goofiest relic find

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
About 1980 I was searching an entire block that was torn down for a strip mall in a residential section of Bloomington, Illinois. I got a huge signal and when I dug it I had an exact replica of the key to Independence Hall in Philadelphia that had been issued by a defunct bank in 1876 to celebrate the US Centennial and was given to their biggest depositors. I hauled it to the local truck stop to show my friends and that launched a bidding war that ended when I accepted a hundred bucks for it. I had not been trying to sell it. An AU barber dime found the same day was also sold to onlookers at the truckstop so I had a one day haul of over $200 and still had all the other coins I found. I've made more in a day before and since then but never that easily. Exanimo, SS

coinshooter

Bronze Member
Mar 20, 2003
So. Cal.
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found one of those rubber toy knives (with a metal pin it it). It looks like a full sized buck knife, but is blue plastic.
Also found a nudie heads tails coin.

A

abrakdabra

Hmm, goofiest relic find. Nothing as goofy as you guys, but goofy in my own way.
Like a shovel for example, kind of ironic. Digging up something that was used to dig. I think it was a very old shovel blade, and of a certain old shovel style, and I debated inwardly about keeping this but feared this would lead to 'old shovel blade collecting' and decided to leave it alone :)
How about bottle openers. Sure, they're old bottle openers. With some kind of old style plastic inset into the metal. And the opener part is the width for an old style, narrow bottle cap. But it's still just a friggin bottle opener. I've found a couple of those. Left it alone, no collection officially but they have been WD-40'd and 'await further assessment :)
How about a wire grill, for barbequeing. What was that doing on a slope in the woods beside an old fort? Why, it was a picnic. I hung it on a tree, no collection. The detector went nuts. I thought it was a whole suit of armor :)

N

neu

goofiest relics... seems like all i can find anymore is goofy things, i was detecting out at my house today, a place i have hunted for years, hoping to turn up the remains of the old cabin that burned down here, i always seem to find something that my brother or me buried as kids, along with burned up cans, tin roofing, shovels, toy soldiers, i think the goofiest thing i found out here i found today, i got a great signal, dug for about 25 minutes, i started seeing the rust in the soil about 6 inches down and started digging with my hands so i wouldnt mess it up, turned out to be a mason jar full of gi-joes that my oldest brother buried, part of his time capsule.

daytondigger

Bronze Member
Oct 6, 2004
Dayton, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5
While wading through sting weeds and poison ivy on a quest for a buried payroll, I located a large target that was a few inches down in a swampy area. I was certain I had found the payroll!!! Digging all around it, I pried it up and discovered a "No Tresspassing" sign!?! I was 12 and it was my first "treasure" hunt.

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Mine was finding a pot pipe that was a few inches down, it was still full. Any suggestions how to determine if the owner was ripped off?

The Pete

Jan 14, 2005
Different things are keepers to some people! i hate to think they dropped it and didn't notice.

msalmon

Tenderfoot
Jan 14, 2005
I was on my way home from my parents house turned the corner and there was a metal detector lying in the middle of the road. one of those bobcat detectors. had a loose wire soldered it and it worked fine. kind of funny since i already owned four detectors.
Mike

D

Darod

Coinshooter,

I laughed my *ss off when I saw that Gameboy pic. The sand in the screen just struck me as funny as *ell. Strange how somethings just seem so funny when they really aren't that funny at all. ;D :D

That is one goofy find for sure :)

Here's my goofiest find, I found a Disney "Goofy" character flashlight on the edge of a Volleyball court (just in case your wondering , I'm in Florida and they have sand volleyball courts at all the recreational parks). How's that for a goofy find ;D Not much of a "relic" but a goofy find none-the-less.

Rod

EyeShine

Sep 3, 2005
The Pete said:
Mine was finding a pot pipe that was a few inches down, it was still full. Any suggestions how to determine if the owner was ripped off?

You could smoke it.... ;D

pickaback

Jul 12, 2005
PA
My goofiest find was my own pen. I knew it was mine because I had lost it not long before and because it was engraved with my name on it!
p

SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Gold Member
May 22, 2005
Primary Interest:
Other
Found in the woods, while searching for an old boys camp.

A urinal.

all have a good un
SHERMANVILLE ILLINOIS

Attachments

• urinaldig2.JPG
    urinaldig2.JPG
    97.6 KB · Views: 1,275

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
On the first trip out with a new detector, a Cobra Beach Magnet, I got a hit in the middle of nowhere.? Started digging and after about twenty minutes or so I found my prize.? About 14 to 16 inches down in hard packed dirt in the middle of a dried streambed was the prettiest 1970's pull tab type crushed Pepsi can that you have ever seen.? At least it proved that it will hunt pretty deep!!! 8)? ( I also came home with a '41 Mercury dime and two different Mexican coins from '74 and '71)

SORRY, NO PIC OF THE CAN!

Attachments

• First Trip.JPG
    First Trip.JPG
    13.7 KB · Views: 1,202

JakePhelps

Silver Member
Jul 7, 2005
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Howd you get 14-16 inches on a cobra?! I have it and even if you turn the depth knob all the way up to 10 i think it is, its only ike 9 inches. Is there like a secret i dont know about ::)

DigEmAll

Aug 29, 2005
Eastern UP, Michigan
A crushed aluminum can makes a pretty good target! Besides that, I guess I am just lucky! ;) The deepest "real" artifact I have found with the Cobra was the 50 centavos pictured above, on the same hunt, that was about five inches deep. Maybe it just liked the soil in which I was hunting! ;D

C

cm5838

I accidentaly found my daughters dead goldfish she buried it in a sucrets tin box, and i thought i found something good.
Charles

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this once but it didn't show up so.....Dead cat in a lime green sack! jimakaks

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread