Gold Prospecting in Morgan Co, Indiana

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
F75LTD, G2+, Tesoro Mojave & Bandido 2 micro-max, Deep Tech GG & X
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure what's been posted concerning gold in Indiana but I came across this in an early geological report.

Morgan Co Gold-1.JPG

Morgan Co Gold-2.JPG

Upvote 0

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
my aunt and uncle live in Gnawbone for many years. That's in Brown County. Back in the 60s and 70s I recall them talking about gold prospecting in the area. They spoke of small diamonds also.

I think back at the turn of the century like the article speaks of, it was not uncommon for folks to be trying creeks for color.

I read a number of pamphlets about the gold and diamonds found in Indiana over the years. Virtually all of them have information about the glaciation period pushing the gold and diamond bearing strata down from the Canadian shield. Since the glaciers stopped in that vicinity, one finds the gold and diamonds in the creeks where they have washed out. The larger moraibilies and kames are the remnants of the large boulder and material pushed in front of the glaciers. Where they retreated these kames are the mounds now covered in soil after millennia of plant based decay forming soil.

Over thousands of years, rain, floodwaters and other erosion have washed gold and other valuable minerals into these creeks.

Only in the area south of where the glaciers stopped and retreated does the possibility exists to find these in a probability high enough to be remotely successful.

We have a farm in Owen County not too far from White River which a nice size creek flows through. I have often thought about the possibility of gold and or diamond in the area.

OP
OP
ken135

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
dognose - found a map that shows where the glaciers stopped. Looks like the southeast part of Owen would be a good area to look for gold and diamonds.

Glacier Boundaries in Indiana.JPG

Owen Co would be on the southern edge, as mentioned in this article.

Gold and Diamond counties in Indiana.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
ken135

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want more information, there was a good paper presented in 1902 on the subject of gold and diamonds in Indiana.

Gold and Diamond counties in Indiana-2.JPG

This was just the introduction. Article is quite detailed and lengthy (too long to post here). I found it on-line.
If you have trouble locating a copy, let me know. I'll send you a link.

Last edited:

Ohiogoldfever

Oct 15, 2020
Dayton Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have the same glacial activity here in Ohio. I have had my best luck looking for streams and creeks that cut through, or close to a gravel pit. Most of the pits are natural depressions that the glaciers scraped a bunch of material into. It’s often safe to say that the creek or river has done a good job of concentrating the materials down for you.

I’ve places here that I can pull 5-10 bits of color per pan.

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dognose - found a map that shows where the glaciers stopped. Looks like the southeast part of Owen would be a good area to look for gold and diamonds.

View attachment 1900886

Owen Co would be on the southern edge, as mentioned in this article.

View attachment 1900890

That map now explains why so much of it is found here in Decatur County!!! THX for the info

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That map now explains why so much of it is found here in Decatur County!!! THX for the info

I wasn't aware that anyone ever found anything in Decatur County? Maybe very small amounts in Morgan but never heard of anyone finding Gold in Decatur County. Have you tried this yourself?

fishstick

Silver Member
Oct 28, 2012
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, T2SE, F2 for the boys, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wasn't aware that anyone ever found anything in Decatur County? Maybe very small amounts in Morgan but never heard of anyone finding Gold in Decatur County. Have you tried this yourself?

I've tried a lil but it's not my thing. I want BIG nuggets LOL!!!!! There's a Gold digging club just 8 miles from me to the North. They're set up all year round

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I met a guy that found gold in Yellowwood State Forest between Bloomington and Nashville. He had a glass tube with about 1/2" of gold in it. I asked how long it took him to find it and he said 3 yrs! Gary

OP
OP
ken135

ken135

Sep 24, 2017
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Took this from the same reference as the map previously posted. I was surprised by the quality of the gold found in Brown & Morgan Counties.
That 14.05 ounces Mr. Young sent to the mint, today would be close to $25,000.

WW Young gold miner 1902.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread