Gold Is Where You Find It

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
Apparently silver also...Found the four silver dimes going through coin rolls from the bank...I try to go through $300 per day. Dimes seem to slip by people noticing them. The 1964-D is in beautiful shape for being in circulation. Probably stolen but at least it has a good home now!The Ca gold coin I found (four of them) going through my safe to enter all my coins into a new software data base...Pleasant surprise! I barely recall buying them. The wheat is only my second. Came from a sand box in a park along with $1.30 in clad that will go to my next purchase at the local coin shop. Should have some better finds to share as I'm getting the hang of the new MXT plus my hole plugger came and I can "graduate from the sand/chip boxes....

p.s. sorry for the crappy scans...Too lazy to re-do...

Attachments

• CA Gold Front.jpg
    CA Gold Front.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 688
  • CA Gold Back.jpg
    CA Gold Back.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 690
  • Wheat & Dimes Front.jpg
    Wheat & Dimes Front.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 718
  • Wheat & Dimes Back.jpg
    Wheat & Dimes Back.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 704
Upvote 0

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good stuff!

HH

Lonewolfe

rjnail

Nov 25, 2005
Detector(s) used
Excalibur,
guess its time i started hunting the banks, might do better there,,,

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your finds!

;)

OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
I have high hopes with the new detector but the bank has been the only source for silver finds for me so far. I seem to have better luck getting the rolls from a bank in a poorer area. I think people might not realize what they have...We also have quite a few non-English speaking people who might not be familiar with our money. It's a fun way to pass an hour and the jolt you get from finding a good coin is almost as good as a detector find....

Snee

Bronze Member
Oct 24, 2005
Salem, Missouri
Those gold pieces are worth about $52 on the current market each! Nice job on the dime finds! I really need to get rolls of coins from the banks and search them. It sounds like fun.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
killerwine said:
Apparently silver also...Found the four silver dimes going through coin rolls from the bank...I try to go through $300 per day. Dimes seem to slip by people noticing them. The 1964-D is in beautiful shape for being in circulation. Probably stolen but at least it has a good home now!The Ca gold coin I found (four of them) going through my safe to enter all my coins into a new software data base...Pleasant surprise! I barely recall buying them. The wheat is only my second. Came from a sand box in a park along with $1.30 in clad that will go to my next purchase at the local coin shop. Should have some better finds to share as I'm getting the hang of the new MXT plus my hole plugger came and I can "graduate from the sand/chip boxes....

p.s. sorry for the crappy scans...Too lazy to re-do...

You actually go through $300 in change per day? Wow, they must think you are crazier than I am! I usually go through a few hundred per week and at first got the wierdest looks fromt he tellers. Now they expect my visits, haha.

OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
I told them my kid was doing it so they wouldn't think I'm a lunatic, which I guess, I am....I open the roll and look only at the edge...this way I can search a whole roll in 3 stacks. They then go right back into the tube. Try Bank of America...They package their coins in clear plastic...really speeds things up!

G

Guthers

Killerwine, as if my fiance didn't think I was already bonkers enough for metal detecting obsession... now you've got me interested in farming coins from the bank! ;D

OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
It's a good gig...especially for those in snowbound places! I've got no excuse for not getting off my butt here in Ca. and swinging the MXT but it's always nice to find silver...what ever the source! I'm getting all my equipment together to hit the desert for nuggets, which is my real passion...Finding those silver coins in a roll from the bank is close to the feeling of finding a nugget...almost...

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
And if you can find a market for them even the lowly 40% halves are worth about $1.35 at current prices. Silver closed at $8.99 @ oz.

OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
4 more dimes today (out of $300 in dimes from the bank)...dates between 1953 and 1964...didn't even get my hands dirty! I have a system and it only takes about a hour per $300...Not really a living wage but as it's been said about gold "It's not so much the silver (gold) as it is finding the silver (gold)!" A lot of people who aren't involved in our hobby of detecting don't understand. I tell them it's like fishing...I'm not doing it to get the fish. I'm doing it to catch the fish....clear as mud? HH

R

rvbvetter

? ? Even though I've always known about the silver floating around out there, it amazes me that after all these years it still is.
? That desert hunting for nuggets in calif. and ariz. sounds like fun, and ?is something I've always been meaning to try. ? ? ? ?WTG on the gold and silver !!! ? ? HH ? ? ? ?

OP
OP
killerwine

killerwine

Feb 24, 2005
Visalia, CA
Gold prospecting is a blast! Hard work...but when the sunlight hits the gold and it's glowing up at you...it's the best. Would love to find a gold coin but I do find gold EVERY time I go prospecting! Sometimes more than others...If you are anywhere in Ca. your not too far from a good place to prospect...

Smithsgold

Oct 18, 2005
Northern California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites and Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well now the wife's really going to think I'm nuts!!!
Can't wait to see what I get....

Jeff

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread