Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MDT, Nox, Blue Xcals and CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im on the search to find another pair of headphones. Im using Koss right now with the Explorer SE. Sad to say but all the expensive headphones ive looked at seem to have all the same specs. The only difference seems to be price, bells and whistles and maybe durability. The ones im leaning toward are .... Blackwidows, Killer B Wasps, Sunray pro golds, and a newer one Bushmasters. Anyone know much about these other than whats on the web sites? I was told the Bushmasters have some new technology.

Dew

spartacus53

Banned
Jul 5, 2009
Whiting, NJ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used 2 old cans of Bumble Bee tuna, with wires duct taped to them for years, maybe why that's why I never find anything. :icon_scratch:

You may want to scour some of the posts in the Metal Detecting and brands topic forum. I did see one discussion several months ago on headphones. They had mention of Killer B and the Gray Ghost. I think you may even be able to use the search mode which is on top line next to the home, rules help..

Good luck

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
There's no use in skimping on headphones in my opinion. Pay a thousand for a detector maybe...and then stick cheapo phones on it, may have well as bought a "Radio shack" one!
You need phones with volume controls,preferably on each ear. Grey Ghost NDT's do the job.They also have detachable wire so that if it breaks you just unclip it and fit a new wire! Mine came with a spare wire,dunno about in the states.
The sunray pro golds get good reviews too.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This isnt my first rodeo, ive been in detecting a good while now. I have to agree with you totally Dano about having cheap phones or even phones not matched to your detector give crappy response. Thats why i kind of expected some of the gurus on here to chime in on their experience with some of the phones ive mentioned. So the only difference between a $80 pair and $130 pair is knobs, switches, and replaceable cords? Ive even seen a post recently for a pair of $70 ear buds for detector use. Now that would make sense with all the IPODs and new electronics using them. They would just have to put a more durable cord.

Dew

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
"Ear buds" don't keep out the wind,and on beaches especially that's a huge disadvantage!

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Ear phones are a hard call. They only list frequency responce and internal resistance and perhaps power input limits. These don't tell you the quality of the sound. You have to look at how they fit you and your situation. As Dano mentioned wind noise can be a problem. I am wondering if those external noise cancelling phones would work well. If I could only get the responce of my wave radio out of them.

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
I find the gray ghosts more comfortable then the sunrays. Otherwise I wouldn't go without either, I do believe performance wise they are the same.

OP
OP
dewcon4414

dewcon4414

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2006
Gulf Coast, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im interested in these Bushmasters... take a look at them guys and let me know what you think. Its hard to tell since the designer told the seller to use the same info from other headphones... but that they have different tech that wont be released. Couple of guys that told me to look at them were sold on them as have better sound quality and sturdier. Anyone elce using them???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread