Good starter detectors

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'm 14 and I'd like to start metal detecting. My budget is around 250 dollars. I would be hunting mainly in parks or fields. What brands are good bad and how Is the bounty hunter brand I've seen it in papers at sporting goodstores. Also is Kelly co a good websites to buy from they seem to include a lot of extras. Thanks!

Upvote 0

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just takes time & practice

foiledagain

Greenie
Jun 25, 2013
British Columbia
Detector(s) used
Current detector is a Tesoro compadre
Ex ace 250 user
tecnetics d 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please look at other detectors other than the ace 150/250 as they do not have a numeric display , this was a massive disappointment on my first detector and the reason i sold it fast . much happier with the teknetics deta 4000 and pistol pro pointer . if you can take some coins to test out machine before you buy , i wish i did.

scrapiron

Greenie
Jun 30, 2013
I have been looking for a new detector i am looking at tesoros and i have contacted miller mdz they are SUPER people i highly recommend calling them

NJnuggetpirate

Bronze Member
Feb 14, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett PRO POINTER
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please look at other detectors other than the ace 150/250 as they do not have a numeric display , this was a massive disappointment on my first detector and the reason i sold it fast . much happier with the teknetics deta 4000 and pistol pro pointer . if you can take some coins to test out machine before you buy , i wish i did.

Do you know what teknetics metal detector was the new one the guy bought and used in dig wars

OP
OP
crhgymnast1

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

What's a numeric display

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That technetics chrome one isnt out yet

Is the ARM cuff bolt loose ?

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Numeric meaning vid #' depth sensitivity whole mine yards info

OP
OP
crhgymnast1

crhgymnast1

Jun 14, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm most likely getting the f2 anyways so is that a good choice

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm most likely getting the f2 anyways so is that a good choice

Its a very well put together detector & they have some great packages for it to good luck

maddmaxx

Tenderfoot
Jul 7, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
isntead of me starting a new thread... Opinions on the Garrett Freedom Ace Plus?

RotZorn

Feb 12, 2013
Munford, TN
Detector(s) used
F5,F2,MPX,1T-Pilot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
isntead of me starting a new thread... Opinions on the Garrett Freedom Ace Plus?

Don't know much about the FAP, but I'm gonna go out on a limb and say its better than no detector at all?!?! Lol

I didn't think they made those anymore? Where did you find one? Used?

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would check this out from Big Boy Hobbies: Teknetics EuroTek Pro Metal Detector | BigBoysHobbies

You might also check out the Fisher F2 or Garrett Ace 250 all under your $250 price range. Check out the supporting vendor thread here: Supporting Vendors

The reviews will speak for themselves! Good luck!

Great advice!

I highly reccomend all three of those as starters. Depending on situation and location on which one. The new Tek is VERY hard to beat!

Holler if I can help with questions in any way. I use them all.

Last edited:

Gene@Kellyco

Dec 15, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi I'm 14 and I'd like to start metal detecting. My budget is around 250 dollars. I would be hunting mainly in parks or fields. What brands are good bad and how Is the bounty hunter brand I've seen it in papers at sporting goodstores. Also is Kelly co a good websites to buy from they seem to include a lot of extras. Thanks!

Hey crhgymnast1, we at Kellyco love to see the next generation of metal detectorists! Give me a shout directly at 888-535-5926 ext 106. I'm the sales manager here and will do what I can to help you out, I look forward to hearing from you!

Gene Knight
Director of International and Domestic Sales
Kellyco Metal Detectors

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread