Upvote 0

AGCoinHunter

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2009
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 (MD) Bare hands (CRH)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, awsome score there timbobwey. Were these in CWR's? (customer wrapped rolls) Take some pics and post them. Would love to see an indian tribe.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
AGCoinHunter said:
Wow, awsome score there timbobwey. Were these in CWR's? (customer wrapped rolls) Take some pics and post them. Would love to see an indian tribe.

I agree most post photo's of the injuns.

Mojo

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pick-up! Go back and buy nickels, dimes, etc. Who knows how much of a collection was turned in.

BTW, how long before we're told to call it a "Native American" cent?

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will post pics soon, I don't have a digi camera, my mom has one though. She is in florida for a few days, but I will post for sure when I can. I've only come across a few indian heads in my entire life before this so I knew it was a big score. Yes they were in customer wrapped rolls. I never thought about getting quarters nickels and dimes, but you're right, they might have dropped off a whole collection of goodies. I will have to hit the bank hard tomorrow.

Rich Hartford

Silver Member
Nov 27, 2008
Immy said:
Nice pick-up! Go back and buy nickels, dimes, etc. Who knows how much of a collection was turned in.

BTW, how long before we're told to call it a "Native American" cent?

I have no use for political correctness but listen to this.
A month or so ago I was at the local Hindu convenience store (down the road from the Hindu Motel) and overheard a conversation between a customer and the owner.
The customer had apparently gotten an Indian head penny in change at the store and was verbally excited over his find.
The owner was claiming that it was not an IH but an old American penny,and that he should know because he is from India and never gives out foreign change.(That's a lie) The customer points out the coin to the owner and proclaims "this is an Indian Head". The owner tells the customer "that is a penny" and points to the dot on his forehead and shouts "this is an Indian head".
I started laughing at this exchange.
It made me think though. Perhaps we shouldn't be told to use the term"Native American" but use it voluntarily,to avoid confusion in these times.
Then I thought, well after 7 generations of us Hartford's being in America from Europe, I'm kind of an Native American too. So I refer to myself as one and in fact used that term in in a job application.
To take it a step further anyone who is born in this country is a Native American.
HH
Rich

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just came across something very interesting! In my 1983 Redbook of U.S. coins under "Indian head cents" it says "The small cent was redesigned in 1859 and the representation of an Indian girl was adopted as the obverse device."

In my 2010 Redbook under "Indian head cents" It says "The Indian head design....is actually a representation of Lady Liberty wearing an Indian headress, NOT an actual Indian."

So, what are we to call these 1859-1909 small cents???

Immy

Silver Member
Mar 12, 2005
Vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very interesting find thrill!

The change came into effect with the 1997 edition of the Red Book. Decided to do some digging and it looks like some new info surfaced around that time. From Alan Herbert's 1995 book Coin Clinic:

Q: Was James B. Longacre's daughter Sara used as the model for the Indian cent?

There is some new and convincing evidence that she was the model. However, this is a reversal of generally accepted information, including Longacre's statement that he used a Greco-Roman statue of Venus, as borne out by the mature features of the coin design. The information on the use of Sara as the model can be traced to William Brimelow, known as "Bill the Coin Man." In the 1930s he did a weekly radio program on coins, as well as writing articles for publication in the coin magazines of the day. One of the stories he wrote cited the "Indian chief and the headdress" story, indicating that the story stemmed from a direct descendant of the Longacre family who lived in the same city where Brimelow broadcast from. The discrediting of the story was based at least in part on an incorrect date for Sara's birth. She was much younger than the "30 years old" generally ascribed to the time period when the model was made.

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, you really can learn wealth of knowledge on this forum
Neat stuff guys

OP
OP
timbobwey

timbobwey

Bronze Member
Mar 16, 2009
MI
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I read that copper from england was used to make pennies in the 1800's. In 1850, they started using copper from the mines in Michigan's U.P.

coinmojo

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
Michigan
Immy said:
Very interesting find thrill!

The change came into effect with the 1997 edition of the Red Book. Decided to do some digging and it looks like some new info surfaced around that time. From Alan Herbert's 1995 book Coin Clinic:

Q: Was James B. Longacre's daughter Sara used as the model for the Indian cent?

There is some new and convincing evidence that she was the model. However, this is a reversal of generally accepted information, including Longacre's statement that he used a Greco-Roman statue of Venus, as borne out by the mature features of the coin design. The information on the use of Sara as the model can be traced to William Brimelow, known as "Bill the Coin Man." In the 1930s he did a weekly radio program on coins, as well as writing articles for publication in the coin magazines of the day. One of the stories he wrote cited the "Indian chief and the headdress" story, indicating that the story stemmed from a direct descendant of the Longacre family who lived in the same city where Brimelow broadcast from. The discrediting of the story was based at least in part on an incorrect date for Sara's birth. She was much younger than the "30 years old" generally ascribed to the time period when the model was made.

Unrelated to the Indian penny but relative in the fact that a common Irish girl was used as a model for the image that was used on the currency in Ireland.
My wife is 1/2 Irish and last summer traveled to Ireland to visit relatives. Turns out she is somehow related to Lady Lavery. The woman depicted on Irish currency from 1929 through 1977.

http://www.irishpapermoney.com/a/a0a.html

Mojo

Attachments

• lady lavery.jpg
    lady lavery.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 291
  • lady lavery.jpg
    lady lavery.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 285

jrf30

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
CO, AZ
Detector(s) used
dfx, Ryedale!
Great find. Might be the most IHs found at one time this year by anyone.

I've found ... 1 so far this year. Vs 2 in 2008 and 2 in 2007. So I need ot find one in the next 8 days or I'll lose my streak. LOL.

11. WOW. Great job!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread