Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well..Im getting to the point where im ready to buy my second machine..And i was planning on getting he Garrett 1500...until i saw the price tag :-\ .. Then on another post i someone was talking about the Golden Umax..So im wanted to hear from some people who have used it

First off..they claim that there is a way to discriminate pull tabs from gold..is this true?
I use the Ace now..and have no luck with the gold..I do what most say and dig everything..but over the last week i save all my tabs to see what the ratios where..

Pull Tabs: 438
Nickels : 1
Gold Rings: Natta

and these where just the buried tabs not counting the tabs i picked up off the top

I know i proablly sound impatient..But there are some places where i think there are more tabs then dirt..and could stay in one spot for hours on end. I have posted a simliar posting in the past and got some good reponses..Most saying stop being a baby and dig the damn target. :tongue3:..

I just want to know if there is a Machine that is better at seeing the difference between pulltabs and gold rings..i almost feel goofey saying this..because im sure EVERYONE has wonder this before..

Any info on Golden Umax would be great..or if there is a machine specific to just finding gold.. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sorry. If you are not digging tabs, you are not digging gold. The ratio is probably like 1500 to one. Ah, but when that ring is there, you'll be ready to dig another 1500 for the chance at the next ring! Patience! It's there. TTC

slowNsteady

Mar 26, 2010
Broken Arrow, OK
Detector(s) used
Whites Beach Hunter, Fisher 1220 1225 F2 F4, BH Land Star, Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Vaquero
With the golden, you have the ability to adjust the notch width. That's really it. It's not going to get rid of pulltabs and hit on gold only. The Golden uMax is a tone only machine. Time on the machine listening to the tones (volume and quality) will teach you volumes. You will eventually be able to have a pretty good idea of what the target is before you dig. Look on the bright side. For every tab you dig up, you get to hone your skills and there's one less there for the next time.

njnydigger

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
I've swung White's (MXT), Minelab (Safari) & currently run with an Omega 8000 by Teknetics & Fisher CZ-3D (1021 Model)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting gold with ANY metal detector (regardless of price, brand or model) comes down to this...

Dig X amount of pull-tabs and bottle-caps to find X number of gold items :thumbsup:

Notice how I didn't put the amounts in where the X's are? Well, there's reason for this. Theoretically, the more tabs and caps you dig, the more gold you should get. However, this could be a bit deceiving. Why? Well, tell anyone new to the hobby that the ratio of pull-tabs to gold rings is, say, 800 to one, and they will go out and dig 800 pull-tabs A.S.A.P. And they might not get a ring and become disappointed.

Think of it this way...

I used to gamble quite a bit. And I'm sure you've played some slot machines before. Well, one would reason that the more money you dump into the slot machine the better odds of winning a jackpot, or, even anything. THEORETICALLY this may be true. But, i've seen people put hundreds, even thousands into one machine and get nothing. Then, some little old lady walks by and puts a quarter in and wins the jackpot. Starting to get the point?

In the long run, overall, the more junk you dig, the better stuff you'll find (gold included). But, in the short term, you might dig hundreds of pull-tabs for a month and finally get gold. And then go out the next day and dig 5 pull-tabs and get 3 gold pieces.

Point is, you never know when it's gonna come, so, just keep digging.

Finally, you have to figure out where you're hunting and what you hope to get from there. I myself DO NOT actively pursue jewelry on land (unless it's the beach). Why? Well, it's just NOT worth it for me to dig countless pull-tabs to MAYBE get some gold. That's just me though. I'd MUCH prefer using my hunting time on land to look for old coins. More plentiful and you don't have to dig many low tones. So, don't try to get all things out of all places. For jewelry, I hit the beaches. For coins, the woods and older sites. To kill time and practice on my detector, the newer parks.

Figuring out a game plan is important. Choosing WHERE TO HUNT is sometimes more important than anything else :thumbsup:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
njnydigger said:
Figuring out a game plan is important. Choosing WHERE TO HUNT is sometimes more important than anything else :thumbsup:
I'll second that, njnydigger! Most call that RESEARCH. TTC

JOE(USA)

Dec 3, 2006
New Milford,CT.
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes/Tiger Shark,Whites,B.H./ Teknetics,3DElectronics/ Two Box, Minelab XS,Excal.
Diggin-N-Dumps,

The key to finding a particular type of target is research. Yes, the detector used has something to do with it, As does the detectorist's ability. You mentioned an area that had "more pull tabs than dirt", well guess what? That's the wrong place to hunt. Think about it: you want a place where rich people hang out, no beer is allowed, physical activity taking place, etc.
The Tesoro Golden is a good detector for coin and jewelry hunting because it has tone ID,user adjustable notch filter,light weight, and a bomber lifetime warranty. The Tesoro "G" ad says: "Our adjustable notch window lets you, not the engineers,decide how to pick through the pull tabs to find the nickles and gold rings"...........
If you have any other specific questions concerning the Golden let me know.
Joe

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps,

Since gold rings are alloyed with different metals they have much different conductivity but ALL you really need to know is 90% of the gold rings are in the pull tab range. As Joe (USA) says, if there are more tabs there than dirt you may be hunting in the wrong place. Granted there will be a gold ring there, but how many tabs are you willing to dig? The Golden is a great detector as Joe (USA) should know being a Tesoro Dealer.

A tip for free: Use a knife with a blunt point for a probe as it will jam into the hole of the tab and you can lever it out of the ground. Most tabs aren't very deep and can be touched with the knife point. A tab or a coin feels different and you will soon be able to tell the difference so it will save a lot of digging which saves time for more probing, plus it causes less damage to the turf. :coffee2:

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for your feedback..I kinda sorta figured i was being a little impatient. Im thinking a Tone Machine is something i should invest in so i can get a start on learning it sounds..And i will admit...its hard somtimes looking at the "Todays Finds"..there are some people i see that find so much Gold and Silver.. But if it wasnt for this website i would be out there with my thumb up my arse

Thanks again for all you guy's input :thumbsup:

TORRERO

30+ YEARS, XP DEUS I & II ARE MY GO TO MACHINES
Nov 17, 2004
NC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS I & II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A tip for free: Use a knife with a blunt point for a probe as it will jam into the hole of the tab and you can lever it out of the ground. Most tabs aren't very deep and can be touched with the knife point. A tab or a coin feels different and you will soon be able to tell the difference so it will save a lot of digging which saves time for more probing, plus it causes less damage to the turf. :coffee2:

I use a flat head screwdriver to probe and it works well for me, but can go through cans and pulltabs...
I can generally feel an item below the surface then pop it out with the driver..

As for Gold, it's true it's a numbers game...
But you are obviously digging in a dirty place, someplace where most of us would not spend our free time.

I use a DFX with a number system from -95 to +95 and most gold rings come up in the
12 to 25 range, with pulltabs being mostly in the 20 to 40 range but either can be anywhere depending in the gold or pulltab content...

My suggestion to you is, if you want to get a gold ring to start your heart racing... go to your local
High School, and hunt the football fields if you can get into one...
Be carefull how you dig, but dig everything... In a nice football field there will be lots of less pulltabs
but many more "Drop" targets...
Good target ratio to bad...
Most... not all .... people in a football field do not throw their trash on the ground....

Then let us know how it came out...

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The person that can develop a detector that will discriminate out pull tabs without knocking out gold rings should patent it immediately. That person will make a fortune!

Sorry to say, if you want gold, the pull tabs come with it.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Diggin-N-Dumps said:
Thank you all for your feedback..I kinda sorta figured i was being a little impatient. Im thinking a Tone Machine is something i should invest in so i can get a start on learning it sounds..And i will admit...its hard somtimes looking at the "Todays Finds"..there are some people i see that find so much Gold and Silver.. But if it wasnt for this website i would be out there with my thumb up my arse

I recently went from an Ace 250 to a tone machine for relic type stuff (Tesoro Tejon). It takes some getting used to from the bell tones the Ace makes. It is a different language. I'm just starting to learn the different sounds it makes. A nice steady tone, a shorter tone with a bit of a chirp, a steady tone with a bit of a clip at the end. The tones can be interpreted. You just have to listen real close.

One thing to remember about the stuff you see in Today's Finds is those people probably have dug a bunch of junk to get the good stuff they find. I know my junk pouch is always much fuller than my keeper pouch.

Good Luck!
-Swartzie

OP
OP
Diggin-N-Dumps

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Swartzie said:
Diggin-N-Dumps said:

I recently went from an Ace 250 to a tone machine for relic type stuff (Tesoro Tejon). It takes some getting used to from the bell tones the Ace makes. It is a different language. I'm just starting to learn the different sounds it makes. A nice steady tone, a shorter tone with a bit of a chirp, a steady tone with a bit of a clip at the end. The tones can be interpreted. You just have to listen real close.

One thing to remember about the stuff you see in Today's Finds is those people probably have dug a bunch of junk to get the good stuff they find. I know my junk pouch is always much fuller than my keeper pouch.

Good Luck!
-Swartzie

Yea im thinking i want to start learning the tones now..I mean i love the Ace. because its very easy to use..But i just need that next step for deeper and possibaly better finds..And i know there will be alot of junk being dug..As much as i would love digging up gold daily..i know its far fetched..but i have noticed an increase in my daily finds..i was first finding about a 1.00-1.50 on my few hours hunts..and now im getting to the point where i always come back with 5 dollars or plus in clad... Im worried i cant get deep enough for the Silvers or Older coins..im up to about 80 dollars in clad..and yet to hit a silver..but im always optimistic...you have to be Doing this hobby :)

Uncle Willy

Oct 5, 2005
If there was such a machine every beeper swinger in the world would own one. You got to dig junk to get the gold as unfortunately it falls into the same conductive range as a lot of junk including tabs and foil. There is no magic solution.

Bill

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great advice given. I use a DFX as well and when it says ring/pull tab you most likely are going to get one of those. Machines don't tell you which it is. It does read the alloy of the object and give you a reading as to what it might be. To get gold rings you are going to have to dig pull tabs. I agree with finding a football/soccer field as they should have less pull tabs. My last few rings have been silver and they rang up reading either dime or quarter. So you get an extra surprise when you think you are digging a coin and a ring pops out. When you see people posting the rings they found you most likely will not see the pull tabs they dug to get them. I never post my pull tabs or junk either. So don't be discouraged if you are finding pull tabs. You actually are doing it right. Your machine just has not gone over the ring yet. And if you pass up a pull tab you may be passing up a ring.

Tykit

Jan 20, 2007
Middlesex, New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Fisher
I agree with all the responses given by others to your question. I have a Golden uMax and love it. Also have a Cortes, love it too. The Golden is so nice to use, just listen to the tones, no meter to check when a target is detected. And the Golden will get ladies gold rings easy down to 6" deep. I can set the Disc knob just above IRON and at the same time set the Notch to knock out most pulltabs. It will not knock out all tabs because some are the same signature as ladies rings. But it will knock out many for you. I also have two Fishers, rarely use them, will probably sell both, but will never let go of my Tesoros. I say you can't go wrong with the Golden.

mrwilburino

May 7, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Teknetics, Minelab, XP
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Golden seems like a pretty nice machine but some people say it's not deep enough. Does anyone have any measured air test or ground test numbers?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
3 points of interest --

#1 once one correctly adjust ones discrimation level on their machine * a nickle or gold item should sound solid and crisp sounding --while many tabs ( not all but many) will sound differantly --weak , broken up or crackly

#2 due to the fact that many pulltabs (esp old beavertail pull ring type) shape and size being similar to a gold ring plus the fact their electronic conductivity range being in the same basic range --it will be impossible to totally avoid them without possibly losing lots of rings and gold items

#3 if your not hitting pulltabs and nickles at all --your missing gold -- its a "numbers game"-- some are of the dig it all miss nothing school --others like me will razor edge adjust our discrimation levels ==passing up little if any worthwhile items but culling the bulk of tabs -- by doing so we dig "better chance odds" targets -- thus hopefully bettering our odds per 1000 holes dug.

George (MN)

May 16, 2005
The Golden u/Max I had came with a 7" widescan coil. It beeped on a coin to 7" in an air test. It did just slightly better with 10x12 concentric, maybe 8" but just a click at that distance.

The best detectors will get a solid beep to at least 11" on a dime in an air test. But some detectors get a higher or lower % of air test results when tested in ground. And the depth of many detectors varies greatly with mineralization.

Nearly all gold rings will ID as foil, nickel, pulltab, or a large ring maybe zinc. I think the fewest pulltabs per gold ring would be in the water, roughly about waist deep as the ring finger would be under water while standing. After being in the water awhile, the fingers start to shrivel (shrink) & the person may not know their ring slipped off until they are back on the beach. HH, George (MN)

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pull tabs are just part of the hobby and there's no avoiding them.

If it's rings your after then think about what causes them to fall off peoples fingers. IE When someone reaches into their pockets to get their keys out just before a parking lot, the approach to a snack stand, where people lay out and tan and rub on lotion.

As far as avoiding pull tabs, what works for me is learning the TID numbers. I've found that the vast majority of pull tabs fall under 2 categories the small newer tabs which read close to nickels and larger older tabs that read near zinc pennies. I've found that to be true on most of the TID machines I've used. And then theres the thousands that don't fit into any category

What I want to know is what provokes people to pull off their tabs and throw them on the ground?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread