🥇 BANNER Gold Ring With Eagle On It

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
Had a great metal detecting adventure yesterday! I found civil war bullets, colonial buckles and buttons but the main find was a gold ring with an eagle on it! I have not been able to find a similar ring anywhere. I believe it is a military ring since it has the eagle with what appears to be an olive branch in his mouth. What I thought were scratches on the back appears to be some sort of makers mark or symbols? If you figure it out let me know! video here

Attachments

• Makers mark on eagle ring.png
    Makers mark on eagle ring.png
    242.9 KB · Views: 1,024
  • FullSizeRender 25.jpg
    FullSizeRender 25.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 762
  • Eagle Ring.png
    Eagle Ring.png
    241.7 KB · Views: 1,006
  • FullSizeRender 22.jpg
    FullSizeRender 22.jpg
    530.7 KB · Views: 645
  • FullSizeRender 24.jpg
    FullSizeRender 24.jpg
    963 KB · Views: 607
  • FullSizeRender 23.jpg
    FullSizeRender 23.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 626
Upvote 136

orange_sweetheart

Sep 5, 2014
Denton, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might shoot a pic or 2 to Heritage Auctions for their assessment (no cost). I've dealt with them several times before here in Dallas, and they are great -- very expert, professional and knowledgeable but friendly. They auctioned a painting for me once, and have also done several other valuations of various kinds. Be sure and mention if you found it around a known camp or battle site. Maybe it belonged to ol' George himself. Just a thought, and congrats again!

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
You've been hot this summer Steve, but you really outdid yourself this time. I can't wait to find out what the ring's true identify and age is. It certainly looks colonial, but those marks on the back are very strange and ones I've never seen before. Hope you can find someone knowledgeable to help come up with an accurate ID. Amazing man!!

Thanks Bill! I hope the horseshoe stays in place. I have surely had some good luck this summer! My guardian angel is doing a good job!

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Killer find. Congratulations! :thumbsup:

It's not an eagle. It's a french cock ring. OK that came out a little weird. Let me start again. :BangHead:

The French national animal is a fighting rooster (Coq Gaulois). The ring appears to be stamp work and probably is colonial period. It doesn't appear to be made for sale in France because there is no Makers Mark in a triangle. It was probably made for export.

The Coq Gaulois is found all through French history. Their coins, stamps and medals often have that rowdy rooster on the face:

View attachment 1472712

View attachment 1472715

Here's a painting of a Coq Gaulois killing a German Eagle:

View attachment 1472714

The fact that it's not an American eagle doesn't diminish the find but it probably does reflect a lower sales value.

If it was a fighting rooster I would think mine would have a cone on his head (mine looks bald)? also the tail feathers look more like an eagle than a rooster to me?? The jury is still out!

OP
OP
G

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
You might shoot a pic or 2 to Heritage Auctions for their assessment (no cost). I've dealt with them several times before here in Dallas, and they are great -- very expert, professional and knowledgeable but friendly. They auctioned a painting for me once, and have also done several other valuations of various kinds. Be sure and mention if you found it around a known camp or battle site. Maybe it belonged to ol' George himself. Just a thought, and congrats again!
done!

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very nice find! congrats on the find of a life time.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most excellent find. It's purpose was a wax seal, probably a family seal. Great save.

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
i think what makes it cooler,is no id yet.keep us posted.
brad

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question would be why is the bird situated on the ring that way? Like on its side when the ring is on a finger. Are wax seal rings meant to just be taken off for use as a seal? Still can't believe this find tho...real treasure!

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There's very little I can add to the conversation at this point, except to extend my heartfelt congratulations! This is a monumental find, and obviously Banner worthy. Hopefully you will be able to uncover the ring's history.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find Steve. You've motivated me to hit the rivers hard but I doubt I'll find something as awesome as that.

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other
Big congrats on this find a lifetime. Definitely deserving of being on the banner. I've enjoyed watching your videos and love your enthusiasm and positive attitude. I bet you're a blast to hang out with! I'll be following this thread in hopes of seeing more information about this amazing gold ring.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My question would be why is the bird situated on the ring that way? Like on its side when the ring is on a finger. Are wax seal rings meant to just be taken off for use as a seal? Still can't believe this find tho...real treasure!
Seal rings were often left on the hand when in use. The position makes sense if you simulate a seal while wearing it much more natural feel being sideways on the ring IMO

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I apologize to the O.P. for not noticing this Thread earlier! I just didn't get excited over a title saying "Gold Ring With Eagle On It".

Let me say what an amazing and likely, extremely rare find you have found. I am sure that it is an Eagle depicted on the ring and the Eagle is holding an Olive Branch in it's mouth. It is likely a Wax Seal Ring of significance. I would not be surprised to find out that the ring has a direct relationship to the founding of this Country and was owned and may have been used by someone that had a hand in the forming of this Nation. Who knows, they may have even signed the Declaration of Independence. Besides Heritage Auctions, I would recommend contacting the Smithsonian Museum and any authorities on Revolutionary War period artifacts.

Frank

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw this. WOW what a find. Watched the video and saw the hallmarks. Silver gets the hallmark award for centuries but early USA Gold hallmarks are kind of rare I think? I have never seen these marks thats for sure! Awesome. Hope someone chimes in or Heritage answers. Im very curious.

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I apologize to the O.P. for not noticing this Thread earlier! I just didn't get excited over a title saying "Gold Ring With Eagle On It".

Let me say what an amazing and likely, extremely rare find you have found. I am sure that it is an Eagle depicted on the ring and the Eagle is holding an Olive Branch in it's mouth. It is likely a Wax Seal Ring of significance. I would not be surprised to find out that the ring has a direct relationship to the founding of this Country and was owned and used by someone that had a hand in the forming of this Nation and that they may have signed the Declaration of Independence. Besides Heritage Auctions, I would recommend contacting the Smithsonian Museum and any authorities on Revolutionary War period artifacts.

Frank
I agree, this is definitely significant and if Heritage can't help you I would definitely pursue other avenues above.

orange_sweetheart

Sep 5, 2014
Denton, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! -- The Smithsonian is a great idea -- I hadn't even thought of that. THEY would know, for sure.

Last edited:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang! -- The Smithsonian is a great idea -- I hadn't even thought of that. THEY would know, for sure.
The problem with the Smith is getting their attention. If it is not significant they will not respond or take a year to do it. Heritage as mentioned above is Lickety split either way. The experts on the Antiques roadshow. (The list is on the roadshow site) are also genuinely excited to do research and share opinions.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread