Detecting in Nova Scotia provincial parks

wv2b

Jul 30, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Folks,
heading to cape breton, and taking the detector. One beach I want to detect is partly in a provincial picnic park. Is it permitted to detect there, or would I have to stay outside the park boundaries {if marked}? I know the National Park is out, but not sure of the provincial ones. hate to get into trouble, even though I really want to detect this one beach. Any other regulations, etc. i should know about? Thanks. Feel free to reply direct to my E-mail wv2b at frontiernet dot net. Duane, New Yprk State USA

Dan B

Sep 16, 2007
Windsor Ontario
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero. Whites MX Sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been wanting to take my bicycle out to Cape Breton and ride some of those hills. I would be taking my detector too, so I wouldn't mind hearing the response to this question too.

Dan

OP
OP
W

wv2b

Jul 30, 2008
Detector(s) used
Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks,

Back from detecting on Cape Breton. Actually didn't spend a lot of time detecting as there is so much to do!

Detected in the Provincail Park beach. They had a sign with rules and regs, but nothing about detecting. Said you could't remove any natural objects {coins are not natural!}. Actually, the park was very small, so we walked down the beach, and likely were never actually detecting in the park. Anyhting up to the highest water mark is free game, so as long as you got access to the beach legitimately withoput trespassing landownwrs can't say anyhting if you stay below the highest tide mark.

Not much luck on the beach, but found out later we were not in the exact right areas for the shipwreck anyway. But, found some loonies and toonies, and a lot of of sheet brass, maybe from a shipwreck?

Detected the yard of the old farmhouse, now a nice rental cottge. Found a 1908 half cent and a 1949 Canadian nickel, and lots of farm type relics, and a horseshoe with a snow cleat.

The beaches don't have that much traffic, so make for slow detecting, unless you did like me and researched a shipwreck and try to find something you might attribute to the shipwreck. I also detected a little bit at the meat cove campground and found British and American coins, but the ground was so dry, despite contual rain, that I gave up after a couple minute because I didn't want to make dead spots in the grass. One might have found something shipwreck related on the little pebble beach, but it was too loaded with various aluminum from the fishing industry, and all kinds of bits of wire, etc. Amazing to be at one of the remotest locations in North America and see how man has poluted it!

My suggestion would be to ride the trail on your bike, and stop at some of the older looking farmhouses and ask them if you can detect. The locals are very nice, and I can't imagine them saying no if they understand what you want to do. Might try going on some side roads as well. Lots of old places in the farm oriented areas like Middle River, Margaree, and over that way. if you see a US license in the drive don't stop, as they are tourists or renters and probably will be rude.

I'm looking forward to another year when i will try again on the right part of the beach and fill my bag with shipwreck coins!

Also, fished for makeral on the North Bay wharf in Ingonish. The young man in our party caught 9 mackeral in less than an hour, and man were they good!

Also, try cruising North mountain going on sundown or late afternoon going on evening. We saw 6 moose. They stand right in the ditch next to the road and you can stop on the road about 5 feet from them and they don't move, just let you film and take pictures.

Also, walk out Skyline trail. Watch for moose lying down on the side of the trail. They stay still, and hundreds of folks march by and never see them, even though they are only about 30 feet away! Take it easy going out, it is harder coming back, and take off your hat when you clear the forest, otherwise it's going bye-bye! But, it will be one of the most breathtaking hikes you'll ever take.

Also, saw lots of whales right from the road going to Meat Cove. Why pay for a whale watch when you can sit in your car and watch them? maybe they aren't always there, but we had no trouble spotting them.

Bye for now,
Duane

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread