Sep 9, 2007
Long Beach, California
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, White's Surfmaster Dual Field, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett ATX
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Well, here's the anomaly:

My favorite finds have been Gold rings and my average recovery rate has been close to a ring a month. Best of times I've gotten 6 rings in 3 weeks...worst of times ...maybe 2 months between rings. So now my last Gold ring was September 4 and try as I might NO GOLD RINGS!

Until Saturday last....I was at the local boaters beach looking for deep old coins and hoping for Silver. This beach has only a 2" sand cover over a hardpack sand concretion. My regular sand scoop gets damaged trying to dig beyond about that 2". I carry a small garden pick to get down deeper. My efforts have been rewarded by a few Silver quarters and dimes and wheat pennies.

I was using my Deus DRY SAND program modified to 4K with disc at 22 and small coil. I picked up some wheat pennies at about 6"+ and then got this darn foil signal at about 31. I scuffed the sand with my foot and the signal moved so I knew it was shallow. I very nearly ignored the signal..figuring 99.9% chance it was foil...but decided to pick it up to clean the beach. So I scooped up the "foil" and nearly fainted when it showed up as a silver ring!

But wait...31 would not be silver! Slipping my glasses up I looked inside the ring...YES! Not Silver..NOT Junk! 14K
This was not my first Gold ring but after 6 dry months it sure felt like it! Gold is Good! This one 4.95 grams of goodness.

The wet sand was very tempting and although my PI's are much deeper I wanted to get more experience with the Deus in wet sand. I picked up enough signals to keep me satisfied (well, it doesn't take much). A few clad coins and some neat (to me) stainless steel washers nuts and bolts. Deepest signals were about 4" to 5". Then a ring! A pretty one but unmarked so probably junk...but still case worthy due to looks.

My enthusiasm that evening so so high that I decided to order the much needed new ring cases. I had 4 before (36 ring capacity) and I am on my 5th (maybe 6th) case already. I've done this by reusing the older cases and putting the rings in "storage". Coming soon..2 (72 ring) cases and 2 (36 ring) cases with a ton of foam ring holder inserts.

Gotta Love this hobby!

HH Joe

Attachments

• Gold 10mar 2.jpg
    Gold 10mar 2.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 519
  • Ring 10mar ms deus wet sm.jpg
    Ring 10mar ms deus wet sm.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 629
Upvote 0

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DrJoePrime said:
Well, here's the anomaly:

My favorite finds have been Gold rings and my average recovery rate has been close to a ring a month. Best of times I've gotten 6 rings in 3 weeks...worst of times ...maybe 2 months between rings. So now my last Gold ring was September 4 and try as I might NO GOLD RINGS!

Until Saturday last....I was at the local boaters beach looking for deep old coins and hoping for Silver. This beach has only a 2" sand cover over a hardpack sand concretion. My regular sand scoop gets damaged trying to dig beyond about that 2". I carry a small garden pick to get down deeper. My efforts have been rewarded by a few Silver quarters and dimes and wheat pennies.

I was using my Deus DRY SAND program modified to 4K with disc at 22 and small coil. I picked up some wheat pennies at about 6"+ and then got this darn foil signal at about 31. I scuffed the sand with my foot and the signal moved so I knew it was shallow. I very nearly ignored the signal..figuring 99.9% chance it was foil...but decided to pick it up to clean the beach. So I scooped up the "foil" and nearly fainted when it showed up as a silver ring!

But wait...31 would not be silver! Slipping my glasses up I looked inside the ring...YES! Not Silver..NOT Junk! 14K
This was not my first Gold ring but after 6 dry months it sure felt like it! Gold is Good! This one 4.95 grams of goodness.

The wet sand was very tempting and although my PI's are much deeper I wanted to get more experience with the Deus in wet sand. I picked up enough signals to keep me satisfied (well, it doesn't take much). A few clad coins and some neat (to me) stainless steel washers nuts and bolts. Deepest signals were about 4" to 5". Then a ring! A pretty one but unmarked so probably junk...but still case worthy due to looks.

My enthusiasm that evening so so high that I decided to order the much needed new ring cases. I had 4 before (36 ring capacity) and I am on my 5th (maybe 6th) case already. I've done this by reusing the older cases and putting the rings in "storage". Coming soon..2 (72 ring) cases and 2 (36 ring) cases with a ton of foam ring holder inserts.

Gotta Love this hobby!

HH Joe

Great to see you broke the dry spell!! It's been a slow winter here no Nor Easter's all winter :(
Hope this is the beginning of a Gold Roll!!!!

SnT

petersra

Apr 26, 2006
a few miles from the ocean
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark + Cheap Radio Shack + Whites DF PI + Aquasound
nice hunt, nice story, nice score.... Gold is illusive. If the signal is in the range of gold you got to dig it, no matter how many pull tabs you have dug already..... HH, Ralph

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WTG... :hello2: You did a great job on the photo with the plant.

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Yep, since gold alloys are made with different metals, and different amounts/percentages/mixes, you really dont know anything except its non ferrous, so dig em all! The numbers are for conductivity, usually the lower the carat the lower the conductivity. It is also a mix of different metals, so that messes it up too. Pure gold is quite conductive. But modern jewelry is not even close to pure gold. Nice rings!

tnt-k9

Bronze Member
Mar 28, 2010
Dutch Caribbean
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stevemc said:
Yep, since gold alloys are made with different metals, and different amounts/percentages/mixes, you really dont know anything except its non ferrous, so dig em all! The numbers are for conductivity, usually the lower the carat the lower the conductivity. It is also a mix of different metals, so that messes it up too. Pure gold is quite conductive. But modern jewelry is not even close to pure gold. Nice rings!

WHAT?

Beside the technicalities...You had some good freaking finds.

search and recovery

May 6, 2011
Halifax, N.C.
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Whites Surfmaster Dual Field, Fisher CZ 6a,Teknetics G2,Deeptech Vista Gold, Tosoro Sand Shark, Minelab Sovereign GT, Sunspot sand scoop
Great story, great find! :icon_thumright: Keep the faith and the gold will come. Congrats again.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions