63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow Nick, the workmanship is awesome! What is left of my flu ridden brain says that you will be handling a huge amount of material. Also my brain is unable to visualize how your system works, the brain is just not working well enough to understand. I, like many others, will be SO interested to see your system in action! Looking forward to a real show...............63bkpkr

PS - found my topographic CD's and will be working on that location.

OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I designed it & paid a welder to make it.

I made a prototype from wood to test it. Its a bear! 2 people shoveling like mad men can't overload it & it captures the finest gold particles.

It works like a giant gold pan that drains the heavies from the bottom. The tank is not level it slopes to the drain side. The internals are not in the pic but they keep everything fluid so the heavier gold is at the drain.

http://www.cvprospectors.org/goldPan.cfm?pageTitle=

Last edited:

NeoTokyo

Bronze Member
Aug 27, 2012
Redding
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eyes - Nokta FORS Gold - Fisher Gold Bug II
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks freakin awesome! :D

63bkpkr

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XLT, GMT, 6000D Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotcha Nick! Thank you for the input. Now that I understand the principle I can see that your majorly large unit is my little Batpan though I've no drain in it.

The Batpan is made of plastic, it has long wide flat magnets glued to the outside of the pan walls, the magnetic flux penetrates the plastic side causing the magnetic black sands to cling to the inside of the pan this little trick really helps in the cleanups. If you had really strong rare earth magnets on the outside of your tank the flux might penetrate and grab the magnetic black sands, then again it might not penetrate. Might be worth a try?

Will truly be interested in seeing your unit in action!..........63bkpkr

OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm familiar with the bat pan. I don't have one but it looks awesome!

There is a whole lot more to my v tank. It works with water or air. It can be dredged into a crash box or directly into the water inlet. The pvc in the tank can be made to pass thru both sides of the tank. Enter one side - exit the opposite side.

The pvc does not have drilled holes it has mitered cuts from a saw. Using the tank with a shovel only water or air passes thru the pvc. When dredging everything can go thru the pvc. It catches fine gold up to the thickness of the mitered cuts. The larger passes thru to a sluice. It will surely catch a lot of fine gold that would run off the end of a conventional dredge sluice.

The hole on top is the discharge. The discharge is on the high side of the tank. Its a long way from where the gold will be!

I have six 35lb rare earth magnets & a sheet of the strongest magnetic sign material I could find. I'm thinking I will put the sheet on the inside of one whole side & hold it with the six magnets on the outside.

I'm not going to manufacture or sell the tanks but you could easily make your own with a plastic drum cut in half the long way. One half would be the tank the other would be the classifier. Its pretty simple & cheap.

Last edited:

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice job by the fabricator.Aluminum is tough to work with, Hard to bend that Vee shape in the tank.(easier to weld) Would probably crack but there are ways.Grain direction and bend radius, material, annealing are some factor. Anyway nice engineering job.

OP
OP
nickmarch

nickmarch

May 30, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
flyadive said:
Nice job by the fabricator.Aluminum is tough to work with, Hard to bend that Vee shape in the tank.(easier to weld) Would probably crack but there are ways.Grain direction and bend radius, material, annealing are some factor. Anyway nice engineering job.

The v is welded.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions