🥇 BANNER Gold posey ring found this weekend!!

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just got home from a few days of digging. I managed to go across something I never even thought of digging on the final day, which is a colonial posey ring. It was found on a site in Eastern Virginia that is rich in history. I contacted the British museum so hopefully I can get it dated and more information. My brother, Leonard Short, managed to repair any damages on the ring and it looks superb now! So if you want any repairs of stuff, let me know and I'll give you his email. Information on the ring he gave me is it's: 22-24 KT gold, 2.04 grams in weight, 3.3 mm wide and 7.25 ring size. Inside it has the makers mark and the writing says:"This and I untill I dye" I'm hoping the spelling will help out with dating it. I don't specialize in colonial finds, but this is one that sure blew me away to dig. If anyone has any information on the hallmark or spelling of the words, I would greatly appreciate help. Can't wait to get back out now! Also had to mention and give credit to my brother for the photos.
image2.jpeg image3.jpeg image1.jpeg image2.jpeg image3.jpeg

Last edited:
Upvote 78

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Definitely a historical ring find Worm-Slicer, congrats on achieving your second BANNER! :occasion14:
The restoration job was tastefully done, but I would've loved to have seen before and after pics prior to restoration. :dontknow:

Dave

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He posted a pic of it before on the second page of this thread Post #21
Definitely a historical ring find Worm-Slicer, congrats on achieving your second BANNER! :occasion14:
The restoration job was tastefully done, but I would've loved to have seen before and after pics prior to restoration. :dontknow:

Dave

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Always nice to find gold rings. Plus to find one with an inscription just adds to the excitement and exhilaration. Congratulations on a sweet find! :icon_thumleft:
Thanks, I appreciate it and that was the most exciting part when I dug it, is reading the inscription. The first person to do so in probably over 300 years.:)

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dave
Thanks. Yes the ring is certainly historical. I imagine who wore it and what circumstances led to it being lost and how different life was when it was lost. Where I live at that time was just wilderness and Indians. As toddbbq pointed out, I posted a photo of before restoration. I think I made the best choice on getting this piece restored to it's true beauty.:)

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super find!!! Well done !

DiggerKid2003

Jul 5, 2014
Spotsylvania VA
Detector(s) used
Garret At Pro, Garret Pro Pointer, Wireless Z-Lynk headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Leonard is great at what he does. He repaired a nice button of my dad's and did a great job. Anyways great find.

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got home from a few days of digging. I managed to go across something I never even thought of digging on the final day, which is a colonial posey ring. It was found on a site in Eastern Virginia that is rich in history. I contacted the British museum so hopefully I can get it dated and more information. My brother, Leonard Short, managed to repair any damages on the ring and it looks superb now! So if you want any repairs of stuff, let me know and I'll give you his email. Information on the ring he gave me is it's: 22-24 KT gold, 2.04 grams in weight, 3.3 mm wide and 7.25 ring size. Inside it has the makers mark and the writing says:"This and I untill I dye" I'm hoping the spelling will help out with dating it. I don't specialize in colonial finds, but this is one that sure blew me away to dig. If anyone has any information on the hallmark or spelling of the words, I would greatly appreciate help. Can't wait to get back out now! Also had to mention and give credit to my brother for the photos.
View attachment 1569688 View attachment 1569689 View attachment 1569690 View attachment 1569691 View attachment 1569692

I'm late seeing this one & dug by a Civil War Guy , but I know he will take anything Cool .

I hope to get my coil over some Colonial Soil some day but until then Ill take what I can get.

A Big Congratulation's on your Sweet Banner find.
Davers

OP
OP
Worm-Slicer

Worm-Slicer

Jan 6, 2013
SouthwestVirginia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm late seeing this one & dug by a Civil War Guy , but I know he will take anything Cool .

I hope to get my coil over some Colonial Soil some day but until then Ill take what I can get.

A Big Congratulation's on your Sweet Banner find.
Davers
Yep, Civil War relic hunting is my specialty, but I do love Colonial also. I have been fortunate enough to find a GW button, 8 reale and other Colonial finds over the years, but this one is hands down my best and favorite Colonial find. Now wish I could find a Civil War I. D. ring!:) The best of luck in your search and thanks for the nice comment.

Lanny in AB

Gold Member
Apr 2, 2003
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Various Minelabs(5000, 2100, X-Terra 705, Equinox 800, Gold Monster), Falcon MD20, Tesoro Sand Shark, Gold Bug Pro, Makro Gold Racer.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow! What a great find.

All the best,

Lanny

geom01

Tenderfoot
Nov 28, 2017
Detector(s) used
GD-10 Electrical Resistivity Imaging
Induced Polarization
Primary Interest: