Oakview2

Silver Member
Feb 4, 2012
Prather CA
Detector(s) used
Whites GMT
Primary Interest:
Other
It would be helpful if folks at least new what state you are in8-) A good spot would be to go where gold has been found previously..... The old timers did not get it all.....

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oakview2 has a point. Can you further define your question? Are you really asking "Where to find gold placers"? Gold ores are many. They are usually above the water in the form of outcrops, dykes, and veins. As these erode, the gold is released downhill, possibly into water. As Oak said, go to where it has been found before. Always the best advice for new prospectors. Here are pics of my latest addition to my growing library...

Gold.jpg Gold2.jpg TTC

OP
OP
I

Istang

Oct 28, 2012
Cohutta Ga
Detector(s) used
G2, Alpha 2000(5 inch coil)
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
TerryC : u answered my question very good... I wasn't wanting to know where to go find them... I was just asking where they are usually found....thanks

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Fullpan

Bronze Member
May 6, 2012
nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oakview2

After reading "Tertiary Gravels" you will have a vast improvement in understanding where the gold comes from in the Northern Mother Lode. - Fascinating
read!

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a question: can gold ore with free gold in it be detected with a metal detector? For example, if you were looking for a seam or fissure of gold ore, and the ore had particles of free gold in its matrix, would that ore be detectable by off the shelf detectors? And to be clear, I am not referring to a telluride ore.

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hmm, maybe no one has ever tried this here. I would think the answer would be yes, assuming the detector in question is able to give a signal over fairly fine gold.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a question: can gold ore with free gold in it be detected with a metal detector? For example, if you were looking for a seam or fissure of gold ore, and the ore had particles of free gold in its matrix, would that ore be detectable by off the shelf detectors? And to be clear, I am not referring to a telluride ore.

Not likely. Micro-gold in gold rich ore will not set off a metal detector. Flakes weighing .03-grams or more will read on several VLF machines like the GMT; Goldbug II; Lobo Super Trac

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, Terry, I was beginning to think I chased everyone off.

So you don't think a pulse induction detector like a minelab or an infinium would detect small particles of gold in an ore matrix? I guess we would need to define just what particle size we are discussing, but I would hope they would. Have you ever detected native ore like this with any kind of detector in the field? If so, please share your experiences.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks, Terry, I was beginning to think I chased everyone off.

So you don't think a pulse induction detector like a minelab or an infinium would detect small particles of gold in an ore matrix? I guess we would need to define just what particle size we are discussing, but I would hope they would. Have you ever detected native ore like this with any kind of detector in the field? If so, please share your experiences.

Nope, even my Minelab GPX 5000 will not detect minute gold in ore. This is very rich ore from the Weaver Mountains. While you may get a hit on the magnatite, you won't hear the gold even though there is probably more than two grams locked up inside this specimen. The machine doesn't see the individual grains because they are too small. The same thing happens with fine gold chains. The detector only see's individual links, not the whole chain, unless it is balled up tight. When folks hit gold chains, the machine usually sees the clasp.

Attachments

• rocks 048.jpg
    rocks 048.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 669
  • rocks A020.jpg
    rocks A020.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 1,488

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I really appreciate your insight and experience on this. I was hoping my infinium would help me locate seems of ore with free gold in it in the San Juans. I already knew tellurides would not give a signal, since the gold is chemically altered in tellurides.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really appreciate your insight and experience on this. I was hoping my infinium would help me locate seems of ore with free gold in it in the San Juans. I already knew tellurides would not give a signal, since the gold is chemically altered in tellurides.

The Infinium is not a good nuggetshooter to begin with. It can find medium nuggets (0.8-grams) up to 4" deep, but will walk over a half-gram picker at the same depth. Even the GPX 4000 used to walk over some smaller pieces with a DD coil, but the GPX 5000 can hear some really small stuff (.2-grams) with the right super fine settings. Many times you can pick up a seam with a detector because of the host rock, just depends.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own a Gold Bug 2. It will (as I have posted before) sound off on a .04 gram of gold buried 2 inches deep. Later today I will have a Falcon MD20. I'll test and report on its ability to sound off on small gold. TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nope, even my Minelab GPX 5000 will not detect minute gold in ore. This is very rich ore from the Weaver Mountains. While you may get a hit on the magnatite, you won't hear the gold even though there is probably more than two grams locked up inside this specimen. The machine doesn't see the individual grains because they are too small. The same thing happens with fine gold chains. The detector only see's individual links, not the whole chain, unless it is balled up tight. When folks hit gold chains, the machine usually sees the clasp.
Nice rock, Terry. Have you checked the specific Gravity to try to determine the possible amount of gold? There is much magnetite/quartz rock NW of Rich Hill, near Mina Rd that will drive you nuts.... unless you know of the magnetite! Take care, my friend. TTC

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is SUB GRAIN, and just posted on another gold forum I belong to. It was found with a Minelab GPX 5000 at 4".

Attachments

• LunksLittleone.jpg
    LunksLittleone.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 175

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice rock, Terry. Have you checked the specific Gravity to try to determine the possible amount of gold? There is much magnetite/quartz rock NW of Rich Hill, near Mina Rd that will drive you nuts.... unless you know of the magnetite! Take care, my friend. TTC

No Terry, not that one, but similar ones. That specimen came off the top of Rich Hill.

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah, the top of Rich Hill..... One day, God. Just ONE DAY on the top of Rich Hill, PLEASE! TTC

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread