gold fragment of lunula 2200-2000BC updated 02/17/2009

ukeden

Jun 16, 2006
cumbria
Detector(s) used
ace 250,whites spectrum
spoke to a flo from the museum today and she told me my fragment is part of a lunula necklace from the bronze age she seamed very excited about the find i have to go and see her next Wednesday were she will give me a report and information ..........:-)

Gold lunula is the term used to describe a distinctive type of early Bronze Age necklace shaped like a crescent moon. Gold Lunula are found most commonly in Ireland, but there are moderate numbers in other parts of Europe as well, particularly Great Britain. Although no lunula has been directly dated, from associations with other artefact's it is thought they were being made sometime in the period between 2200-2000BC (Needham 1996, 124). Less than two hundred gold lunulae are known and it is possible they were all the work of a handful of experts.

The most telling lunulae discovered were from Kerivoa, Brittany. Here three lunulae were discovered in the remains of a box with some sheet gold and a rod of gold. The rod had its terminals hammered flat in the manor of the lunuae. From this it is thought that Lunulae were made by hammering a rod of gold flat so it became sheet-like and fitted the desired shape. Decoration was then applied by impressing designs with a stylus. The stylus used often leaves tell-tale impressions on the surface of the gold and it is thought that all the lunulae from Kerivoa, and another two from Saint-Potan, Brittany and Harlyn Bay, Cornwall were all made with the same tool. This suggests that all five lunulae were the work of one craftsperson and the contents of the Kerivoa box their tools of trade.

Gold lunulae have decorative patterns very much resembling contemporary beaker pottery. They also resemble amber and jet spacer necklaces, which are thought to be slightly later in date. The ideology associated with this type of pattern is unknown. Equally the ideological link between the different materials these necklaces were made of remains a mystery.

UPDATE !!!!
hi forgot to let u no no Ive bean to the musem didn't get a lot more info other than it will go to an inquest to be declared as treasure and then a report would be done and valued that's all i can add for now i shure would like to find the rest :icon_study:

UPDATE 12/09/08

today my lunula was declared treasure i wont be getting it back but it will be going to a local museum i was told the value would be betwean £500 and £1000 split between me and the farmer think i will put the money towards a new detector that has depth love my whites egale though..

2/17/09 valuation

today my letter has come from the British museum they have valued the pice at £500 their was a whole one offed for sale at sotherbys in in December 1990 value £15,000-£20,000 witch was withdrawn as far as I'm aware their is no other lunula ever bean offed for sale in the open market any comments on value welcome to me its priceless and i would rather keep it thanks for reading :thumbsup:

Attachments

• index.php.jpg
    index.php.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 6,255
  • index.php.jpg
    index.php.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 6,182
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    12.4 KB · Views: 6,418
  • lunulaedetail_000.jpg
    lunulaedetail_000.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 6,405
  • DSC00449.JPG
    DSC00449.JPG
    127.9 KB · Views: 1,396
Upvote 1

mikeofaustin

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Detector(s) used
dfx
Re: gold fragment of lunula 2200-2000BC

I sure hope the gov'ment doesn't come take it away...

Nice find.

What I'd like to know, what equipment where you using, and what area were you hunting? I'm wondering if it's possible to tweak your machine for more gold, and hunt again, looking for more pieces.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WELL DONE.

'pays to be honest'

I knew it was rare as I had seen none similar, but my Bronze age knowledge is somwhat limited to axes,spear,dirks etc.

I suspected Saxon but in the end far rarer. Even in that condition you should get a good valuation. If you need advice along the way, then just ask. It will take well over a year to get the money/item back but you are contributing to our history (& this is priceless in that respect).

You are very lucky & may you get many more similar finds (the farmer will trust you more now & you have banked some points). It will be hard to find an older UK piece than that one 8) 8) 8) 8)

O

ohannos

A piece of a necklace in gold over 4000 years old!!! That is a mighty thought to me and reality to you. Has it sunk in yet? Big congratulations

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Forgot - BANNER BANNER BANNER.

OP
OP
ukeden

ukeden

Jun 16, 2006
cumbria
Detector(s) used
ace 250,whites spectrum

thanks for the support on this CRUSADER it hasn't sunk in yet I'm going to find the rest of it cant wait to see the report with all the information

O

ohannos

Oh yes of course. This should be on the BANNER!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congrats on the Banner.

Thanks to the Mods for their support on this truly spectacular piece of history. We are lucky to see this in real time & can't wait for the British Museum report which will take 3-8months! This will contribute to all of our greater knowledge particularly the UK Bronze Age. WOW

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana

Fantabulous find!

Please share the results of the report...

I hope you find the rest of it!

Baggins

Bronze Member
Jan 2, 2007
TEXAS
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV / Garrett Ace 250/Minelab X-Terra 70

That is amazing! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story!
Baggins

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder

Fantastic find and love the history/info you posted!

strike it rich

Jun 19, 2007
Detector(s) used
Treasure baron with Goldtrax

Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner
Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner
Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner
Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A bannerBanner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner Banner da da Banner da da da Banner def A banner

I think this should be a banner find

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger

What an astounding find....... I have no words for a 4000-year-old item like this. All I can say is Congratulations! (and Well Done!!)

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

:o Simply incredible! I can't imagine finding something that OLD, let alone digging it out of the ground and holding it in my hand. Congrats on the banner, too.

Can you give us more details on how deep it was, etc.? Please share the full report when it comes in.

HH

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other

Hmmmph! No, I think it is part of a golden calf meant to be worshipped! Watch out for the wrath! ;D Whatever it is, it is a true treasure to have found!

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Fantastic! I can't even imagine how great that must feel... enjoy it!

Cheers and HH,
Brendan

OP
OP
ukeden

ukeden

Jun 16, 2006
cumbria
Detector(s) used
ace 250,whites spectrum

WOW.........my find made the banner that makes me feal very proud of my find thanks for all your support and intrest .............

this was found at about 8inch depth with my whites I'm sure the vdi was something like 28 or 26 and was a very sharp signal i shure do hope i can find the rest would love to see it whole just the thought of who wore that makes me think wow

thanks mike ....

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

awesome ! congrats on the great piece of history WOW ;)

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I thought that looked like gold. ;D Also thought that it wasn't a spoon. ;) 8)

This is truly a SPECTACULAR recovery! It deserves to be on the banner.

Well done, my friend. Best wishes on recovering more pieces of the lunula.

Regards,

Buckleboy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread