Gold, Gold, Possible Gold, Bone and Possible Ivory and All at Work! Gold Stolen!

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Working in the Burnt out 1810 house today, I found
a loose brick. I pulled it out expecting to find nothing,
But, to my surprise, there was a cool looking iron key.
Well, that got me going. I started looking everywhere for
any kind of hiding places.
Then I saw one board on the old floor that was shorter than
the rest and worn on one edge. I took my flat bar, slid it
in the crack and VOALA!!! Inside was an old Polident Tablet
bottle. Picking it up it rattled. Treasure inside??? I opened
it and found two crochet needles. One is definitely bone, but
the other one is denser, shinier, and looks to be hand carved...
.......Ivory? I don't know, but I think so.
After checking out the needles, I took my attention back to the
"Secret Compartment" in the floor. With my face literally IN the
hole, I saw the color of Gold. Pulling the object out, I was
certain it was brass, but my partner is convinced it is gold.
It took awhile to get the object open, but when we did, We
were surprised to find lipstick in it. It was dried out and not
much of it, but it's there.
If any of you know anything about Ivory, Or the brass/gold
lipstick container marked only "Pompeian", Please let me know.
Now that was enough for the day........NOT!!! At lunch, I took
out my detector to check out my new 5" coil in the trashy yard,
and the first hit was a pulltab, but I was feeling lucky, so I
kicked the dirt aside and found a 20" gold chain marked 14k
ITALY!!! I then got three pennies and gold crushed hoop earring.
Needless to say, I had a great day!!!
Enjoy the photos.

IMG_1477.jpg

IMG_1475.jpg

IMG_1472.jpg

IMG_1487.jpg

Upvote 2

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Gold, Gold, Possible Gold, Bone and Possible Ivory and All at Work! Gold Sto

Well done on your finds - some real nice items. I have four thieves at my house - all the good stuff quickly disappears between my wife and three daughters - have they no shame ::)

Pepper2004

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2007
Southwest Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT, Whites M6, Vibra-Probe 570, Ace 250, Bounty Hunter 202, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505, Whites MXT, 2 Bullseye11
Wow! That is what I call not only a good hunt but a fun one too! Your "thief" looks good in your gold...lol....got to love them! Hope the key leads you to more gold. Don't forget to update us with your basement finds!!

HH,
Pepper

OP
OP
tymcmurray

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
TEXAN Connection said:
That is to cool i'v only found marbels when house hunting

Thanks TC, I do love the old marbles too!
I have a bit of a collection going without trying.

rwsnc

Jun 30, 2007
Raleigh, NC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 705, Minelab Xterra 70, Compass Relic Magnum 7a, Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett AT Pro (Sold)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Re: Gold, Gold, Possible Gold, Bone and Possible Ivory and All at Work! Gold Sto

Nice little adventure and some great finds. I'd search that place high and low for the box that the key fits. :thumbsup:

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice group of relics Ty, nice gold too :thumbsup:

The photo of your thief looks like a magazine ad.

HH,
Nat

loby

Oct 13, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hiiiiiiiiiiiii,

The first Europeans to arrive at the coast were the Portuguese in 1471. They encountered a variety of African kingdoms, some of which controlled substantial deposits of gold in the soil. In 1482, the Portuguese built the Castle of Elmina, the first European settlement on the Gold Coast. From here they traded slaves, gold, knives, beads, mirrors, rum and guns. News of the successful trading spread quickly, and eventually British, Dutch, Danish, Prussian and Swedish traders arrived as well. The European traders built several forts along the coastline. The Gold Coast had long been a name for the region used by Europeans because of the large gold resources found in the area. The slave trade was the principal exchange for many years.
The British Gold Coast was formed in 1867 when the British government abolished the African Company of Merchants and seized privately held lands along the coast. They also took over the remaining interests of other European countries, annexing the Danish Gold Coast in 1850 and the Dutch Gold Coast, including Fort Elmina, in 1872. Britain steadily expanded its colony through the invasion of local kingdoms as well, particularly the Ashanti and Fante confederacies. The Ashanti people had controlled much of the territory of Ghana before the Europeans arrived and were often in conflict with them. They are the largest ethnic community in Ghana. Four wars, the Anglo-Ashanti Wars, were fought between the Ashanti (Asante) and the British, who were sometimes allied with the Fante.
During the First Anglo-Ashanti War (1863–1864), the two groups fought because of a disagreement over an Ashanti chief and slavery. Tensions increased in 1874 during the Second Ashanti War (1873–1874) when the British sacked the Ashanti capital of Kumasi. The Third Ashanti War (1893–1894) occurred because the new Ashanti ruler Asantehene wanted to exercise his new title. From 1895–1896 the British and Ashanti fought in the Fourth and final Ashanti War, where the Ashanti fought for and lost their independence. In 1900 the Ashanti Uprising took place, resulting in the British capture of the city of Kumasi and capture of the Golden Stool, the Asentehene's throne. At the end of this last Ashanti War, the Ashanti people became a British protectorate on 1 January 1902.
By 1901, all of the Gold Coast was a British colony, with its kingdoms and tribes considered a single unit. The British exported a variety of natural resources such as gold, metal ores, diamonds, ivory, pepper, timber, grain and cocoa. The British colonists built railways and the complex transport infrastructure which formed the basis for the transport infrastructure in modern-day Ghana. They also built Western-style hospitals and schools to provide modern amenities to the people of the empire.
By 1945, the native population was demanding more autonomy in the wake of the end of the Second World War and the beginnings of the decolonisation process across the world. By 1956, British Togoland, the Ashanti protectorate, and the Fante protectorate were merged with the Gold Coast to create one colony, which became known as the Gold Coast. In 1957 the colony gained independence under the name of Ghana.

hamiddetecting

Gold Member
Feb 22, 2012
North Pole
Detector(s) used
Sovereign GT and Excalibur II, Whites, Garrett, Fisher, Alert, MD,Cscope,Tesoro, Compas, XP, Long Rs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umbertino

Sep 14, 2011
A lipstick identical sold on ebay forÂŁ5-50p, a short time ago, date 1905, sorry not gold and not very rare, you have surely discovered by now the same information, good hunting at the house.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread