Gold in Iowa question on the laws

all_atv

May 26, 2009
SE Iowa
I am wondering about the gold prospecting laws in Iowa. I met a guy in a state park who was filling up buckets of sand that he said he was going to take home for his sluice box, he said it was legal, and we chated a bit about it. He said he did some test panning there already and found some. So I did a little research online and tried panning the creek an my property down in the cracks of bedrock, sure enough there was gold! Tiny pieces, the largest was no bigger than a pin head. I pounded some flat between two hammerheads and got them about the size of a letter on your keyboard, So they would look better in my vial.
Anyway I have been trying to find some laws for prospecting on private property as well as on public, such as state and county parks. I called the Department of Natural Resorces headquarters but they told me they didn't know!? I also emailed a "gold information" contact on the states geologic website. but he didn't know for sure either. but quoted me the law on removing natural materials from parks, which I already knew that you can't. But there is a limitation and special restrictions exception at the bottom of the written law...
I'm thinking there is a way that lets you go for gold on public lands? Isnt that the way the states with huge national parks do it? I think you can even stake a claim for gold on public lands.
I am just wanting this to be another one of my "hobbies" not expecting to make any money, but want to know the laws. It seems somewhere i heard or read about the .government wants to get that gold out of the ground and into circulation basically to increase the dollar value. Which is why you can claim on gov. lands.

Thanks for any info.
Oh and the guy I met said he goes all over and does prospecting, and that day he took out 10 five gallon buckets of sifted sand, and he was right in a parking lot by the road and creek doing it.

These are some flakes before I hammered them out, They sure do shine even in the shade in my poor lighting!

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 443
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread