Just cleaned the mud off and found a 1913 buffalo

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I've had this buffalo in my cup of assorted stuff for a while now, and since I'm supposed to be cleaning up my mess today, I decided to start with the coins in the cup. I found this buffalo in a vacant lot nearby a while back, but just tossed it in the cup because I couldn't make out a date and just figured it was another mystery year, and forgot about it.

Anyway, I hit it with some windex and started rubbing the crusty mud off and noticed that the mound under the buffalo didn't have a line through it, and that I could still read the "five cents" on the mound. When I turned it over and worked on the other side I noticed that the "13" in 1913 is clearly visible now that the mud is gone, and the top of the 9 is still there too. The metal is reddish black, but I'm going to try to shine it up a bit, and maybe take some better pics......

Attachments

• 100_0785.JPG
    100_0785.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 670
  • 100_0789.JPG
    100_0789.JPG
    18.7 KB · Views: 679
Upvote 0

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great that it has a date! Those are hard to find. Good idea on the Windex too. I'll have to try that. :)

Nana

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
I've dug dozens of Buffs, and that one is in better shape than any of them; that's a nice find!

lockman209

Jun 4, 2005
Chippewa Falls
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle SL II, Whites PRL-1, (3) Whites DFX's, Whites Coinmaster 4G, Whites Silver Eagle, 2010 Whites Coinmaster, Fisher 1212-X, Fisher 1225-X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

camb1

Bronze Member
Dec 11, 2006
Southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 1000 & Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Boy that is in great shape. Congrats

OP
OP
Ken from Atlanta

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
I didn't scrub it at all, just wiped it with my fingers, all it did was break loose the mud which was a slimy clay and make it easier to clean off. it left the patina on the coin so I don't think it affected the metal in any way.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Buffalo Type I!!! Make absolutely certain it isn't a three-legged variety before you attempt any more drastic cleaning methods.

Regards,

Buckleboy

OP
OP
Ken from Atlanta

Ken from Atlanta

Feb 4, 2008
Olympia Washington
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
it was dug on a vacant lot nearby in an old flower bed. BTW my girlfriend came home and was not pleased that all I managed to do was clean off the coin jar coins, and then go out detecting.......I think I might have to actually clean up all the things I've exploded around the room here tomorrow. I've got quite a mess as I'm packing to head for New Orleans on monday.

Brendan M.

Apr 14, 2006
Warrensburg, New York
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Bullseye II pinpointer, Gray Ghost Headphones
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Buffalo! WTG!

One of the most effective cleaning methods for any type of nickel is the white vinegar+salt solution (you can find a full post on it in the "Cleaning" forum). It removes the red stain right before your eyes.

Good luck!

HH,
Brendan

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Buffalo is in nice shape, perhaps a more recent drop. I remember years ago I found one below a big oak tree that kids played around and mine was in such unbelieveable condition that my son and I figured it was probably dropped within the year and was most likely from a collection of one of the kid's parents... :)

Don

Mirage

Silver Member
Sep 16, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Ken from Atlanta said:
it was dug on a vacant lot nearby in an old flower bed. BTW my girlfriend came home and was not pleased that all I managed to do was clean off the coin jar coins, and then go out detecting.......I think I might have to actually clean up all the things I've exploded around the room here tomorrow. I've got quite a mess as I'm packing to head for New Orleans on monday.

:D :D Yeah, what a waste of time! Oh, wait. That's how I waste time. ;D ;D

Very good deal on the Buff.

Bob

Fishstank

Sep 18, 2007
3rd Gen. Arizona Native
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, Ace 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer
That's what I hate about buffalo's. I have one that was given to me and the date's rubbed off. I think this was a poor design flaw when they made these.

Fish

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread