🥇 BANNER Gold posey ring found this weekend!!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just got home from a few days of digging. I managed to go across something I never even thought of digging on the final day, which is a colonial posey ring. It was found on a site in Eastern Virginia that is rich in history. I contacted the British museum so hopefully I can get it dated and more information. My brother, Leonard Short, managed to repair any damages on the ring and it looks superb now! So if you want any repairs of stuff, let me know and I'll give you his email. Information on the ring he gave me is it's: 22-24 KT gold, 2.04 grams in weight, 3.3 mm wide and 7.25 ring size. Inside it has the makers mark and the writing says:"This and I untill I dye" I'm hoping the spelling will help out with dating it. I don't specialize in colonial finds, but this is one that sure blew me away to dig. If anyone has any information on the hallmark or spelling of the words, I would greatly appreciate help. Can't wait to get back out now! Also had to mention and give credit to my brother for the photos.
image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 78

The Urban Prospector

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Wherever I am.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado,
Garrett AT Pro,
Minelab Excal II,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Nokta Legend,
Garrett Pro Pointer,
Garrett Pro Pointer AT,
Human eyes
Primary Interest:
Other
Old golden awesomeness....congrats!

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for all the nice comments and banner vote. Still waiting to hear from the British Museum and when I do I'll post it up on here.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Anyone know of a good appraisal place for things of this nature? I don't want to sell it, but just curious to know what the value is and how careful to be with it. lol

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a great find and I have nominated it for a banner spot :notworthy:
It dates between the 16th-18th century some rarer types can date to the 14th c, but this is a later type. I think your hallmark is more likely a family mark.

Posey rings were very popular in England and France between the 15th and 17th century as lovers gifts, the language used was Norman French, Latin and English used in later times. The quotations used were from contemporary courtship stories.
I couldn' find your inscription on any of the listed inscriptions for for English Posey Rings, the closest match was My Heart and Eye until I Die.
Once again a great find and well worthy of a banner spot.:notworthy:

SS

Last edited:
OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This is a great find and I have nominated it for a banner spot :notworthy:
It dates between the 16th-18th century some rarer types can date to the 14th c, but this is a later type. I think your hallmark is more likely a family mark.

Posey rings were very popular in England and France between the 15th and 17th century as lovers gifts, the language used was Norman French, Latin and English used in later times. The quotations used were from contemporary courtship stories.
I couldn' find your inscription on any of the listed inscriptions for for English Posey Rings, the closest match was My Heart and Eye until I Die.
Once again a great find and well worthy of a banner spot.:notworthy:

SS

Thank-you very much for all the informative information on the posey (posy and posie I think I read all three are ways of proper spelling, this ring has been a teacher too,lol) ring I found. Would be wonderful to figure out that marking and the family that used it. I did contact the British Museum, but haven't heard back yet. My brother found a ring on their site with the same hallmark and that one they didn't know the maker. Some of the details on my ring on that marking are crisper, so maybe it will help. I have my fingers crossed. Anyway, thank-you for the banner vote. I think this one will be very hard to top this year.

ohiowhiteguy

Oct 11, 2012
clermont county ohio
Detector(s) used
coin master pro,,,Garrett at pro,,, Garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
just had to say..ring around the rosy a pocket full of posey.
nice find..
we all fall down..
hh. OWG...

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope to see this one up top soon. A ring like this is at the top of my bucketlist and should be for anybody that hunts colonial.

Silver Tree Chaser

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just want to make my contribution to this thread and congratulate you on an outstanding recovery. I think that 17th century gold, a beautiful posey ring no less, deserves to be posted at the top for a banner find. You have my vote.

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hope to see this one up top soon. A ring like this is at the top of my bucketlist and should be for anybody that hunts colonial.
Thanks for the nice comment. I sure was happy to dig it. My first ever gold ring, so I can't complain. lol

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I just want to make my contribution to this thread and congratulate you on an outstanding recovery. I think that 17th century gold, a beautiful posey ring no less, deserves to be posted at the top for a banner find. You have my vote.
Thanks for the nice comment and your vote. Sure is at the top of my colonial things I've found. You've found some amazing things also. That pewter pipe is superb!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Banner nomination sent! GREAT find!

Top Member Reactions