Gold prospecting in South Carolina

Cstyle00

Greenie
Dec 20, 2012
Hey fellow prospectors and treasure hunters. I started this thread to see what people had to say about gold still in South Carolina. I aq'uired a small tract of land in Smyrna, York County. Land has been untouched since the California rush (except the little old lady that lived there since 1912). Basically I'm wondering has anyone ever picked up a nug in SC. I understand that it would be rare and would be quartz, not like a nug found in the west. If anyone knows of the Dixon Mine, Martin Mine, Horn Mine, or Southern Gold Mine which all closed in 1939 I think by Roosevelt because of the war. I'm near there. They were pulling some good size nugs from the myths. So let me know of your stories of gold found in SC.

Using a White's GMT. So far about 20 hrs. prospecting. Digging everything under 85% iron somtimes I dig targets anyway off of fence lines. Slow going lots of nails and .22 cal. bullets in rocky soil. Found a few buttons with no markings and some worn down axe heads about 14" down under large roots. Makes you wonder what happened to make someone be so careless with such a valuable asset of the time. I'm going to search it all of course, consentrating on the tickest areas of the forest first since the leaves are down and try to hit as many ridges and hillsides before summer slows things even worse. I'm detecting the area first then I'll dig some prostpecting pits. What gold have you guys seen in SC?

Upvote 0

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a few pictures of what the mine is mining I think on my profile. One of them is breccia I believe. It is full of pyrite and very brittle but most of the gold is attached to the pyrite from what I have researched about the mine

image-2284360014.jpg

It's size of my hand

sideshowmick

Jun 24, 2013
hidden valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That looks like what we got. Now I need to figure out how to extract it huh? Hmmmmm.... thanks bro. You've been a great help. I have a Guy that may come out on Sunday with a high banker. If he doesn't show I just may give you a call. Where are you located again?

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got same problem here the clay particles and gold weigh the same so I can't get it to seperate by panning or sluice. Let me know how the high banking goes

sideshowmick

Jun 24, 2013
hidden valley
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've got same problem here the clay particles and gold weigh the same so I can't get it to seperate by panning or sluice. Let me know how the high banking goes

The highbankng didn't turn out so well. I was just sent a link with instructions on how to extract the gold without using cyanide.(which is what they will be using next to me) I will pm you the link. Good work.

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally got the sluice going today for about an hour in the little stream and actually found about 20 pieces of 100 mesh gold. Now I know for sure the stuff is here and didn't need a magnifying glass to see it lol.

Sawyer

Jan 25, 2013
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab Exterra 705
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck to the SC folks! May the next big strike be yours!

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be nice. Going to try and get some more in the next few days and try and figure out the source.

van4330

Jul 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i am planning to go gold panning 8/23-8/28 ... rented an rv ... we live in north east Florida ... so South Carolina would be closest ....do i need to get a permit ... and where do they sell them (will i be able to get one over the wknd) also is there really any need to drive further like to Alabama or NC this being our first time. not sure we would know a good mine anyway

davidb

Jan 7, 2013
There are good places in ga also to go but I don't think you need a permit on public lands so have a great time and find lots

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 hours working the sluice today and found some of the yellow stuff

Attachments

• image-4137243359.jpg
    image-4137243359.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 337

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
The highbankng didn't turn out so well. I was just sent a link with instructions on how to extract the gold without using cyanide.(which is what they will be using next to me) I will pm you the link. Good work.

In the creeks, you really need to get down to the aluvial gravels and rocks (ancient stream bed) and down to bedrock. While the creek bed will likely contain powder and flake Gold as you dig deeper and deeper, you will encounter the bigger Gold in the aluvial gravels and rocks and down on top of the bedrock. If you encounter any clay layers that are whitish and/or greyish and/or bluish in color as you dig deeper, make sure to process as much of this as possible as it will contain nice powder and flake Gold and possibly some small pickers. These clay layers in NC, SC and GA are often lined with oranges, reds and almost brown colors due to intrusion of red clays and other soils that are nearby which often get mixed into the clays during heavy rain events.

As far as finding Gold in the rock layers on your' land. The Gold in these rocks as well as in Black Sand, are often chemically bonded to the host rocks and Black Sand and you must first release the Gold from the host rocks. Dig some of these rocks up, crush them into powder, roast the powder in a large iron skillet or pot, then after it cools, pan the powder in a Gold Pan to see if there is any Gold. There are also chemical means of getting the Gold from the powder but some of these are expensive and dangerous. A lot of Gold in these areas of SC and NC are in the slate/shale layers and some Quartz veins that are fairly deep. However, if the Quartz and slate/shale layers are closer to the surface on your' property, then these are the rocks that you really want to excavate and process by the same method as above!

Good luck!

Frank

Last edited:

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
If anyone is a member of the LDMA/GPAA and wants to try out the Vein Mountain LDMA Mine in North Carolina, I know a good spot there to get a lot of Gold! That is, if no one else has found my secret! I used to go there quite often with a friend that is a member of the LDMA and GPAA and we used to get a lot of powder and flake Gold. The last time we were there which was about 6 years ago, I even brought up some small pickers and small nuggets as I had just gotten into the sweet spot. While running a test pan of material, we turned around in time to see a Black snake and a Copperhead floating down the creek, fighting for life and death. Since that time, I cannot get my friend to go back there and I do not hold a LDMA/GPAA Membership, so I have to be a guest of a member. So, if any LDMA/GPAA members want to give it a try, just PM me and I will show you the spot and we can split what we get.

Frank

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great info. Here is picture of the stuff laying around the property and the stuff I found today was on property in the gray colored clay. Mostly I have found all through the stream bed. Also I wish I was a member of those groups but can't afford it.

Great info frank and thanks.

Attachments

• image-3851452622.jpg
    image-3851452622.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 414

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Great info. Here is picture of the stuff laying around the property and the stuff I found today was on property in the gray colored clay. Mostly I have found all through the stream bed. Also I wish I was a member of those groups but can't afford it.

Great info frank and thanks.

Check some of those rocks with a 10x to 15x powered Gem Loupe to see if any contain fine powder or flake Gold! If so, process them in the same manner as I mentioned in my post above.

Now as far as you stating that the clay particles weigh the same as the Gold, I hope you are not tossing them! Those clay particles may in fact be heavy metals such as Platinum, Palladium or other and could be valuable in fair sized quantities. Contact the nearest Geological Department of a University and ask if they will test the particles for you to determine what they are. I have panned lots of the same particles in NC, TN and GA but have never had them tested. I gave lots of the stuff to my friend to have tested but he is such a procrastinator, that he has not attempted to do so in more than 6 years! If you are like me, you will save every heavy particle that stays in the Gold Pan with the Gold.

Frank

behappyjason

Apr 4, 2013
Kershaw, sc
Detector(s) used
Garrett 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check some of those rocks with a 10x to 15x powered Gem Loupe to see if any contain fine powder or flake Gold! If so, process them in the same manner as I mentioned in my post above.

Now as far as you stating that the clay particles weigh the same as the Gold, I hope you are not tossing them! Those clay particles may in fact be heavy metals such as Platinum, Palladium or other and could be valuable in fair sized quantities. Contact the nearest Geological Department of a University and ask if they will test the particles for you to determine what they are. I have panned lots of the same particles in NC, TN and GA but have never had them tested. I gave lots of the stuff to my friend to have tested but he is such a procrastinator, that he has not attempted to do so in more than 6 years! If you are like me, you will save every heavy particle that stays in the Gold Pan with the Gold.

Frank

Got down to bedrock today in new spot on the stream and got about the same maybe a little more gold. The bedrock is shale and hard to get with out a dredge because of the loose sand filling in the hole. But with it being about the same in a the different spots then it has to mean there's a lode deposit some where close by.

What u think

Jason

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread