Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030, Excalibur II, V3i, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/09/100913121656.htm

Video Games Lead to Faster Decisions That Are No Less Accurate
ScienceDaily (Sep. 13, 2010) — Cognitive scientists from the University of Rochester have discovered that playing action video games trains people to make the right decisions faster. The researchers found that video game players develop a heightened sensitivity to what is going on around them, and this benefit doesn't just make them better at playing video games, but improves a wide variety of general skills that can help with everyday activities like multitasking, driving, reading small print, keeping track of friends in a crowd, and navigating around town (...and detecting :dontknow: ).

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder if I can use that skill set in my next job interview. :dontknow: I'll tell my potential employer that I am an expert in several games and can make the quick and proper decision based upon the above study. :icon_thumleft:

It was also a know fact that playing games improved your eye hand coordination, unless you're playing one of those games that can set off a seizure.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
:D Lol. Knowledge of the subject matter is something they don't talk about, but I assume is a requirement regardless of how this information is applied.

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for breaking my bubble... :crybaby2: And here I thought I had a new approach for the interview. Oh well, it's back to square one :tongue3:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
spartacus53 said:
Thanks for breaking my bubble... :crybaby2: And here I thought I had a new approach for the interview. Oh well, it's back to square one :tongue3:

Don't sweat it Spart. In today's world of "equal opportunity employment" knowledge of the subject matter seldom comes into play anyhow. :laughing7:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
spartacus53 said:

Since the only subject matter an avid gamer knows is games, they become testers, coders or in a job somehow related to the gaming industry...do what you love. You can still make it work Spart. Start gaming 24/7 for a couple of years and you'll be ready for the big leagues :laughing7: :notworthy: :headbang:

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Just finished "Red dead redemption"..huge "cowboy" game, and "Halo: Reach" arrived yesterday morning! :headbang:

The new "medal of honor" released 15th oct
"fallout3-New Vegas" - 22nd oct
"Fable 3"- 29th oct
"Call of duty-black ops" - 9th nov

I'll be a genius before christmas!!! ;D

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And studies show there can be some benefit to drinking a glass of wine a day.... but not 2-3 bottles. In my opinion it's a joke to think there is any benefit to gaming when you look at all the hours you could have been doing something else. My point being can someone into games just play 1 hour a day? I think you can pretty much spin anything to find a positive in it.

I think sitting in a chair looking at a computer screen for hours a week (a very large amount for me) pretty much erases all the little positives listed in the study above.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dano Sverige said:
Just finished "Red dead redemption"..huge "cowboy" game, and "Halo: Reach" arrived yesterday morning! :headbang:

The new "medal of honor" released 15th oct
"fallout3-New Vegas" - 22nd oct
"Fable 3"- 29th oct
"Call of duty-black ops" - 9th nov

I'll be a genius before christmas!!! ;D

Sweet :headbang: Definitely PhD material :wink:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
And studies show there can be some benefit to drinking a glass of wine a day.... but not 2-3 bottles. In my opinion it's a joke to think there is any benefit to gaming when you look at all the hours you could have been doing something else. My point being can someone into games just play 1 hour a day? I think you can pretty much spin anything to find a positive in it.

I think sitting in a chair looking at a computer screen for hours a week (a very large amount for me) pretty much erases all the little positives listed in the study above.

As we know, or learn, or are forced to learn, moderation is key to many things :notworthy: :notworthy:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Beep Goes On said:
Iron Patch said:

As we know, or learn, or are forced to learn, moderation is key to many things :notworthy: :notworthy:

For sure, I'm usually not good at it though.

NoNeck

Aug 31, 2010
Wichita Falls, TX
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Ace 250, Garrett PP, Lesche
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow a thread about gamers. I played COD4 everday all day for about 1.5 years and competing in leauges until recently when I decided to start taking MDing more serouis. I still have gaming buddies always wanting me to scrim and ring for them but I have not played since realy getting into mding more.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NoNeck said:
Wow a thread about gamers. I played COD4 everday all day for about 1.5 years and competing in leauges until recently when I decided to start taking MDing more serouis. I still have gaming buddies always wanting me to scrim and ring for them but I have not played since realy getting into mding more.

I've been sucked into a couple of MMO's. Not a good idea for me, personally. Too much investment...in the end, the playing of the game is the only reward, which is fleeting.

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Only played "Battlefield 1942" and it's update mod "modern combat", online. It was enough,found myself spending 16-20 hours a day on there!!
I stick to game's "single player" mode now. Although if the builders ever manage to finish our house modifications we'll have 2 PC's, 2 xbox 360's, 2 PS3's and a Wii all "online ready"! (Well the PC's already are obviously lol, but all will be connected through each other and to the TV's)
Dreading it really now winters closing in and me being soft, no detecting until next year, so will be "online overdosing" probably! :laughing9:

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dano Sverige said:
Only played "Battlefield 1942" and it's update mod "modern combat", online. It was enough,found myself spending 16-20 hours a day on there!!
I stick to game's "single player" mode now. Although if the builders ever manage to finish our house modifications we'll have 2 PC's, 2 xbox 360's, 2 PS3's and a Wii all "online ready"! (Well the PC's already are obviously lol, but all will be connected through each other and to the TV's)
Dreading it really now winters closing in and me being soft, no detecting until next year, so will be "online overdosing" probably! :laughing9:

You're wired, big-time! I am experiencing something similar for the first time. I hadn't gotten a new cell phone for a long (long) time, but the plans, pricepoint and capabilities have improved lately so I got a Samsung Vibrant (T-Mobile version) with unlimited everything. No different than a small laptop nowadays, really. Great...I can bug everyone no matter where I am (that means you Dano!)!

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
Yeah..the girlfirend bought me one for about $1200! Has a little flip out keyboard,touch screen and screen flick..all technical crap. Can't use it as it refuses to change into English from Swedish,keys on the keyboard are too small for my fat fingers,and the lil' pencil thingy for pressing into the screen doesn't work,so again my fingers are too fat!!

P!$$ on technology i say! >:(

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some of you may be sadden by today's news; Brian Wood, a 33 year-old lead designer at popular game developer Relic Entertainment was killed in a traffic accident. He was responsible for the game Company of Heroes. After I read the article I went to the website to see the games. Pretty awesome graphics and action. I see that great detail was given to the armaments of WWII.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
My wife and I play call of duty modern warfare II online almost every night for a while. We have fun and it kinda has taken our "tv" time spot in the evening, which is fine by me. We work together as a team and have a lot more fun than we would just watching tv.

OP
OP
The Beep Goes On

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2006
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
cheese said:
My wife and I play call of duty modern warfare II online almost every night for a while. We have fun and it kinda has taken our "tv" time spot in the evening, which is fine by me. We work together as a team and have a lot more fun than we would just watching tv.

It is what you make of it, which can be a good thing. Only when it becomes obtrusive or obsessive can it become a problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread