Good day on a Northern Civil War Calvary camp

chiloquin

Dec 21, 2011
Coeur D'Alene, Idaho
Detector(s) used
DFX 300, XP Deus, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got out for a few hours Saturday and Sunday at a Northern Calvary camp. The main house was built in 1858, moved to the back of the property and "new" 1883 mansion on the hill was built. I hit this property a couple of times before the new owners bought it and found a couple of bullets. I got permission to hunt the entire property from the new owners. :hello2: The property is about 6 acres and was the site of a late Civil War Calvary camp in North Georgia. There were over 900 bullets pulled from the property by a single individual several years ago. With that in mind, I decided to grid off several small sections of the upper and lower property hoping the previous hunter left a few goodies. First out of the ground on Saturday was the Silver pencil near a large oak tree. Next was the .50cal? sharps rimfire shell right at the base of the same tree, and then the Mercury Dime. Today I decided to move close to the main road and grid off a large rectangular area at the bottom of the property. All three bullets were found within about a 50ft square. Any help on the bullets would be......well helpful. The tent rivet was on the way back to the car on a steep slope. I'm going to take my time and really give this property a slow going over. Thanks for looking, GL and HH.

Attachments

• two days finds 2.jpg
    two days finds 2.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 145
  • two days finds.jpg
    two days finds.jpg
    468 KB · Views: 122
  • pencil parts.jpg
    pencil parts.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 139
  • silver pencil with lead.jpg
    silver pencil with lead.jpg
    400.8 KB · Views: 126
  • silver pencil.jpg
    silver pencil.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 119
Upvote 5
Wow, Awesome Finds!!!

Nice finds you've got there, really like the pencil. Your two-ringer bullets have a number of possible ID's depending on their specific dimensions. Any chance you have or could borrow a set of calipers to measure them with? It would definitely help determine what weapon they were used in.

That looks like a nice spot. Beautiful silver relic.

Congrats on some excellent CW finds. If you need any help hunting that site let me know, I'll be glad to drive down for a couple days!!!

Nice finds you've got there, really like the pencil. Your two-ringer bullets have a number of possible ID's depending on their specific dimensions. Any chance you have or could borrow a set of calipers to measure them with? It would definitely help determine what weapon they were used in.
I'll get a set from a friend this week and post the dimensions. Thanks for the help.

Good work and research.

Thanks for the great replies. I'll be placing the finds in a shadow box for the land owners to put on their mantle. I think that would be something they could share with visitors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back