GOLD, SILVER, BRASS, COPPER, YAHOO!!!

S

seger98

Hello everyone, being that the wife & I are fulltime RVer's I can't get on line all the time, so here are some of my better finds over the last couple of weeks, first picture with 3 indian heads I found in a old logging camp, they date: 1889, 1906 & 1905, the wheatie dates 1916 D. the silvers I found at a couple of different boy scout camps. They date 1942 & 1944 Mercs, 52 D, 53 D, 54 D & 59 D on the rosies. A trade token from the FISH - JOHNSON Lumber Co. Elcho Wi. Good for 1 in merchandise.

Also maybe someone could tell me if the 1961 Canadian 5 cent has silver in it? It came out of the gound looking pretty nice, any other nickels I find are pretty dirty as you all know!

In the next picture is the jewelry I found at the boy scout camps. Silver ring, gold ring, silver pendant & chain, a silver bead, an eagle pendant & a couple of other rings. The gold ring is a june 1964 class ring from Lane Tech. with the weight of it, it comes out to be around $175.00 as 10 kt. gold

In the third picture is a really nice find, a solid brass 12 ga. UMC CO. shotgun shell casing!! Any idea of the price of something like that? a old drawer pull and couple of musket balls, two small pieces of lead I think, don't know what they are. And a steel needle, I found all but the drawer pull at old logging camps. Thanks for looking & remember I won't be able to respond to comments or questions for about a week. HH Chris.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    75.9 KB · Views: 811
  • 002.JPG
    002.JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 797
  • 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    87.7 KB · Views: 809
  • 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 794
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 787
Upvote 10

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greta finds. You got a little of everything. :thumbsup:

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
Great finds! That ring is huge! Glad to see you and the lovely wife are still out having time to hunt a bit and to hear that things are going well for you! Take care and keep in touch when you can!

OP
OP
S

seger98

Cynangyl said:
Great finds! That ring is huge! Glad to see you and the lovely wife are still out having time to hunt a bit and to hear that things are going well for you! Take care and keep in touch when you can!

Thanks Cyn, wish Brian was here to come along with me on my outings, still haven't heard from him, Chris

Cynangyl

Gold Member
Apr 12, 2007
God's lap
Detector(s) used
X-terra 70
ACE 250
I have not heard from him again since that day I relayed the email either. Kinda worried and I am sure he would be a nice addition to your hunts. I will send him off another email in case he gets a connection again and checks in. Take care!!

MUD(S.W.A.T)

Gold Member
Apr 15, 2005
Detector(s) used
I use, Whites MXT and Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Killer haul !!

I do know Canada minted silver dimes and quarters until 1967 and use 80% silver. I do not think they used any silver in the nickles. Check it with a magnet if silver it won't stick.

Keep @ it and HH!!

SoreKneesDayton

Bronze Member
Oct 27, 2007
Dayton, Oh
Detector(s) used
Whites M-6 with Bullseye Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you could sell those rings and almost afford some gas to drive to your next site...lol

Good going. Is there room in your RV for a passenger?

SKD
WeDigOhio
WhenGasPricesAllow

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Great set of finds there, Chris!! :thumbsup:
I really like that gold class ring!! Those boy scout camps really put out!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Holy smokes!!! What a haul. :thumbsup: Congrats on all your finds, but gold, silver, and IH's is awesome.
I like the arrowhead piece. Very cool.
Congrats,
MM

T

TreasurdiggrNY

Nice finds from your travels. What a nice mix, you're definitely hitting some productive spots wtg :thumbsup:
Glenn

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Canadian nickel is 100% nickel, which is why it doesn't turn dark in the ground. The reason that US nickels turn dark is because they are mostly copper. The Canadian nickel will be attracted to a magnet. In 1982, Canada changed the composition of their nickels to be the same as the US. A few years ago, they changed them again to be nickel plated steel. You can tell the plated ones (along with cents, dimes, quarters, halves, dollars, and two dollars) by checking under Elizabeth's bust for a small 'P'. Starting in 2007, they replaced the 'P' with the RCM logo.

Scott

OP
OP
S

seger98

srcdco said:
The Canadian nickel is 100% nickel, which is why it doesn't turn dark in the ground. The reason that US nickels turn dark is because they are mostly copper. The Canadian nickel will be attracted to a magnet. In 1982, Canada changed the composition of their nickels to be the same as the US. A few years ago, they changed them again to be nickel plated steel. You can tell the plated ones (along with cents, dimes, quarters, halves, dollars, and two dollars) by checking under Elizabeth's bust for a small 'P'. Starting in 2007, they replaced the 'P' with the RCM logo.

Scott
Thanks for the info on the nickel, did not know that!

OP
OP
S

seger98

SoreKneesDayton said:
Looks like you could sell those rings and almost afford some gas to drive to your next site...lol

Good going. Is there room in your RV for a passenger?

SKD
WeDigOhio
WhenGasPricesAllow

Only if you are female & good looking :icon_jokercolor:

Oh, and you have a Minelab excal 800.... :thumbsup:

JoeCrow

Greenie
Aug 30, 2019
Wisco
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Bounty Hunter Discriminator RB5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old thread but I just found it and wanted to add some context to the Fish Lumber token.
Charles Fish owned a number of lumber mills that had a habit of burning down. His mill in Elcho took the most of the town with it. He bought up a lot of the burnout and rebuilt with notable and fancy "New England" style architecture. After this he also created his own currency that could be used in town (I don't know if it was usable at other locations he controlled).
Wild guy.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone, being that the wife & I are fulltime RVer's I can't get on line all the time, so here are some of my better finds over the last couple of weeks, first picture with 3 indian heads I found in a old logging camp, they date: 1889, 1906 & 1905, the wheatie dates 1916 D. the silvers I found at a couple of different boy scout camps. They date 1942 & 1944 Mercs, 52 D, 53 D, 54 D & 59 D on the rosies. A trade token from the FISH - JOHNSON Lumber Co. Elcho Wi. Good for 1 in merchandise.

Also maybe someone could tell me if the 1961 Canadian 5 cent has silver in it? It came out of the gound looking pretty nice, any other nickels I find are pretty dirty as you all know!

In the next picture is the jewelry I found at the boy scout camps. Silver ring, gold ring, silver pendant & chain, a silver bead, an eagle pendant & a couple of other rings. The gold ring is a june 1964 class ring from Lane Tech. with the weight of it, it comes out to be around $175.00 as 10 kt. gold

In the third picture is a really nice find, a solid brass 12 ga. UMC CO. shotgun shell casing!! Any idea of the price of something like that? a old drawer pull and couple of musket balls, two small pieces of lead I think, don't know what they are. And a steel needle, I found all but the drawer pull at old logging camps. Thanks for looking & remember I won't be able to respond to comments or questions for about a week. HH Chris.
way cool assortment of finds, well done. silver and gold is a great day.............

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread