flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well looks like I just started a foil cleanup non profit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I guess that is why beep and dig detectors are still king in the gold arena. No numbers to look at.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess that is why beep and dig detectors are still king in the gold arena. No numbers to look at.

Machines like the CZ-21 don't pick up small foil but do pick up small earrings, etc. I've tried using 50 tone to identify foil but it sounds just as solid as a good target most of the time.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Me too... I have been disc below 7 because it's been all trash. My wife's rings also came up at 4 and 6.

Yep this video got my head hurtin. I’ve been on the Max, F75 program for the longest. Gotta change my way of thinking.

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 10k ring I got the other week was 74-75. That's 10 to 12 higher than pull tab on my at max

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is strange

Ill see what it is on my 600 in the am. I think it was ringing up 18 or 19. Which is about right. Pull tabs were coming in at 15 and 16.

Peter67

Oct 9, 2016
Belgium
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2
Xp Deus
Minelab Equinox 600
Nokta Makro Legend
Nokta Makro Multikruzer
Tesoro Lobo Super Traq,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That's why i first use my Tesoro Lobo Super Traq on new places before i got my Equinox or Deus out.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
087.JPG
last week at the ocean I dug it all.Every piece is one stinking hole. That little thin wire@ 5 oclock was over a foot down :BangHead:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
people forget that as the karat number drops, the alloy material used to make it increases. whatever alloy used can change the reading and then size, shape etc. if you are after gold, the number range is bigger than you realize. dig every repeatable signal and you know...yep, you may be digging a lot of trash. I try to dig by tone anyways but sometimes I have to look just because I am curious.

digger27

Bronze Member
May 18, 2011
Some surprising things in this vid, that first 10k class ring coming in at nickel was one of them for me.
I have found 5 gold class rings from smaller to huge and all of them came in solid at low zinc...48-52 on Fisher detectors including one that looked to be about the size of the one he showed.
I wonder if using another mode would change his number?

It boggles my mind that people still believe and spread the misinformation that gold comes in mostly or only at nickels or tabs.
No way that is true and as you can see on that gold chain he passed over the coil even iron is in play.
He did not show or mention if any of those were white gold.
I learned my lesson long ago about that stuff when I dug this channel wedding ring on the left that was white gold, heavier and at least two sizes bigger than the similar yellow gold one I also found on the right...and both were 10k.
White gold can come in from low to higher depending on which white metal alloy the jeweler mixes the yellow gold with to get that white color.
In this case this fairly large men's wedding ring was low.

photostudio_1526125692951.jpg

You know what else comes in around the 21- 24 number on Fishers and at the same area on my Tesoros and I assume all other detectors...these things.

photostudio_1526125540456.jpg

I found that white gold ring next to a very old and super trashy basketball court, the one area where I always did and still dig most signals because of the extreme trash and masking problems around these courts and the extra high percentage of jewelry possible.
I must have dug about a dozen actual foil seals on that hunt before this signal popped up.
I bent over to dig another one just to get it out of the way, or so I thought at the time.
Couldn't have been more wrong and I was pretty shocked when that ring with ice popped up instead.

I use very little disc when hunting nowadays but even if I do about as high as I ever go is that 20-21 freshness seal foil area on anything I swing because of the lesson I learned on that white gold ring.
If you want to consider yourself a true gold hunter you are insane to use any more disc than that or believe that gold won't come in that low because it does...often.
It has for me, anyway.
Other gold could easily come in below those numbers too, broken rings, smaller pieces, but in a very trashy public site you have to draw the line somewhere or at least I do because digging tons of trash isn't my thing anymore.
Still like to find gold, though, so that freshness seal area on disc is pretty much my line in the sand when jewelry hunting.

The real range for looking for gold is pretty much...everything.
From iron on tiny pieces and chains up to about the quarter to half dollar area for large, pure jewelry pieces or the bigger gold coins.
If anyone has given up on a spots that only hunted them with disc a little below nickel or up and thinks there couldn't possibly be any precious metals hiding there please tell me where these sites are and I will be eternally grateful.
I don't seem to have gathered enough gold in my career quite yet.

Last edited:

adamBomb

May 30, 2014
Wilmington NC
Detector(s) used
Nox 700;
Past: Nox 600; CTX; CZ21; Excal II; White's DF;
920i Stealth Scoop
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

Yep. The numbers give me some information but are not 100% accurate. As long as it can tell iron from non iron on the beach its a winner. On my nox, I have had pennies, gold, and bottle caps all ring up the same # in air tests.

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ya know fella's, I do not think a lot has changed with any detector, not really, in that it is STILL a judgement call, to dig or not. Pull tabs, gold rings, nickels can be all over the map, be it shape, size, angle, depth.....still up to the operator. I for one cannot dig IT ALL, legs just won't take it anymore. Air test can be helpful, but not of course the final answer. Lots of great machines out there, and a lot of good people using them. What I tell people now is simple. 25% machine, 25% operator, and 50% luck.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya know fella's, I do not think a lot has changed with any detector, not really, in that it is STILL a judgement call, to dig or not. Pull tabs, gold rings, nickels can be all over the map, be it shape, size, angle, depth.....still up to the operator. I for one cannot dig IT ALL, legs just won't take it anymore. Air test can be helpful, but not of course the final answer. Lots of great machines out there, and a lot of good people using them. What I tell people now is simple. 25% machine, 25% operator, and 50% luck.

You’re absolutely right I tried today for 5
hours and this dirt’s too hard to do all that I did. Never again I tip my hat to those Park gold diggers. I’m gonna stick with the luck.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep. The numbers give me some information but are not 100% accurate. As long as it can tell iron from non iron on the beach its a winner. On my nox, I have had pennies, gold, and bottle caps all ring up the same # in air tests.

It’s impossible to dig all those numbers 1,2,7,8,11.... I tried today NEVER AGAIN.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread