Gold Metal Detector, which is best and easy to use?

VO3434

Nov 24, 2009
Woodland Hills, Ca.
Detector(s) used
Dfx, Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking for a good gold detector that is easy to use. I have a Goldbug but it seems to frustrate me; I am a novice, so that is easy to do. Lol. I have looked high and low. I was looking at the GPX5000 from Minelab, there were a few for sale on Ebay in the $3000-4000 range, but after reading articles on how the are fakes and copies from China, I was discouraged. How do you tell the real from the fake?
What is a good gold detector that I can get that is ,how should I put it.....idiot proof?

Upvote 0

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I don't know which GB you have, but are you having trouble ground balancing? Maybe your GB is out of tune and needs to be sent back to the factory for maintenance. The new GB has a one button "ground grab", and Whites has the GMZ that is pretty foolproof.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been looking for a good gold detector that is easy to use. I have a Goldbug but it seems to frustrate me; I am a novice, so that is easy to do. Lol. I have looked high and low. I was looking at the GPX5000 from Minelab, there were a few for sale on Ebay in the $3000-4000 range, but after reading articles on how the are fakes and copies from China, I was discouraged. How do you tell the real from the fake?
What is a good gold detector that I can get that is ,how should I put it.....idiot proof?

If you want the easiest to use real gold nugget hunter, you want a Tesoro Lobo Super Traq. Tesoro Metal Detectors - Official company web site with metal detector models for treasure hunting land or water.
Automatic ground balancing and ground tracking to keep it balanced. We use them at our gold
prospecting school in Arizona. The Minelab GPX 5000, is the pinnacle of gold nugget hunting
technology. We teach the machine and it is NOT for a beginner. The only way to make sure you
are not buying a FAKE or RECONDITIONED Minelab, is to purchase it through a certified dealer,
which I strongly suggest you do.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a GB2 and a GMT. I did a short video on how to ground balance both. Pretty simple. Manual ground balance is easy and the auto balance of the GMT is ... how did you put it?.... idiot proof? Terry S knows his Super trac. But the most sage advice is as Terry says, CERTIFIED DEALER. Anything on e-bay comes with AS IS. "As is" can bite you! You ultimately must make your own choice, Grasshopper. TTC

nuggetshooter323

Jul 22, 2005
Colorado Springs
Detector(s) used
The Legend, Anfibio Equinox 900, Gold Kruzer, XP Deus, ORX, Tesoro Tejon, Whites GMT, Falcon MD20, XP MI-6, Fisher F-Pulse, Pulse Dive, Vibra Probe, UniProbe.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Of course I have to agree about the Lobo Super Traq and the GMT, but one thing that really sets the LST and Tesoro apart from the competition is the coil selection. Tesoro has a coil selection that is not rivaled by any other company. They pretty much have a coil for any kind of condition, and with the LST you have nine coils to choose from.

Last edited:

woof!

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2010
ciudadano del universo, residente de El Paso TX
Detector(s) used
BS detector
Primary Interest:
Other
The new Fisher Gold Bug and Teknetics G2 are versatile and easy to use. However gold prospecting is not an easy kind of detecting. It takes a lot of digging trash, learning how to deal with hot rocks, and a lot of patience. And none of that will do you any good unless you're searching where there's gold-- if there's no gold to be had, no amount of equipment expenditure or skill can make up for it.

I recommend that anyone new to gold prospecting read my book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector", available as a .pdf file on both the Fisher and Teknetics websites. Some dealers stock print copies.

--Dave J.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The new Fisher Gold Bug and Teknetics G2 are versatile and easy to use. However gold prospecting is not an easy kind of detecting. It takes a lot of digging trash, learning how to deal with hot rocks, and a lot of patience. And none of that will do you any good unless you're searching where there's gold-- if there's no gold to be had, no amount of equipment expenditure or skill can make up for it.

I recommend that anyone new to gold prospecting read my book "Gold Prospecting with a VLF Metal Detector", available as a .pdf file on both the Fisher and Teknetics websites. Some dealers stock print copies.

--Dave J.
I started reading your book, Dave. I will now pay more ATTENTION to your posts! I owned an F4 awhile back. Didn't like it. Was going to buy an F75 a few years back... when they first came out. The Waukesha, WI dealer tried to demonstrate it within 50 yards of high-power lines. I did not buy it. BUT I have owned a Fisher Impulse 8 for many years. It has paid for itself several times over on the NC and FL beaches. South Beach (Miami) FL is especially good! I have also found my first nugget in the Stanton, AZ area recently, using a Gold Bug 2. I am VERY impressed with the GB2. Now, back to your book... please excuse me. Tnx. TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions