Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold is where you find it is an old saying and as a detectorist gold from the swimming areas and from the beach is not that unusual. Gold from the parks and playing fields is not the norm. So to me finding gold 2 days in a row digging in the dirt is very unusual.

I went back to the old high school that has produced civil war artifacts and some old coins along with modern coins and jewelry. I spent 4.5 hours swingin the CZ21 and continuing the grid on one of the sports fields. There was a fairly heavy amount of iron in some spots from the old houses that were there before the school. I managed to pick a few coins out of the field, but not much else except for tabs and foil came out of the ground. So when I removed some dirt from the plug I had just dug and saw 2 rings I was surprised and happy. I pulled them out and wiped off some of the dirt. One was marked 14k and I couldn’t read the mark on the other one so I had to wait until I got home to clean it up, but it had what looked like an opal and some diamonds on it. It turned out that the second ring is silver, but the opal and diamonds are fakes darn it.

4224CF13-0C88-4CC3-A055-E8AB2E0EBBEC.jpeg

I ended up with 22 coins with a face value of $0.75, 3 mangled modern bullets, 2 screw in cleats, 3 starter pistol blanks, a WW2 style bag snap, a WALTER HARRISON name plate, 2 musical instrument set screws, 2 rings, the top part of an aluminum ring, some foil and tabs.

95FB4529-0F08-4251-86C4-1EC43A0EF5FB.jpeg

The gold band weighs .11 troy ounces or 3.4 grams. Not a whopper, better than some of the gold I have found this year.

00202DA3-7CA9-4CDD-96B0-E09DB622048A.jpeg

Today I went back on campus to continue my gridding of a sports field. I spent 6 hours swingin and did better coin wise with 38 coins with a face value of $2.57, part of a inflation needle, 3 1/2 keys, a gold ring, a flat button, a brass leaf pin, and a big handful of tabs.

49724045-A978-44C9-AE21-8A180BFB1EAB.jpeg

The flat button doesn’t have any backmark, an erect shank, and there is still a little silver on the front. The ring weighs .15 troy ounces or 4.7 grams. Again not a whopper but a decent ring.

E2A4EA6C-7963-4EBF-9F87-B0D7AF46DE73.jpeg 1AA311D6-C156-413B-8F33-6B910151C2E7.jpeg E2570C65-9B1B-4F4C-8C6D-C5BCFE57D291.jpeg

So 2 days of digging all those mid tone signals produced a lot of tabs, foil and junk, but also a little over a quarter ounce of 14k gold. A good end to the week. This makes 16 golds for my year that began May 1. It took a lot of digging, but it was worth it. Thanks for looking, stay safe and may your coil lead you to good things.

Upvote 23

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Capncrunch

Mar 25, 2020
KCMO Area
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 5000, Fisher F22, Quest X10, Nokta Makro Simplex+, Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I have only been hunting (again) since January, but I have yet to find even ONE good ring (only two 'junk' ones so far)! That must be a really amazing site you are hunting. Thanks for posting this, as it will help motivate me (and others, I imagine) to keep looking!

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on some very nice gold and other finds!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great finds! The rings are very nice! Thanks for sharing with us!

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! I have only been hunting (again) since January, but I have yet to find even ONE good ring (only two 'junk' ones so far)! That must be a really amazing site you are hunting. Thanks for posting this, as it will help motivate me (and others, I imagine) to keep looking!

Thanks for the nice reply. These rings actually came from 2 different sites, but I have found other golds at both of these sites. When I first started I didn’t find much good jewelry either. In time ( I’ve been doing this for over 18 years) I found better places to detect and learned my detector so I knew what to dig. I’m sure there are some good rings out there waiting for you to get your coil over them. Do exactly as you said and keep looking and the goodies will come. Stay safe and keep swingin.

OP
OP
tnt-hunter

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on some very nice gold and other finds!

Thanks wildcat. I am cleaning up the planet, but it’s more like a handful of pop tabs at a time some days. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread