Gold! Gold! Gold! And, a Bear!

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Well, not exactly but almost! :)

I was so close, I could smell it!
I found (4) items today that should have been gold but were/are gold plated!
A ring!
A Pendant!
A religious cross!
A button!

The day began early; I got GRB out of bed at 5:am but the boy had to stick around to send the wife off to town.
Good thing too; we had a visit by our local bear (again). He's a big cinnamon colored male and probably weighs in at nearly
350 lbs. That's pretty good size for a brown bear. The thing actually got in our house last year at about 2am one morning.
He was hungry, getting ready to hibernate. I'd left a window opened in the kitchen like a real dummy. The Game Warden told me they go into some sort of mad bear eating frenzy right before doing so. I'd heard something; got up and walked within 8 feet of that bear. He was busy eating dog meat my wife had placed on the counter in the kitchen to thaw out. Anyway, I got my gun, the bear got out the window, the wife stopped squealing . He came back 45 minutes later and I had to fire off a couple of warning shots into the ground with my Remington 870 with a short 12 gauge barrel on it. He came back again; three more shots. I couldn't bring myself to shoot the thing but decided right then and there that bear was not welcomed in my house. I didn't appreciate him doing his business on our carpet. Bear poop is no fun. I guess he was marking his territory or something. Anyway, Mr. Cinnamon was going after my dogs this morning and I popped him in the butt with a load of 22 cal. rat shot! Next time, I'll use the 12 gauge rubber buckshot the warden left me. Next, after next time; I don't know; I guess I'll have to let the wardens deal with him. He could have eaten me once and didn't; I feel sort of beholding. :)

Anyway, the field got hit again but all I found was junk. A rim fire casing, a bullet, and assorted stuff. I went to another old place I know and my very first find was the 1892 Liberty nickel. It's in poor shape. Later, I found a 1917D Buffalo but the date is almost worn off. I found two junk rings; one gold plated brass, the other, thin and silver. The little button is neat! It's in good shape and has "Waterbury Button Co." on the back.

Thanks for getting this far!
Have a "bear-less weekend!"
GRB

Attachments

• Assort-950.JPG
    Assort-950.JPG
    63.8 KB · Views: 1,507
  • CloUp-950.JPG
    CloUp-950.JPG
    52.1 KB · Views: 1,515
Upvote 0

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Any way you can get a close up of the button?...aa

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Thank you guys for giving my thread a gander!
Here's a couple of more pictures of the button!

**I came back to add, when I found the button it actually was attached to a chain!
The chain fell apart when I retrieved the button from the hole. :(

GRB

Attachments

• Bu-tFrt-Clo-950.JPG
    Bu-tFrt-Clo-950.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 1,448
  • ButBac-950.JPG
    ButBac-950.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 1,445

Findone

Jan 20, 2006
COPE SOUTH CAROLINA
Detector(s) used
DFX,XLT and Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of finds. :thumbsup:
The button looks like it may be a VFW button.
I hear that bear roast is pretty good. ::)
Try rock salt in a shotgun shell, it will burn for a while, and he won't forget it.
Don't feel to sorry for that bear, he may like man roast.
Leon

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I can BEARLY stand it.... I have never heard of anyone having a bear in their house... HOLEY CRAPOLA.. and hes got the guts to come back...many times... are you serioussssssss...... and he had nerve to leave a deposit as well...shame shame on him and he bearly knows ya too how rude... why dont ya go out and ummm mark all the trees or the area around your house with umm YOUR BEAR scent..lol... maybe he will get the hint.. but lordy, I would be sleeping with many guns in my bed lemme tell ya.. and you hunt this territory as well. You sir, have mega guts...

ohh congrats on the almost gold...but dang you sure did find some nice goodies anyways... keep on a digging and watch out for those bears will ya..... I guess hes not the huggy bear type huh... or the care bear personality either.. call the game warden and let them cart him off... before someone gets hurt.... please.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great story and finds ! keep your eyes open for that bear again :o and congrats on the finds :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Good morning Guys & Gals!
My wife and I survived another Trinidad, Colorado night without getting eaten by the barest of teeth! :)

Yep, true story for sure. And, there's probably more I could say; confirming my wife and I are not bear people. We moved to Colorado a couple of years ago. Back in East Texas the only thing we had to fear were alligators and coyotes. Yep, had alligators in our ponds back there. They often traveled overland from a creek located on the back of our property. Here, in Colorado one learns quick; don't mess with the bears. Don't feed them or think they are cuddlely; they aren't. I've been around guns all my life and know how to use them but hope it doesn't come to putting the critter down. That night, when I was forced to back away slowly to retrieve my shotgun the only thing I was thinking was how can I kill this thing without messing up the kitchen? I'm glad the bear read my mind and properly exited himself. My heart's just not in harming any creature but it ain't going to be in that bear either. :)

Thank you all for your concern and for reviewing my pittle of finds.
GRB

davidco

Jun 10, 2007
South Australia
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Xterra70,GP3500,Tesoro Tigershark.
Wow! Does the missus need a new fur coat? Great post I have just read it out to my wife who is chuckling away watching the telly. LOL
Cheers Davidco

TimC (North Alabama)

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2007
Cullman, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelabs-Garretts-Fishers-Teknetics-Whites-Nautilus-Tesoros'
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Roy, those are some nice finds. I wish I lived out west sometimes in that country, sounds exciting.

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All kidding aside, as I had a run in with a bear up in the poconos...Once a bear has the taste of blood, ( since this particular bear had killed some farm animals down the dirt road where there was a farm, humans are nothing more than another pc. of meat.) so maybe you really need to have the warden remove him to another area..far far away... cause once they eat meat....of any kind, they have no problems killing anything thats warm bloodied.

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello my T-Net Friends!
Yes, Mrs. Rae; those bears can be ornary creatures. This particular bear appears rather mild mannered but one never knows for sure until too late I would think. Mr. Cinnamon certainly doesn't like my dogs and managed to put 15 stiches in Binkie, the dalmatian mix last year. It was my dog's fault for chasing the bear and getting too close. And, it happened on a Sunday which meant I personally became acting dog surgeon! Which, I probably would have anyway. The episode could have been much worse. Every morning, part of my routine is checking for bear paw imprints on all windows. Mr Cinnamon must be over 6 foot tall, standing up as his paw marks reach as high as I can. Dam big boy of a bear! :)

One more thing; last year my wife and I happened to see Mr. Cinnamon with a pretty vanilla colored bear with chocolate feet! We assumed correctly she was female. A few months later we saw Ms. Choco Vanilla; she was being trailed by two little cinnamon bears! Our neighbor, the Braums shortly thereafter named their little part of the mountain Three Bear Ridge. I guess they saw Ms. Choco Vanilla and her cubs also. :)

Swing it slow!
GRB

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
I actually did take pictures at the time of seeing the two bears together. Regretfully, the range was too far for the little Minolta to capture properly. I'll try taking my Canon Rebel XTI with 24-70mm or 70-200mm lens along for the next few weeks and see if I can capture the two together again!

Thanks! I'm off to hunt!
GRB

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GRB,
Do you live out in the country? No neighbors close, beings as I am in a development here, this is new to me so ya don't think I sound stupid.. but I am visualizing you living out in the country? Looking for bear prints on your windows daily???? and your poor dog.. hope hes ok ... good grief..

OP
OP
Ron B

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Guys & Gal!
I hope your Memorial Day is making memories! (good ones)

Mrs. Rae,
Yes, I live about 15 miles west of Trinidad; atop a mountain. Our views are spectacular!
But, the wind is wicked banshee; blowing night and day! I need a wind turbin!
Or, better yet a balloon to sail me away! :)

Don't worry about Binkie! That dog; part dalmatian, part pit pull fears no bear!
But, he should. His fearless nature gets him in trouble all the time!

GRB

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread