Good Bad and Ugly

Half-Hound

Jun 22, 2010
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
My Nose
March 8th, 2011
Los Angeles, California

I asked for a box of dimes from a Chase bank this evening. I hated it as soon as I saw it! It contained paper-wrapped rolls! I did one of these boxes before and it took forever. I prefer the rolls wrapped in plastic because I can edge-check without removing any coins.

At least the box wasn’t a skunk. If fact I found 5 silver dimes: 1942 Mercury, 1956 Roosevelt, and (3) 1964 Roosevelt – THE GOOD. I also was tricked by a 1993 Canadian dime that I’m assuming is not silver – THE BAD.

And … THE UGLY: One box is 50 x 50 = 2,500 dimes. And 2,500 dimes - 6 keepers = 2,494 dimes to be rerolled and returned to a bank! I have never seen a coin counting machine at any bank. They just are not used in my area. There are Coinstar Machines at most grocery stores, but they keep 9.25%. This will need to be done by hand.

I had fun finding the silver dimes, but now reality has set in. I have some work to do.

Half-Hound

2011 totals: 16 90% halves, 64 40% halves and now 16 silver dimes

Last Photo: While you folks back East have been freezing all winter, this shows what the coin hunting climate has been like on the west coast.

Attachments

• LITE GOOD BAD UGLY 8 March 2011.jpg
    LITE GOOD BAD UGLY 8 March 2011.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 474
  • LITE The Ugly.jpg
    LITE The Ugly.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 486
  • LITE California Wonder.jpg
    LITE California Wonder.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 466
Upvote 0

legend76

May 17, 2010
Tennessee
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minton7 said:
re-wrap each roll as you search it.. saves LOTS of tiem recounting each roll
That's what I do with halves, and it does save A LOT of time.
If you have to roll a lot of dumps, consider something like this:

Attachments

• dime counter.jpg
    dime counter.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 391

baltax

Mar 9, 2011
Double.check.with the.coin.stars
My bank has a branch in.one of the.stores like u mentioned they will give back what coin.star.takes

Ask the.bank in.the.store if.there is one if they offer this don't know.if any.others do
I just.found.this yesterday kinda sweet don't have.to bother my tellers

santafeboy

Dec 8, 2010
Detector(s) used
bounty hunter 1100
Those are great finds try doing 50 rolls of these and having the majority be 2010s. Also there is a technique I have learned where I can unwrap one end and then use a pen to push the dimes out thereby re using the roll, also I search and rewrap one roll at a time. Your finds are great on these I have recently been averaging one silver per $500

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
re-wrap those rolls. I have a free coin counter in my area but always get plastic wrapped rolls(BRINKS)... I actually would prefer paper wrapped rolls, but they're always plastic wrapped brinks rolls. What supplier are the paper wrapped rolls?
:icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

alpha105

May 19, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coin counter came up $32 short one time on dimes.....wont do dimes again.....G/L tho =)

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
I too am on the west coast and I know that Chase uses NF string FED rolls for all coinage. As for dimes, I just go to BofA or Wells Fargo, they have the clear plastic rolls that you can edge check in 5 minutes.

We don't have coin counters in our area too. Have to rewrap all paper roll ones.

However, I do think that the paper wrapped ones do provide more keepers than the clear plastic ones. Getting 5 keeper dimes per $500 is considered a good box.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bad thing about the clear plastic wrap is sometime you can miss a silver coin by edge checking. This happen to me one time and now I open all of them.....Matt

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
mlayers said:
Bad thing about the clear plastic wrap is sometime you can miss a silver coin by edge checking. This happen to me one time and now I open all of them.....Matt

If you look carefully enough.. you can find it in clear wraps.. in dimes... the only coins one just needs to check are coins with all white metal or it they are all black with tarnish. Any dime with any copper/orange/red edge are clad, not silver.

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SFBayArea said:
mlayers said:

If you look carefully enough.. you can find it in clear wraps.. in dimes... the only coins one just needs to check are coins with all white metal or it they are all black with tarnish. Any dime with any copper/orange/red edge are clad, not silver.
I carefully examined a dime roll with clear plastic(Brinks) and saw all "copper" edges... opened the roll anyway and out popped a 1947 roosevelt dime which I wouldn't have spotted from edge-searching. Advise, open all plastic rolls incase of grimy, old, or worn down silver coins.

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
BuffaloBoy said:
SFBayArea said:
mlayers said:

I carefully examined a dime roll with clear plastic(Brinks) and saw all "copper" edges... opened the roll anyway and out popped a 1947 roosevelt dime which I wouldn't have spotted from edge-searching. Advise, open all plastic rolls incase of grimy, old, or worn down silver coins.

Hmmm .. I've never seen a 90% silver coin with copper edging.. has anyone else seen one? Post pics if possible. The only way, that I think copper color might be on the edge of a 90%er is because of toning. However, I've seen toning on coins so much that I can tell the difference. Also if you compare the white color of silver to nickel, they have slight different tints too. It all comes down to have much have you looked at and after a while your eye gets trained to tell the difference.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice hauls on those dimes. It has taken me over a year just to obtain one single roll! And you find 5 in one setting. :icon_sunny:

apush :read2:

kd5txx

Nov 5, 2009
Lexington KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 350
I did a bag of $1000 in dimes once. Found 9 silver dimes. I have never done another dime bag.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread