Bodfish Mike

Dec 12, 2014
Bodfish and Marin county CA
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Whites
keene puffer drywasher , Keene A51 Sluice
Primary Interest:
Other
Just got my CA Drivers License in the mail.
Was surprised to see a gold miner use in the background graphics.
This state was built on mining what the hell went wrong.
Mike
miner.jpg

Upvote 0

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, Gold Bug 2 Burlap, fish oil, .35 gallons of water per minute.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we should just lock them in a room together and be done with it

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This issue of fish getting sucked up in dredges was a major issue when they decided to ban dredging. Complete bunk!

Now there is the issue of mercury. Again the “test” involved sucking mercury up in the intake of the pump...running it through a blender and breaking it up into micro globs of mercury which is supposed to exit the sluice box.....well the mercury never enters the pump!!! The specific gravity of lead is 11.3, mercury is 13.6, gold is 19. Water is 1.0

Pretty easy to trap, even more so than gold due to it being fluid and the fact that it envelopes the gold.

Lead and mercury is actually naturally occurring.

Any mercury studies in California before during and after dredging??
Hold your breath..wait...wait.

Ok we don’t have funding for that. Just trust us, your better off.

So we've come full circle to "if the science supports it" and it appears it doesn't. I didn't even have to change my stance on it. Thank you for your patience in helping me along a path of discovery.

Eh whats the point? the guy's a trolling. I grew up in the bay area so don't blame the area, the place is full of people that are not from there that think they have everything figured out for everyone else.

Am I? Have any examples of my trolling?
"the place is full of..." please cite your sources.

Berzerculitus

That's one I haven't heard before! :icon_thumright:

its pointless to argue with him he has no idea what hes talking about and hes not a dredger...just let him go through his life cycle

It's never been an argument, get that out of your head(s). From the beginning I've been asking for help.

Try some fish oil and burlap next time you visit Alcatraz

Will that give me superpowers?

And screw Biafra

He would be the first person to do what he could to stop dredging..he hates people like us.

Very overrated punk pand

Hey, be nice, don't hurt punk guy's feelings.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the California dredge moratorium is a touchy subject because, motorized mining along and in rivers including mining claims
that have been passed down for generations was stopped, and now 10 years later men that were young
are now ether out of shape or have even died waiting to get back in the water.
California is out to make mining claims worthless, that's whats really going on.
even in Idaho a Biologic Opinion from NOAA/NMFS has allowed mining that was closed by the EPA dredge permit.
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd533917.pdf

Why, because its not a major stressor for the salmon,
take a look at the 2015 Rogue-Siskiyou Biologic opinion for Southern Oregon,
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd496876.pdf
29 watersheds and 391 NOI’s were evaluated in the Rogue-Siskiyou National forest
The limits of a 4” or less dredge and less than 25CY the effects in each of the watersheds
based on the total amount of disturbance would be just 433 feet of linear stream affected.
Because mining would affect less than 2% there would be 98% of the habitat unaffected.

"The conclusion from the NMFS “the actions are not likely to jeopardize the continued
existence of coho salmon or result in destruction or adverse modification of their
designated critical habitats or slow conservation efforts.”

In-stream Gravel mining is the mining that was identified at the time of listing for the coho salmon (62 FR 24588), NMFS (2014)
did not identify gold mining as a key limiting threat for any of the SONCC Coho salmon populations in southern Oregon;
nor are gold mining activities considered to be key limiting threats, (i.e., agriculture, channelization/diking, dams/diversions,
road, timber harvest, or urban/residential/industrial development). Additionally. Mining was only one of 11 activities identified;
effects from gold mining are related to some of the limiting stresses of the ESU populations.
By following conservation measures and permit BMP’s effects are temporary, most effects will occur only
during the summer mining season these effects are only temporary, forage communities will recover,
spawning gravels will be available and habitat will persist on an annual to biennial basis; therefore, gold mining
will not perpetuate or contribute to the intense and severe long-term effects of mining that resulted in identification of mining
as one of activities responsible for decline of Coho salmon at the time of listing.

Last edited:

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mean, I get it, but those texts don't support a free for all: they have work windows/locations, spawn/rearing windows/locations and closures, distance limits, procedure for cleaning up tailings and filling holes left by dredging, permits, etc.

The "actions are not likely to jeopardize..." because the "actions" have limits and regulations.

And cmon...

"Code of Federal Regulations state that an operator must submit a POO"
"Camping and dredging for any amount of time requires a POO"

POO... :hello2:

Last edited:

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
43 CFR § 3809.2(b) also see § 3809.10
Suction dredges.
(1) If your operations involve the use of a suction dredge, the State requires an authorization for its use,
and BLM and the State have an agreement under § 3809.200 addressing suction dredging, then you need not submit
to BLM a notice or plan of operations, unless otherwise provided in the agreement between BLM and the State.
The Forest Service has no such requirement unless its in ESA critical habitat and can be waved if there is an existing EIS

for the most part, using existing roads, suction dredging, pick & shovel Op's, and long term camping. no NOI or PoO needed
use some due diligence like checking the RMP planning for that area, they are now doing watershed wide mining EIS & ROD
example; (N.F.), North Fork Burnt River Mining FEIS 2014 (see appendix 5 for activity exempted, not cause significant disturbance)

we have a word for people that read a few paragraphs or read into enviro propaganda & form an opinion just from that.
Sheeple...

Last edited:

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are all your cites mixed up? I noticed it last time, but powered through, and you're doing it again this time. I can't figure out what your point is, and I'm not going to try to decode your word salad.

While miners have rights under the Mining Law of 1872, they are legally required to comply with any applicable laws passed since 1872 that have placed additional requirements upon miners.

Last edited:

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a word salad that explains all of it. Pacification .
It's always the key word when people lose rights and the same across the ussa.

This will still be a topic ten years from now and ten years from then.

Last edited:

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point is that there is ample evidence in numerous studies that dredging does not do any measurable harm

Therefore all the reasons for the ban (that you said you support) is a bunch of crap

The people at the Sierra fund actually made income off of the new bills creation and off of the Combie project and they even state that any gold recovered gives them revenue.

You made several statements right away that show you knew nothing about the thing you were willing to have taken from others because

"I'm a fisherman"

you made a positive comment about there being no more noise from dredges...again showing you actually have something against it superficially...because of the noise ...again a stupid reason to be against dredging.

You do the usual thing that people who just joined and get into this very old conversation do.

Get dumb about semantics.

Is the state of California destroying peoples cabins or old historic cabins on claims?? You jumped on that to show how smart you are,

Than say you have read that FS and BLM has done it...Well, when it happens in Ca. they aren't stopping it..

So uh yea California has burned down cabins.

The rivers in the foothills and up into the mountains are in great shape its not until you get down to where you Babylonians are that there are real issues.

Yet the Babylonians sure like to tell us what we need to do where we live so it remains for your weekends.

So, you have somewhere to go to get away from the place where people live in tarps ,shoot up drugs in the open and literally poop on sidewalks.

some dude that has panned the Bear and Rocks an ace 350 is the last person that should be telling people who were dredging for a living when the ban went into affect NINE plus years ago about regulations, seasons, redds ,fry etc.

You do not know what your talking about and you most certainly are not here to learn or you would actually listen instead of dodging and finding another way to keep it going and trying to minimize the very info you have been given and claim to want.

For sure don't come here and claim you don't know ..want to know and then make snarky insults when you get the info.

Like I said guys they come and go...

From burlap to big bulldozers......one leaves and conveniently a few days later another joins..

pretty interesting coincidence

Last edited:

Aufisher

Bronze Member
May 12, 2013
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
Whites Goldmaster V/SAT. VibraProbe. Bazooka 48" Prospector Sluice. Shorts. Chickens + Goats + Goldhounds. 35' Chris Craft Caribbean motorsailer. FISH OIL + BURLAP
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Your pathetic fratricidal crap spewing reminds me of other antagonistic members that have come and gone as well

Johnnybravo300

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2016
South of Gunnison, Gold Basin
Detector(s) used
F2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I had considered a dredge highbanker combo last summer but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I never considered that it would hurt the stream because everything I read said that it wouldn't.

I don't see where the laws are correlated with science. I think the emotional response to fish being ripped in half is enough.

You may not mean to hurt the stream bed intentionally but they want to be extra safe. One saved fish is worth it.

winners58

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2013
Oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why are all your cites mixed up? I noticed it last time, but powered through, and you're doing it again this time. I can't figure out what your point is, and I'm not going to try to decode your word salad.

I'm not tiring to make an argument only providing information, if a person is interested in the subject
I would encourage them to learn all they can, it's part of being a responsible miner, educate yourself and prosper.

what is a suction dredge, fact sheet 2012

Yes, Yes, I have Asperger syndrome are you making fun of my disability, ???

Last edited:

FingerChili

Feb 17, 2018
SF Bay Area, California
Detector(s) used
Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a word salad that explains all of it. Pacification .
It's always the key word when people lose rights and the same across the ussa.

This will still be a topic ten years from now and ten years from then.

Same reason we lost hi cap mags here in Colorado and magpul had to move away.
It's always our most valued rights they go after first.

What will we do for fun when everything has been legislated away?

The point is that there is ample evidence in numerous studies that dredging does not do any measurable harm

Therefore all the reasons for the ban (that you said you support) is a bunch of crap

From the texts you cited, they said there's likely to be little harm when following the regulation. They didn't say dredging "does not do any measurable harm"

The people at the Sierra fund actually made income off of the new bills creation and off of the Combie project and they even state that any gold recovered gives them revenue.

Didn't I also say I didn't vote for, or support the Sierra fund?

You made several statements right away that show you knew nothing about the thing you were willing to have taken from others because

"I'm a fisherman"
What did I say?

you made a positive comment about there being no more noise from dredges...again showing you actually have something against it superficially...because of the noise ...again a stupid reason to be against dredging.

Yeah, in jest. Can a person not joke around? But yes, when I go to the forest to navel gaze I don't want to hear BRABRABRABBARBARBARBARBARBARBARBARBABARBARBAR for hours on end.

You do the usual thing that people who just joined and get into this very old conversation do.

Get dumb about semantics.

Semantics is the very basis of the laws. We can not have a conversation about the laws if we don't recognize the meanings of words.

Is the state of California destroying peoples cabins or old historic cabins on claims?? You jumped on that to show how smart you are,

Than say you have read that FS and BLM has done it...Well, when it happens in Ca. they aren't stopping it..

So uh yea California has burned down cabins.

I asked for proof of a claim made that california is burning down mining cabins and stealing property. In the very same breath they also said california was lying. But I still haven't seen proof that the california is burning down mining cabins and stealing property. If california has at least been found complicit in those actions, I'll concede that point.

So one of the very first few responses to me was a lie and you twist faulty logic to backup that lie.

The rivers in the foothills and up into the mountains are in great shape its not until you get down to where you Babylonians are that there are real issues.

Yet the Babylonians sure like to tell us what we need to do where we live so it remains for your weekends.

So, you have somewhere to go to get away from the place where people live in tarps ,shoot up drugs in the open and literally poop on sidewalks.

"Babylonians" yeah cool, name calling, There's been pages of name calling from you guys.
Do the mountains not have any of those problems?

some dude that has panned the Bear and Rocks an ace 350 is the last person that should be telling people who were dredging for a living when the ban went into affect NINE plus years ago about regulations, seasons, redds ,fry etc.

You do not know what your talking about and you most certainly are not here to learn or you would actually listen instead of dodging and finding another way to keep it going and trying to minimize the very info you have been given and claim to want.

I did come here to learn, I'm asking questions and getting some great responses, but some of you can't help but play petty identity politics.

For sure don't come here and claim you don't know ..want to know and then make snarky insults when you get the info.

I ask for help and have been subjected to lies, name calling, "othering" and general hostility. I brush it off, play along, ask for more help, and learn, despite all your toxicity and somehow I'm the bad guy? That's a bad joke.

Like I said guys they come and go...

If we come and go so often then it seems you should have an easy to read FAQ that you could point everyone to that would succinctly make your case and turn them into allies. You can't even handle that.

From burlap to big bulldozers......one leaves and conveniently a few days later another joins..

pretty interesting coincidence

I don't understand the reference, can you expand on that a little more?

Your pathetic fratricidal crap spewing reminds me of other antagonistic members that have come and gone as well

And yet no one can seem to deal with it very well. It's all name calling and identity politics.

I had considered a dredge highbanker combo last summer but haven't pulled the trigger yet. I never considered that it would hurt the stream because everything I read said that it wouldn't.

I don't see where the laws are correlated with science. I think the emotional response to fish being ripped in half is enough.

You may not mean to hurt the stream bed intentionally but they want to be extra safe. One saved fish is worth it.

Yeah, I'll concede that I was mistaken about how a fish might travel through a dredge. I felt silly because I've seen the diagrams, I know how they work, but I had a mental slip and totally boned that point. Some of the lighter regulations seem perfectly fine, and I disagree with the outright and seemingly endless ban as it is. In fact I've always stated that the ban is acceptable if it can be backed by science which I'm coming to realize isn't the case. A few light regulations as to location and time of year are hardly arduous.

One fish saved for every day or dredging for every person dredging could add up.

I'm not tiring to make an argument only providing information, if a person is interested in the subject
I would encourage them to learn all they can, it's part of being a responsible miner, educate yourself and prosper.

what is a suction dredge, fact sheet 2012

Yes, Yes, I have Asperger syndrome are you making fun of my disability, ???

Sorry, I took your highlighted text as an argument, since it seems most people here see me as an enemy and need to "prove me wrong" and chase me off. I didn't understand the points of the highlighted text fully, since they seemed fragmented and even counter what I was assuming was your argument.

Would you feel comfortable with the right people making light of your disability? Perhaps one day I might be so lucky to be in your good graces to comfortably make light of your disability.

I'd like to add that the PDF you linked was the perfect response to any questions I might have had, if only it was 9 pages ago.

Last edited:

Asmbandits

Bronze Member
Mar 4, 2014
NorCal
Detector(s) used
Fisher GB2, Bazooka Prospector 36", EZ sluice, Blue Bowl..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finger, Why argue with a bunch of wrong, silly, name calling, pro dredging folks on a gold mining/prospecting forum? What are you getting out of this?

mytimetoshine

Bronze Member
Jun 23, 2013
El Dorado County
Detector(s) used
GRIZZLY GOLD TRAP - ANGUS MACKIRK EXPLORER- BLUE BOWL - GOLD CUBE, MINELAB PRO 25 PINPOINTER-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
He came here for "help".. my ass, he came here to find out if people are dredging and to antagonize.

Reed Lukens

Silver Member
Jan 1, 2013
Congres, AZ/ former California Outlawed Gold Miner
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero, Whites MXT, Vsat, GMT, 5900Di Pro, Minelab GPX 5000, GPXtreme, 2200SD, Excalibur 1000!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... procedure for cleaning up tailings and filling holes left by dredging, permits, etc.

The "actions are not likely to jeopardize..." because the "actions" have limits and regulations.
And cmon...
You're seeing two different types of dredging when referring to cleaning up tailings and filling dredge holes left by dredging because that is only referring to the old bucket line style of dredges commonly used until the 1960's for gold mining and also for port cleaning and maintaining today. Two very different types of dredging.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3dBEDEJAphs

Goldwasher

Gold Member
May 26, 2009
Sailor Flat, Ca.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
he's been involved for a whole nine pages in the dredge conversation.

we've been at it for 9 years because they put a b.s. moratorium in place because of politics not science.

And for some reason we are supposed to educate him so he can "help" us a and be an advocate to all those people he meets.

You know cause the Bay area is just chock full of logical people who care what people who live hours away do for a living.

My favorite part of the whole thread is when he actually called himself a miner :laughing7:

I had to look up Polymath... I didn't realize that hipsters had given themselves a sub label when they are extra full of it.

delnorter

Oct 28, 2008
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Polymath. I had to look this up as well GW. What an impressive list of talented people. I think I could have been one...., but life got in the way I guess. I'm still learning though so I think there's still hope.

Mike

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread