gonna sell coins to buy a new md

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
I'm gonna sell some coins and buy a new metal detector. I want one with a no motion all metal mode, one that has an lcd screen. I'll be using it mostly for hunting old abandoned farmhouses, ghost towns. Hopefully for right around or under about $500. The less money I spend on the detector=the less amount of coins Ill need to sell. I've been trying to read about all the different ones and I think its confusing. I dont know what to do. Any Ideas?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SteveDodds

SteveDodds

Dec 9, 2006
North Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5, BH 202
Haven't yet decided. Maybe the Fisher ID Edge or maybe a Whites Classic 5 ID Pro. I have a Quick Draw II but I wonder if I would be finding more with a better md. As of about 10 minutes ago the plug on my md was broken. I think I just fixed it. Gonna go try it.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With hunting sites like that you may run into a problem with "masking" on a more mid range machine. I know some more experiance guys will chime in here. I have both a mid range an high end machine.

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In short it means iron will mask out any good stuff. I didnt unerstan it untill i took a ime and some nails, burried them together an took my BH 3300, F75 and swung over them. The 3300 read as iron, the F75 you could hear the high tone in with the low "iron tone. In most cases you will do well with a mid ranged VID machine. My 3300 still does very well for common detecting. Have you looke at the F4 by fisher?

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
SteveDodds said:
I'm gonna sell some coins and buy a new metal detector. I want one with a no motion all metal mode, one that has an lcd screen. I'll be using it mostly for hunting old abandoned farmhouses, ghost towns. Hopefully for right around or under about $500. The less money I spend on the detector=the less amount of coins Ill need to sell. I've been trying to read about all the different ones and I think its confusing. I dont know what to do. Any Ideas?
Your requirements and price are right for a Fisher F4. Shop around on the web for price comparisons. Others may offer their favorites.

Silver Fox

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
EZrider said:
In short it means iron will mask out any good stuff. I didnt unerstan it untill i took a ime and some nails, burried them together an took my BH 3300, F75 and swung over them. The 3300 read as iron, the F75 you could hear the high tone in with the low "iron tone. In most cases you will do well with a mid ranged VID machine. My 3300 still does very well for common detecting. Have you looke at the F4 by fisher?
I just bought a 3300 and used it once, still waiting for better weather. But I noticed that the GB knob shaft is kind of flimsy although it might never get worse than its present condition. How do you feel about that?

I'll tell you that I'm considering a fix to stabilize the shaft by finding the equivalent of a metal washer but made of plastic with a hole just big enough to allow putting the shaft through and rotate but not allowing the shaft to move around as presently. Being made of plastic will allow me to use one of those super glues to afix the washer to the faceplate.

Silver Fox

EZrider

Mar 10, 2008
Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Fox
Are you talking about the ground balance knob shaft? Mine is a little stiff to turn and havent had a problem with it. Also if you havent already. Email Bounty hunter and ask them to send you a locking coller kit for your bounty hunters. Its free and they send you two kits for the shaft.

Silver Fox

Dec 8, 2007
New York City, USA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Land Star
EZrider said:
Silver Fox
Are you talking about the ground balance knob shaft? Mine is a little stiff to turn and havent had a problem with it. Also if you havent already. Email Bounty hunter and ask them to send you a locking coller kit for your bounty hunters. Its free and they send you two kits for the shaft.
Actually, although I read about "loose" rod sections my rod sections are not wobbly and the 2 9v batteries fit nice and tight. Those were 2 complaints that it seems a new engineer at Bounty Hunter may have addressed resulting in a better detector. But the GB knob was not corrected. The shaft protrudes through the faceplate and if you remove the knob you'll see that the hole that the shaft comes through is way larger than the diameter of the shaft resulting in some play. Can't replace the faceplate so I have to somehow narrow the hole and a plastic washer was my solution. I haven't found a plastic washer with just the right hole but I'm sure I will.

I don't want to abuse BH's generosity as at the moment I'm waiting on the mail to bring me a foam handgrip to replace mine which is split. My first call resulted in them not knowing what I was talking about so they sent me a flat foam piece with a peel-off adhesive which was not what I wanted. The second request was done via phone and email so in the email I sent them a picture of the 3000XD handgrip and also a photo of my split grip and the lady said that this time they were sending the right part: fingers crossed.

They're terrific about this 'cause I bought my detector used from another source but they're being very nice in supplying free parts.

So, since my rod sections fit nice and tight with no play, I'll leave it at that. But thanks for the suggestion, I appreciate it.

thompy

Bronze Member
Feb 19, 2005
Menominee, Michigan
Detector(s) used
T-2,
you can pick up a used t-2 for that price and the edge works very well in trash from what ive read, the new fisher f-5 is comming out, sounds good, but give it a little time to see how the masses rate it

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread