Gold in the coin counter!

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
I went to my bank today and traded in some quarters I had been searching. One of the employees came up to me and said he had noticed me in there several times yesterday and found out I was buying the quarters. He then tells me he has hunted ALL of them for silver but he isn't sure what I'm looking for. I at least am thankful he let me know before I bought anymore of them. He said he was only interested in silver quarters and not dimes, nickels, or cents. I can believe him there because I have found my share of it from that bank. OH well...I guess you can't have 'em all.

I picked up a few CWR of pennies, nickels, and dimes that were just dropped off and headed on my way to my dump bank. Wouldn't you know it. 10 minutes before they are closing, I jam the machine up big time. I guess if you have to jam it, that close to closing time is a great time because in no time I had 3 employees trying to fix the problem. After opening the machine I could see my halves and other change loaded in the hopper. Since they were unsure if they could get it fixed, they were scraping out the loose coins and handing back to me to put in my pail. I reached down to check the reject slot and there it was...gold!

Well...gold filled! The back of the small St. Christopher medal is marked 1/20 14k gold filled. Not a great find but worth more than a silver dime in today's melt. $3.27 worth of pure gold. WOW! :dontknow: Shame it wasn't solid 14k because it would have been worth close to $80 if it was.

I opened all of my rolls that I got when I got home - not much, just $56 worth. I found 2 wheaties in the pennies, nothing in the dimes, and I think I scored pretty good in the nickels. I found my second "V" nickel ever...dated 1901. I also found a really cool 1940 10 reichspfennig Nazi coin.

Hope everyone else has a great CRH'ing day! :headbang:

Attachments

• Gold St Christopher.jpg
    Gold St Christopher.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 503
  • Nickel roll goodies.jpg
    Nickel roll goodies.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 498
Upvote 0

usandthem

May 19, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a St. Christopher medal in sterling that I found. It's in the pile with the rest of my junk silver.

OP
OP
Goldmanford

Goldmanford

Aug 1, 2011
North Carolina
usandthem said:
I have a St. Christopher medal in sterling that I found. It's in the pile with the rest of my junk silver.

I have bought several at yard sales before in Sterling but this was pretty cool to be laying in the bin with my reject coins. There was paperclips, a marble, and lots of pocket lint and hair. I guess some folks just dump their pockets in a jar and then dump the jar. No wonder the machine jammed on me yesterday.

Too bad it's not solid and only gold filled. :-\

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread