the only thing you can use,how about good ole coke a cola

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've checked out some videos online before, but haven't gone beyond that. I do think you can do it on a small scale. Check it out and give it a try. I'm curious to see how it works.

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no way you can take 10K gold filled or plated items and dip them in something that will yield 24K gold. Doesn't exist. This is why refiners charge to do this, it is a complicated procedure using very toxic and dangerous materials. Aqua regia (not regina) will not only eat away the gold but many of the metals it is plated or rolled on. Mercury will eat away the gold, but you then need to boil off the mercury which is extremely hazardous to your health. It takes a LOT of 10K gold filled or plated items to yield several grams of gold. You will be better off sending it to the pros and paying them to do it for you.

OP
OP
jamey

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks gunsil,i knew there were more steps to it to get 24k but i think you are right about sending it off

OP
OP
jamey

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks cazisme ya 500.00 dollars is quite a bit

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why don't you sell the items as is and use the money to have something made? Gold filled items sell pretty good on ebay. I'm fixing to list a small lot of gold filled pens/pencils myself. Also, I don't know if you really want to make anything out of 24k gold, it is kind of soft and damages easily.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
The process to refine your own gold is complicated, expensive, and dangerous. It can be done but I would not recommend it to anyone unless you are prepared to do it on a semi-large scale operation. Good luck.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the refiners I use requires 500 grams min (1 full pound) I have a lot more than that right now but just holding off till AU goes up more. It takes a long time to even get 100 grams.

Here is another forum I belong to GOLD REFINING FORUM - GOLD REFINERS HELPING ONE ANOTHER Do a lot of reading before asking any questions as most members love to help newbies but get tired of them asking questions that are already in their old posts. You can learn everything possible that you need to know.

OP
OP
jamey

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thank you cyberdan,im going to being lurking in there

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread