GOLD "SORT OF"

brandy

Jan 15, 2005
SOUTH ARKANSAS
GOLD "SORT OF"

I visited an old abandoned school today. Not sure how long it's been vacant but I would guess in th last ten years. Was finding mostly newer clad around the playground equipment, so I started doing a patrol of the place. There was a nice slope on one end above some swings and I could imagine kids running up and down that slope and many of them falling and rolling to the bottom. I was looking for the older stuff and my first hit was a 65 quarter, next hit was 64 nickle. I worked the entire slope area and ended up with a gold plated band, another toy ring, 3 wheats, the oldest being 1915. A surprise with a 1942 British 3 pence piece, my first British coin, a cool button with the likeness of an eagle on it( don't know if this is old or not, the back is completely gone and this is a Civil war town) and a what-zit. It's made of copper and has the number 5 stamped on it. Also a nugget pendant that could have been gold clad. It sounded off in the gold range but was coated with corrosion, after scraping it come out silver looking. All old silver was elusive today but I will return to this place. I talked with the man across the road and he said he went to school here in the 40's and he believed the school had been built in the 20's. I believe it's been hunted hard. HH

Attachments

• 5-22-05.jpg
    5-22-05.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 290
Upvote 0

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
Re: GOLD "SORT OF"

brandy said:
I talked with the man across the road and he said he went to school here in the 40's and he believed the school had been built in the 20's. I believe it's been hunted hard. HH
But you still found all this good stuff!! I'm sure you'll find more when you go back. Nice finds!!

HH 8) surfrat

F

Floater

Im with Badger Brandy. With that much history it sounds like if it had been hunted miuch you wouldnt of found what you did. Hit it hard and hit it often. Sounds like a nice spot. HH

Mystro7

Mar 30, 2005

Nice finds! Go back, hit er' slow. I know there are more goodies, looks like you got off to a good start on that area. God luck on your next hunt! :)

Getty

Bronze Member
May 1, 2005
Maryland
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Great finds.I think the what-zit is a wieght for a balance scale.I bet it wieghs 5 something,grams maybe?

A

ARCOMANDPURPLE

I agree with jimmy5503. congrats on your finds and go back to that site you most likely will find more goodies

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I gotta agree with everyone above. I have made three trips out to an old amusement park area that has been much more than hunted to death (MD clubs go out there a couple of times a year), but I have still pulled one wheat, one buffalo and three mercs out of it.

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida

"Hunted out"...Translation: "Some other guy with a metal detector went in before you and was kind enough to remove some of the trash!" Great finds! Congrats! HH omnicognic 8)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread