paleomaxx

Aug 14, 2016
Upstate, NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus XP
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was driving by one of my old permissions and I noticed they were pulling out their in-ground pool so there was scraped ground and piles of dirt all over the place. The first time I detected there I didn't find all that much, but it's a house right in the center of the very old town and I suspected more was hiding under layers of fill. I stopped and got the go ahead to give it another shot and the results were much better this time. For starters I found a bunch of buttons including a few tombacs:

DSC06528.JPG

I did a very careful grid since in a few days everything would be reburied and this was the one shot. I was surprised by the sheer number and variety of coins though. There were two IH pennies.

DSC06529.JPG DSC06530.JPG

An 1863 and a 1885. Even better was the shield nickel which actually has a clear date!

DSC06532.JPG DSC06533.JPG

It's 1867 and I usually find them completely toasted so this was great to see. Best though was the draped bust large cent:

DSC06535.JPG DSC06536.JPG

I love it when these have the black patina and it's very nicely preserved. The date is 1805, but the 5 is very thin so there isn't much contrast to see it. I don't dare mess with it further so I'm going to leave the dirt it has on there which I think gives it better eye appeal anyways. With all the tombacs I was hoping British halfpenny or some other early coppers would turn up and while 1805 was the earliest date for the day, I did find a completely unexpected British coin:

DSC06538.JPG DSC06540.JPG

Don't feel bad if you don't recognize it, I certainly didn't, but it turns out it's an 1836 farthing! I've never seen one dug around here and it seems it wasn't a particularly popular coin in those days. In all likelihood it made it's way down from Canada and it's about the right size for a half-cent so maybe it was passed around at that value. In any case pretty cool to find.

No silver unfortunately and oddly no older relics besides the buttons. This week it'll all be smoothed over and likely covered with rock for a driveway so that's that, but I'm very glad I stopped and caught it when I did!

Upvote 33

Clad2Silver

Bronze Member
Jul 17, 2018
Eastern Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/ Garrett AT Pro/ Garrett Ace 400/ Garrett Pro Pointer 2 / Garrett Z-Lynk AT Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice finds......in nice condition too.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!! Bucket Listers!!!

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds Max, that draped bust is a real looker!!

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am glad you got in there in time to make the saves. Would have been a shame if such great pieces of history were buried over for good. All nice finds, but I especially love that Draped Bust Cent. Thanks for sharing.

pa-dirt_nc-sand

Silver Member
Apr 18, 2016
South Western PA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250 with DD coil
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh boy, that Draped Bust is nice! The old half penny is a great find. Always fun to find a coin that is old and unusual. Congrats

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great variety of coins. I like that Large Cent, along with all the buttons, and your Shield Nickel is in excellent shape.

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great recoveries and that draped bust is a real keeper! Congrats on it and thanks for the story!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang great job on the coins

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Love the old coppers, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread