Good to see some action in Canada subforums!

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
As I read through the TNet forums I always check in here (being from Canada obviously) and it's nice to see some posting going on finally.

I have a question regarding fields and farm fields. I see guys like Crusader and others in England just roam farm fields and make fabulous finds. Now I don't expect to find Celtic coins etc here but there's got to be something right? Is it worth my time to approach some farmers and see if I can wander in their fields?

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think research is the key. There are some fellows here in Windsor that hunt fields, but these fields used to be homesteads or war of 1812 spots. They routinely find buttons off of 1812 uniforms and coins from the late 1700's and early 1800's. One of the guys has a history degree so he knows where to go. I've seen other posts from Saskatchewan where there have been some great finds, but again, the field was more than a field a hundred years ago. Personally, unless I knew that a field has some historical significance, I would probably find somewhere else to hunt. If you are getting permission anyway, why not hunt close to the old farm houses. That's probably going to pay off.

Dan

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Here on the westcoast, our history starts around the 1850's (as far as stuff to find with MD's goes), so I'm always a bit envious to think of the history back east. Of course, the history in Europe/England is something else again, but it's always interesting to read about stuff in your own country.

Jay

T

The.Boomer

Cache' Hunting is always a good chance around farms or homesteads. Check into the Cache' forum here for tips on where to look. You can also find such things as gemstones or indian artifacts like arrow heads etc... All of which have their own forums here for info.

T

The.Boomer

Hey Jim, yep I own some property over in western part of Ontario, near lake of the woods, just north of Rainy River. Would love a chance, hopefully one day soon, to come out your way and check out the gold prospects.

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
You can find a lot of good info at your local archives, just be very polite and respectful with the archivist and he just might start you on your way to good finds. I just go in and lay it straight out, I say what kind of stuff I'm looking for and what I do, secrecy just hampers good open communication.

Eastern Ontario has a surprisingly interesting history. My local archivist gave me a copy of an old map of the area that shows where schools and churches used to be. Oh yeah and don't forget to tip them for their services(if they have a tip jar it will be clearly visible while others just charge you a flat fee).

OP
OP
CanadianTrout

CanadianTrout

May 21, 2007
Canada
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Prime said:
You can find a lot of good info at your local archives, just be very polite and respectful with the archivist and he just might start you on your way to good finds. I just go in and lay it straight out, I say what kind of stuff I'm looking for and what I do, secrecy just hampers good open communication.

Eastern Ontario has a surprisingly interesting history. My local archivist gave me a copy of an old map of the area that shows where schools and churches used to be. Oh yeah and don't forget to tip them for their services(if they have a tip jar it will be clearly visible while others just charge you a flat fee).

That's very interesting to hear Prime. Where or how do I find my "local archivist"? I live in Kitchener, ON and there is a lot of history around here from the earliest fur traders (due to the large Grand River that runs through this area), to native settlements (again due to river) to Menonites and early German settlers (later 1700's to early 1800's)

I'd be interested to see what I could learn from my local archivist.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Where or how do I find my "local archivist"?

Many city halls have an archival section with old photos, etc. Also there are provincial archives, although these may be in the provincial capital. I know BC's is in Victoria.

Your local library should have old city directories and newspapers(on microfiche probably).

There is also some info online like...

http://ao.minisisinc.com/scripts/mwimain.dll/144/IMAGES?DIRECTSEARCH

The online visual archives are always fun to check out.

Lastly, your city may have a local museum, also with old photos, etc. It would be nice if all info & photos were available in a one central database, but this isn't always the case.

Happy hunting in the old part of the country :icon_sunny:

Jay

Prime

Apr 30, 2004
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI2500 with EagleEye.
Primary Interest:
Other
Saturna gave some good tips, that said, the simplest route to start with is to head to your local library and ask where the town archives are located. Some towns have the archives located in the main library while others have a dedicated archives building.

I suggest you start with the basics: an old town map which the archives should have a copy of. If it's anything like the ones I received it will contain the original locations of churches and schools. Besides those you should ask about places of gathering such as campgrounds or fairgrounds, old factories or mills, old garbage dump sites.

If I were you I'd also ask about any legends of treasure having been buried in the area. You'd think that they might not be willing to share that kind of info, but they were open about it when I asked.

Side topic, I've been meaning to get into prospecting as well but have no clue where gold might be found other than Madoc which is pretty far from me. That said, I'll go there anyways, I just wish there were good spots closer to me that I could start with.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread