Gold Gilt button at one site. Ground balancing nightmare at another

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I first off I found this button in hard pack. When wet, the gold gilt shows a lot better. The back of the button says "Allen & Pettit" on the top and "Philadelphia" on the bottom. I think someone posted a similar button long ago and it showed when I googled it. Any additional info would be appreciated. I guess it's from around the 1840s

The more frustrating topic is the house built in 1850 with big trees in the yard, open fields on the same property, and a rich history of a canal that ran next to the property starting in the early 1800s. Well, I took a day off and got there bright and early and walked around to scope out the areas I should hit first. There's even an old stone foundation of an even older building.

I put my coil to the ground, turned on my At pro and the thing started having a loud, VDI jumping seizure. I tried the auto ground balance and then manual to adjust and nothing made it quiet down. I thought maybe it was my coil so I changed to the stock coil and it was much worse. No electric fence and I got more than 50 yards from the house and it was only marginally better. And yes I made sure there weren't targets under coil with balancing. I tried for quite a while before I threw in the towel and left, not one target dug

Someone mentioned trying the frequency shift that the at pro has. I completely forgot about this while there. Would this fix such a drastic problem. Someone also mentioned it could be a live wire in the ground which makes sense because the homeowner had just had people dig a trench for some kind of line. That being said, the property on the opposite side of the canal also had this chatter so a live wire is maybe not it. It's pretty frustrating considering all that could be there

image-4145415684.jpg

image-3710385881.jpg

image-2674107272.jpg

be there

Upvote 1

SusanMN

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2007
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tiger Shark, Xterra 705, Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if you tried adjusting the sensitivity down? When I have encountered electrical interference that seemed to help some. If you still have the Tesoro, I'd try that.

OP
OP
borntohunt460

borntohunt460

Jul 30, 2013
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wondering if you tried adjusting the sensitivity down? When I have encountered electrical interference that seemed to help some. If you still have the Tesoro, I'd try that.
yeah the only way to make the noise stop even when stationary was to take the sensitivity all the way down.

I guess bringing the tesoro would be worth a shot. Unfortunately I've used it in a spot before that was highly mineralized and it didn't function while the at pro was able to

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's just weird, I hope you find our what's causing it and it's a simple fix. Let us know what's causing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread