Good day on a Northern Civil War Calvary camp

chiloquin

Dec 21, 2011
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out for a few hours Saturday and Sunday at a Northern Calvary camp. The main house was built in 1858, moved to the back of the property and "new" 1883 mansion on the hill was built. I hit this property a couple of times before the new owners bought it and found a couple of bullets. I got permission to hunt the entire property from the new owners. :hello2: The property is about 6 acres and was the site of a late Civil War Calvary camp in North Georgia. There were over 900 bullets pulled from the property by a single individual several years ago. With that in mind, I decided to grid off several small sections of the upper and lower property hoping the previous hunter left a few goodies. First out of the ground on Saturday was the Silver pencil near a large oak tree. Next was the .50cal? sharps rimfire shell right at the base of the same tree, and then the Mercury Dime. Today I decided to move close to the main road and grid off a large rectangular area at the bottom of the property. All three bullets were found within about a 50ft square. Any help on the bullets would be......well helpful. The tent rivet was on the way back to the car on a steep slope. I'm going to take my time and really give this property a slow going over. Thanks for looking, GL and HH.

Attachments

• two days finds 2.jpg
    two days finds 2.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 144
  • two days finds.jpg
    two days finds.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 121
  • pencil parts.jpg
    pencil parts.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 138
  • silver pencil with lead.jpg
    silver pencil with lead.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 125
  • silver pencil.jpg
    silver pencil.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 118
Upvote 5

TheGoldProspector

Apr 14, 2014
Gold Country - California
Detector(s) used
-Keene A52 - Fab2.5 Highbanker - GoldNSand Hand Dredge

Garrett AT Pro - Bazooka Gold Trap 30" Prospector - Garrett Ace 250 - Blue Bowl Concentrator
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Wow, Awesome Finds!!!

mirage83

Dec 20, 2009
NW Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, XLT
Nice finds you've got there, really like the pencil. Your two-ringer bullets have a number of possible ID's depending on their specific dimensions. Any chance you have or could borrow a set of calipers to measure them with? It would definitely help determine what weapon they were used in.

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Sep 6, 2013
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like a nice spot. Beautiful silver relic.

beez0404

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2014
Newton, NC
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on some excellent CW finds. If you need any help hunting that site let me know, I'll be glad to drive down for a couple days!!!

OP
OP
chiloquin

chiloquin

Dec 21, 2011
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds you've got there, really like the pencil. Your two-ringer bullets have a number of possible ID's depending on their specific dimensions. Any chance you have or could borrow a set of calipers to measure them with? It would definitely help determine what weapon they were used in.
I'll get a set from a friend this week and post the dimensions. Thanks for the help.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good work and research.

OP
OP
chiloquin

chiloquin

Dec 21, 2011
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the great replies. I'll be placing the finds in a shadow box for the land owners to put on their mantle. I think that would be something they could share with visitors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread