My first time out with a metal detector

slwilliamssr

Aug 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
Well My wife's Ace 250 came in the first of the week. Mine will be here on Monday of next week. Well I was sitting around and was itching to go out and try my hand at metal detecting. I have never done it before but can't wait to get out there. Well my wife did not feel like going but she told me I could take her Ace 250 out if I wanted to, she did not have to offer more then the one time lol.

I was gone about and hour and a half counting the drive of 5 minutes to the local tot lot. I thought that it would be a good place to get my feet wet and learn how to pin point with the unit and start learning what the unit was trying to tell me and all that good stuff. Lets just say, I had a blast. I never thought MD'ing could be so much fun. Here is a link to my finds today. http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/Bendarz/2010-08-19203051.jpg

I hope that link works lol.

Upvote 0

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well gee, a gold coin is in the cards for you any day now! ;D What's that item at the top? Seems like ... possibly ... some sort of bent up bracelet or jewelry or something?

OP
OP
S

slwilliamssr

Aug 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
That was what I thought at first but it turns out that it is a piece of a pair of Eye glasses, It was sure cool to see gold but only in color this time around lol.

It sure was fun and I can't wait for my GTI 1500 to get here on Monday.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like you right on target for the Gold If you are digging up pull tab then gold will follow!!! HH Chug and Red

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These posts always bring me back to day 1! I am very fond of the memory of opening the detector, putting it together, and doing my first few hunts. I think I was made to do it because I can't explain the euphoria I was feeling at the time, almost like I could feel there was something more to be discovered.... and there was. ;D

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
People look at you funny when you tell them that you like to metal detect and the first words outta their mouth is, "Do you find any thing of value." I didn't care what it was when I first started, it was in the ground and I FOUND IT! :headbang: Soon it will be the only thought on your mind. Read all you can on the subject and never pass up on a metal detecting book or magazine.

Always remember it isn't about the profit, but the fun.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's just like Sandman says.

And the more time you spend with it, the better you'll get at it.

Welcome to the hobby. Happy hunting to you! :icon_thumleft:

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
RUN! Run now and as fast as the wind cuz you WILL get addicted! lol It's a GREAT hobby and I get out almost every day! If for some God forsaken reason I can't get out I sulk. Welcome to the forum where you will learn a whole LOT of good stuff!
Good Luck! :hello:

OP
OP
S

slwilliamssr

Aug 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
Well its to late to run because I have been stung by the detecting bug. I have been reading everything I can get my hands on and watching videos on metal detecting. Plus I have been lurking here on the forums as well as others and picking up on little tricks of the trade. From what I'm seeing now this will be a great hobby for the whole family. I know I was having a blast even when I was digging trash lol.

Thanks for all the support and feed back.
Sandy

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Welcome aboard :thumbsup: Don't dismiss those glass frames too soon, some were made with real gold. Can't hurt anything to get them checked.

HH Charlie

OP
OP
S

slwilliamssr

Aug 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
GTI 1500
colorado14ers said:
dig thoes pulltabs and you will get gold, i think ;D :tongue3:

Seeing how I'm new at this I dig everything. And gold would be nice for sure.

Yup got the eye glasses checked out, no gold :(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread